X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KohnW
    • Nov 2005

Speaker / Subwoofer Recommendation

Preface: Currently updating AV system in my home. I have decided to go with the Rotel RSP-1098 Processor, with the RMB-1075 and RB-1070 Amps for 7.1 surround.

Now my conundrum has become what speakers / sub will be a suitable match to the components mentioned above? If you have recommendations from personal experience you would like to share, I would be grateful. I'm looking for a mix of good quality / high value if that guides your recommendation or is helpful in someway.

Thanks in advance.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I've moved your thread here since it's not Rotel specific. Welcome to the forum!

Kevin D.

Comment

• motoxlrg
      • Nov 2005

Greetingts all,
      I'm in the same boat as KohnW, I have purchased an RSP-1068 and a RMB-1075 and still have not decided on speakers. Does anybody have experience with Mordaunt-Short speakers? I have an opportunity to buy a set of Avant 908's and 903's with the 905 center. Are they any good? It seems they are more popular in the U.K. than they are here in the U.S., I'm not sure why??? Also, are the THX certified versions of these speakers much better? They will be replacing the set I've been offered.

Thanks in advance for any help.
      -Jim

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

What's your budget KohnW?

Sub wise: I'd go with an SVS. They are nearly untouchable for the money in terms of output for the money. You don't need to buy the same sub as your main speakers.

Comment

• JazzGuyy
          • Nov 2003

I have the RSP-1098 feeding Von Schweikert 4jrs with a Von Schweikert LCR-15 for the center channel. This might be more bucks than you would want to go. Have other amps than Rotel, though. As for a sub, I've had mine for a while (M&K MX-200) but think that you would want to consider subs from Hsu, SVS, AV123 and Velodyne, at least.

Comment

• KohnW
            • Nov 2005

Thanks Shane and JazzGuy, I appreciate your responses.

As or budget I'm at a loss, not sure how much is required to get good quality at a high value. I think overall I would want to stay below 5K, but that is just a gut thing, not based on much else.

Comment

• pistolpete
              • Oct 2005

For sub I would look at SVS and also Dayton from Parts Express. Here is a link to the Dayton Titanic III 15". I think it is one of the best value out there as far as subs go.

Speakers?
              My budget pick would have to be Paradigm. Dynaudio is a good step up from there (large price range of speakers, $500 to $85000). My top pick would be Thiel. Not cheap but wonderful speakers.

Best thing to do is go and listen to them because we all have different ears. I know it is hard to find dealers near you that offer all the brands you would like to hear, but this is a big investment and should be done right.

Also, I believe that the most money should be put towards speakers. Which do you think would sound better:
              1) A system with $1000 amp and a $10,000 pair of speakers.
              OR
              2) A system with $10,000 amp and a $1000 pair of speakers.

I say # 1 wins.
              amp meaning all the electronics(CD, preamp, amp, etc)

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

As or budget I'm at a loss, not sure how much is required to get good quality at a high value
                It's obviously going to depend on each individual person because we all value things differently.

Options:
                ACI http://www.audioc.com - Factory direct but a stellar value
                Paradigm Reference. I preferred the 40's over the 60's, 80's and 100's.
                Monitor Audio Gold
                B&W

Truthfully, I'd take your favorite cd's and go listen. You should be able to define your preferences and determine what you like and what works for you. We can suggest all day but in the end, you will pull the trigger.

Comment

• george_k
                  • Jan 2004

pistolpete,

You make a few claims which are either too vague or not totally accurate,

I don't think having $10,000 speakers driven by $1000 worth of components would sound better than the opposite, it all boils down the the weakest link in the chain.

You also go on to say that more money should be put into speakers but again without this comment isn't very informative as there might be specific circumstances where this doesn't work for the better. For instance, spending more money on speakers when your room acoustics are a mess might not yield a significant improvement in sound quality.

Comment

• pistolpete
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by george_k
                    pistolpete,

You make a few claims which are either too vague or not totally accurate,

I don't think having $10,000 speakers driven by $1000 worth of components would sound better than the opposite, it all boils down the the weakest link in the chain.

You also go on to say that more money should be put into speakers but again without this comment isn't very informative as there might be specific circumstances where this doesn't work for the better. For instance, spending more money on speakers when your room acoustics are a mess might not yield a significant improvement in sound quality.
                    I said, "I think" that $10,000 speakers driven by $1000 gear would sound better than the opposite. I have heard it many time with my ears, and again, I said, "I THINK!" I also happen to "think" you are WRONG! This is assuming that these $10,000 speakers are worth $10,000 and not a pair of $10,000 Bose.
                    Also, I assumed that we all have some common sense. For instance, spending more money on speakers when you are homeless and don't have a room to put them in is not what I am recommending. :T

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

pistolpete, I'm with you on this one. A system with a $1,000 amp and a $10,000 pair of speakers will sound better than a system with $10,000 amp and a $1,000 pair of speakers, 99 times out of 100.

If you conducted a blind test with a room full of people I bet you that most of the people would be able to tell the difference between the $1,000 and $10,000 speakers. However when it comes to the amp test I bet you that it would be 50/50 because most of the people would have to guess.

Furthermore if you played the $1,000 amp 1dB louder than the $10,000 amp I bet most of the people would select the $1,000 amp.

Of course none of this applies to the members of this forum who have far more cultured ears than the people in that blind test!

Comment

• Taito
                        • Sep 2004

Hi KohnW, welcome!

As to the $10K Vs $1K discussed here - how about some middle ground guys -> $4-5K on amplification, $6-7K on speakers.

But to get back on topic, I'd give the Cobalt line from Focal JM Lab a listen. -can possibly do a 5 channel system + sub from elsewhere for $5K or so. There aren't too many reviews for the SW800 (sub in that series), but what there is seems to say it's ok for the money.

I'm running a pair of Cobalt 826S from an RB-1080 and love the sound. Also try B&W (probably 700 series). A different sound to JM Lab, but also good. These are the top two selling speaker brands in Europe (#1 = B&W, #2 = JM lab). I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Good luck and happy listening, Ben

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

My favorites are B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, PSB, Totem and Vienna Acoustics for not-stratospheric speakers. SVS, HSU, Velodyne or DIY for subs
                          Jason

Comment

• Foxman
                            • Jan 2003

I am a Klipsch fan personaly, but don't take anyones opinion when it comes to speakers.

The best advice is to go out and demo as many differant speakers as yuou can with music and movies that you are personaly very familier with. I would suggest taking notes. I would listen to speakers of all differant price ranges in order to find what you like. Once you have found what characteristics you like, then it is a matter of narrowing down various speakers with similar characteristics and of course at that point budget comes into the picture. Once you have that all hammered out I would try to arrainge a demo with comperable equipment, idealy an in home demo.

As far as a sub, SVS would be my primary choice, but there are many subs to choose from.

Happy hunting.
                            IMO

My Movies
                            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"