Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Thiel CS 2.4

Briefly heard the Thiel 2.4's yesterday, very good. The were hooked up to:
    Classe CDP-100 CD player
    Classe CDP-500 PreAmp
    Bryston 7B SST monoblocks.

Has anyone listened to, or have these with other gear?
    What do you think?

Thanks.
    Greg
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I got to listen to Thiel's when I purchased my B&W's. Initially, I listened to the 703's, then to the Thiel 2.4's. The Thiel's sounded great and in fact were my first choice. I understand they are very hard to drive, but that's only my memory of what the salesperson said. When I listened to the B&W 803's, I seemed to like them better. This was all a year ago.

All that being said, it's really about personal taste. If they sound good to you...

PS -
    I went with B&W 703's because (at the time) I wanted 5.1 channels and could not afford more expensive speakers. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the best 2-ch setup I could, and add later on.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Thanks Grit. I just 2 channel, and I want to buy a speaker I'll be happy with
      for a bit. I have to go back and listen some more, and with different (more affordable) amps, and pre amps.

Thanks.
      Greg

Comment

• r100gs
        • May 2005

Great speaker! It has great bass response and the highend to go along with it. They are a 4 ohms speaker and like some wattage. I would look towards an amp that can handle 4 ohms and not drop wattage. Example rating: 100 watts @ 8 ohms and 200 watts @ 4 ohms instead of 100 watts @ 8 ohms and 150 watts @ 4 ohms.
        Jay

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

You'll not regret the Thiel's at all, but you might try comparing to some other brands too (just to make sure you're spending your money where you'll best enjoy it). I'd check out Aerial Acoustics too if you get a chance.

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

ok. Thanks.
            Greg

Comment

• pistolpete
              • Oct 2005

I have been in this hobby for about 20 years now. I used to ride my bike to Paragon Sound in Toledo Ohio and listen to all the systems there. That is where Thiel got me hooked. I have to say that I think Thiel is one of the (if not the) best speaker company out there.
              I have Dynaudio speakers now, but in 1.5 years(my budget problems will be gone) I plan to buy the next CS3.6(CS3.7?). I needed a speaker that could do critical listening and flat out rock, so that is why I picked Dynaudio over the Thiels. The only Thiels I could afford were the CS.5 or the CS1.5(they are no longer made and were 6.5" two ways). The CS2.4 and up can handle both. Also, is there a sexier looking speaker out there?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

I absolutely hate Thiel. My classical musician friend does as well. I thought it was one room but I've heard Thiels on 3 seperate occasions and all 3 auditions stunk.

The problems:

Shril/bright/excessive sbillance
                Poor imaging/soundstaging

Also, is there a sexier looking speaker out there?
                Yes. Avalons and Aerial Acoustics to name a couple.

Comment

• pistolpete
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                  I absolutely hate Thiel. My classical musician friend does as well. I thought it was one room but I've heard Thiels on 3 seperate occasions and all 3 auditions stunk.

The problems:

Shril/bright/excessive sbillance
                  Poor imaging/soundstaging

Yes. Avalons and Aerial Acoustics to name a couple.
                  WOW!?!?!?!?!?

You might want to look into ear transplants? Or hook them up to some quality gear.
                  To each his own?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

You might want to look into ear transplants? Or hook them up to some quality gear.
                    To each his own?
                    Levinson gear is not quality? I don't need ear transplants.

Comment

• Phil Rose
                      • Aug 2000

The Thiel 2.4's are reviewed in this months Stereophile. It's an interesting read. One that you want to interpret carefully. It's interesting to note that the system GregLett heard them on was using Bryston 7B SSTs which seems to support the popular belief, and one echoed in Stereophile, that they are a hard load to drive.

Years ago I listened to the 2.2s and found them to be on the bright side however, it may have been a function of the room.

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

I had a pair of the 2.3s a few years ago. I thought they were great spekers, I was driving them with an Audio Research amp and a Sonic Frontiers front end. I later upgraded to the big Sonic Frontiers Power 3 monos.

They were, in fact, hard to drive - the amp I am using now to run a pair of Martin Logans would not handle the Thiels.

Good luck and trust your own ears on what you like/dislike.
                        Danish

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

Thanks guys. I did read the review in Stereophile. I've heard from different folks that Thiels are difficult to setup in the room, and that you would not get the best of them if they are not correctly setup. The little I heard was good, the
                          soundstage was great.
                          Greg

Comment

• pistolpete
                            • Oct 2005

Well, then the rest of us must need new ears. Here are some quotes and awards that Thiel has received. Yes, sometimes you get good reviews on sub par gear, but nobody says things like this even about average gear.

"The THIEL CS7.2s are among the very small handful of loudspeakers that could be considered the best in the world...
                            At $13,500 a pair, I'd put 'em against anybody's $80,000 contender."
                            --Wes Phillips, Soundstage!

"In an industry riddled with over-priced and under-performing components, a speaker like this is a breath of fresh air...here's a speaker that's demonstrably superior to those pretenders in a number of respects." (CS 2.4)

"The THIEL CS2.4 is simply superb..."

The CS2.4 won 6moons.com '"Blue Moon" award for "setting a new
                            high water mark" for speakers under $5000.

THIEL's newest floor-standing speakers, the CS1.6 and the CS2.4 were named as an "Editors' Choice" for 2004 by The Absolute Sound. The CS1.6 has been a choice since its introduction in 2002 and the CS2.4's choice is a repeat from last year's award.

New CS2.4 "one of the very best I've heard," named a "Reviewers' Choice" by SoundStage.

6 Moons calls the CS 2.4 "the most accomplished speaker I've ever heard in its class."

CS2.4 named an Electronic House "Product of the Year"

CS2.4 named Innovations Design and Engineering Award Winner for 2004

;x( THIEL
                            Last edited by pistolpete; 28 October 2005, 17:14 Friday.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2001

Well, then the rest of us must need new ears
                              Not really. We all have our preferences. Different strokes aka why they offer different flavors of ice cream.

If we all liked the same thing, it would be a boring world.

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

I'm a big Thiel fan. Too rich for my budget though, unless I downsized from 5.1 to stereo.
                                ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
                                  • May 2005

Might be a problem for me too, unless I get it used. Still a few months away from making a purchase, but I may not be able to break the 2K barrier for a
                                  spell.
                                  Greg

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"