X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

Polk Audio XRT XM tuner?

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the polk audio xm tuner. How is the sound, what is the best way to hook it up, etc.
    I am interested in this product for the variety of music XM satellite radio offers but I want good sound as well - or better than normal radio anyways.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

Anyone?

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I've installed about 12 of them. Compared to a good FM tuner, XM (none of them) will ever compare in the sound quality. Using the digital output, it can sound what I would consider 'pretty good'. Based on sound quality, I would never use either Sirius or XM, but if the service was free I wouldn't mind having the Polk piece.

As far as the piece, it's one of the better xm's out there. Looks a whole lot better then a pocket tuner, plus you can't beat the video output so you can actually see what's playing (and the channel your on).

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kens1
        • Mar 2005

I thought if you used the digital connection it would bypass the burr brown DAC's in the polk tuner. Would it not be better to use analogue connections?

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

I don't have the home tuner, but the built in tuner in my car is head and shoulders beyond the closest FM stations in terms of quality. I am not sure if the comparison is good compared to the home units, but just my .02.

Comment

• Cornchips
            • Nov 2005

I've used the polk tuner for a few months now...

Compared to a 1st generation XM SkiFi tuner in a home cradle -- it's wonderful.

Compared to FM, avg CD players and even Comcast digital cable (DCT-2XXX box via Coax or Toslink) -- it's pathetic.

I'm in an urban area so I don't get a Sat signal -- just a repeater. Not really a problem.

I have noticed a wide range in sound quality between different XM channels. Doesn't seem logical but it's very noticable.

As far as connections go: It's been connected to a Rotel RSX-1055, a NAD T763 and a Rotel RSX-1067 with avg+ coax, toslink and interconnect cables.

My A-B-C comparison results: Prefer coax to toslink for clarity and depth. Analog seems to deliver more low-end freq and DBs -- but with less clarity.

The monitor/display option is nice (handy).

The remote is garbage and the unit doesn't respond well to other remotes (my experience).

In truth, I prefer the sound quality (encoded Dolby Digital 2.0) and music of Music Choice via Comcast.

Hope this helps.

--ksr
            atlanta, ga
            Don't touch that wire...
            The touching story of one man and several amplifiers.

Comment

• Cornchips
              • Nov 2005

One last thought:

You can return the sucker (if you get it from Circuit City) but I'm pretty sure you forfeit some cash to XM if you cancel.

Find an activated unit and borrow it for a weekend.

--ksr
              Don't touch that wire...
              The touching story of one man and several amplifiers.

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

I guess there is no free trial period then?!

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

The Polk is not bad. I have installed a few. Yammy has the tunner built in already.. so do most of the new Denon's so it kind of limits it to distributed audio were the Surround sound reciever is not used for the other zones and that stuff. I have also installed the Kenwood Sirrius tunner for distributed audio, and it works good as well.

Keep in mind that most of the people just use them for casual listening. Hanging out on the deck BBQing and playing cards and that sort of stuff. If you are wanting to do serious music listening...then stick with SACD and CD's. Just my thoughts on the matter.

But over all the Polk is a good unit I think.
                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I havent heard the polk piece, ive seen the yamahas with the built in tuners, and have installed... several hundred car units since xm was released in.. what winter of... 2000?

I myself dont even have my XM hooked up to my home stereo system, because I just dont feel the quality is there. My XM is running wireless FM modded to my sony alarm clock radio in my bedroom.... LOL

Its nice to have to listen to whatever you want just about whenever... but i have yet to hear quality sat radio... Dont think it will happen.
                    B&W

Comment

• Kens1
                      • Mar 2005

I've had the Polk unit for about 3 weeks now. I have it connected with quality rca's vs. the digital coax. I too notice different channels have different quality of sound.
                      However, as stated already I find the quality of sound totally acceptable for casual listening even at higher volumes. I enjoy the depth of the playlists very much and I am learning about some new blues and jazz artists which is sort of the reason I wanted XM. If I really like the particular artist I usually buy the cd for more critical listening.
                      I do find the sound quality better than any FM stations we have locally.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"