X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRX04
    • Oct 2005

Multi-channel amp with Paradigm's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings to all,

I've got upgraditis in the purest sense....starting from scratch!! Well almost. I had a pair of klipsch horns which I recently upgraded to Paradigm studio 100's V3. (6 months old GREAT local deal on ebay). Currently I'm driving them using a HK AVR 7300 reciever (Their top of the line 110w X7).

Currently I'm using anti-cables for the paradigm's and am wondering what would be the next logical step. I listen to 60% music/ 40% movies. When listening to the paradigms with various types of music the woofers are barely moving even when i change the x-over freq's. I've heard that the paradigms really need alot of power so I'm considering a good multi-channel amp.

My very short list includes:

Anthem MCA 50
    Parasound halo A51
    Parasound new clasic 5250
    Rotel mult-channel suggestions??????
    Sunfire cinema grand sig or orig.

From what brent has told me very little sonic difference between the 5250 and A51. But I do love the Halo look and class A amp for most listening. The paradigms tend to be bright so a 'warm' sounding amp seems in order. All suggestions are welcome. I'll most likely be making this purchase 'blind'...I have 4 kids under 8....

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by SRX04; 24 October 2005, 11:14 Monday.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Moved here to get more response.

Kevin D.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Rotel RMB-1095 is a good start, that's their 200x5 amp.
      RSP-1098 for pre/pro.
      Greg

Comment

• SRX04
        • Oct 2005

The Rotel 1095 won't work in my rack..too tall at 9.5 inches

Too bad the price is right AND transferable warranty

I will only have 1 to 1.5 inch clearance for most amps with other sides open. Is this enough room? Any comparable price/performance digital amps if this is unacceptable??

Thanks

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

RMB-1077... will thoroughly destroy the Studio 100's .... in a very good and pleasing way.

It should fit too, considering it's only 2 7/8" tall.

It's easily as good (if not slightly better) than the RMB-1095 and this would give you more room too for the RSP-1098!!!! ;x(
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
            RMB-1077... will thoroughly destroy the Studio 100's .... in a very good and pleasing way.

It should fit too, considering it's only 2 7/8" tall.

It's easily as good (if not slightly better) than the RMB-1095 and this would give you more room too for the RSP-1098!!!! ;x(

Really! I was wondering about that,but I wasn't sure the wattage was enough, so I kept quiet.
            Greg

Comment

• cuda65
              • Feb 2005

I like how the Anthem matches up with my Paradigm 100's. Just my 2 cents. good luck in your choice.
              Doug

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Wattage doesn't really mean jack when it comes to digital switching amps...

This 100watt/channel 1077 will easily keep up and most likely out perform the 200watt/channel 1095...

only thing is you can't bridge a digital amp, but you could psuedo biamp it.

It's definitely a heavy hitter.

I would even say the 1077 will pretty easily drive a pair of N802Ds.........and still have enough to drive all 5 other channels.

Though I would really use something like the NuForce Ref. 9 amps for the N802Ds or wail till Rotel releases the 2ch/ 200 watt digital amps. Especially since you know Rotel will be designing and testing them on B&W 802Ds.
                -Dan

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

One would assume, as dangerous as that is, that Anthem amps would be a good match to Paradigm speakers.
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• SRX04
                    • Oct 2005

Wattage doesn't really mean jack when it comes to digital switching amps...

This 100watt/channel 1077 will easily keep up and most likely out perform the 200watt/channel 1095...

only thing is you can't bridge a digital amp, but you could psuedo biamp it.

It's definitely a heavy hitter.

I would even say the 1077 will pretty easily drive a pair of N802Ds.........and still have enough to drive all 5 other channels.

Though I would really use something like the NuForce Ref. 9 amps for the N802Ds or wail till Rotel releases the 2ch/ 200 watt digital amps. Especially since you know Rotel will be designing and testing them on B&W 802Ds.

Wow so digital amps are the new up and coming thing huh? Not just smoke and mirrors. I wonder if 5-10 years from now SS amps will be collecting dust on store shelves?

I mean they just sound too good to be true...Low-to no heat, nice and small to actually have some clearance, Non-existant noise floor....pinch me!!!

This complicates matters, back to the old drawing board. I was all set to find a used A51 off ebay or audiogon. Or, dare i say, a couple JC1's (although 2 of em would only drive 4 channels). It suprises me why more high quality 3 channel amps aren't made ie parasound,rotel. This would fit the bill for me since I'll initially be using my reciever as a pre/pro. I considered a nice 2 channel amp but want more quality power to my cc570 center channel.

.......ah decisions to make....here we go again!!!!!!!

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Ehh... moving from Klipsch, I would recommend Parasound or Sunfire instead of the Rotel. I'm a little surprise that you would say the Paradigms are bright considering that you just had Klipsch, and those are really forward and bright. Regardless, I think the Rotels will be too laid back for the Paradigms. If you listen to any rock or rap, I would recommend against Rotels. I tried Rotel with my B&W 805s, but it sounded good for jazz and classical, but heavier music sounded very bland. Just my suggestion from my experience.

With the Parasound amps. I have listened to the 2125, and it still carries the same sound that Parasound had with their older amps. Unfortunately, I have not been able to listen to the Halo line so I don't know if it's that much better. It does look good though.

Good luck.
                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• SRX04
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                        Ehh... moving from Klipsch, I would recommend Parasound or Sunfire instead of the Rotel. I'm a little surprise that you would say the Paradigms are bright considering that you just had Klipsch, and those are really forward and bright. Regardless, I think the Rotels will be too laid back for the Paradigms. If you listen to any rock or rap, I would recommend against Rotels. I tried Rotel with my B&W 805s, but it sounded good for jazz and classical, but heavier music sounded very bland. Just my suggestion from my experience.

With the Parasound amps. I have listened to the 2125, and it still carries the same sound that Parasound had with their older amps. Unfortunately, I have not been able to listen to the Halo line so I don't know if it's that much better. It does look good though.

Good luck.

I had a pair of lower-end klipsh's and never really did much 'critical' listening. The bass response isn't there with the 100's that I expected. I blame my 110w HK reciever for this. Maybe the lack of bass Is throwing off the tonal balance to make the 100's seem 'bright' (don't know...its just what i hear).

This digital amp thing has me spinning now.....which way to go :roll:

I like the halo's appearance and circutry...but I love the 5250's price..and from what I hear 95+% performance of the A51

All input is appreciated.......

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

I would seriously look at NuForce if that's the case...

You can get three Ref 9 amps for a pretty good deal through NextLevelAV.com (Jim Piscitello and Andrew Pratt from here and site sponsor), which since they are mono blocks, you'd just get three to push you front three speakers...

If you want bass, these amps will give you bass like you've never had before. It's unreal what they can do. There is a slight "breakin"/"you getting used to them" curve of about 40 hours or so...but as soon as you plug them in you'll notice immediate improvement in both the low and high especially and the clarity of the mid range...

Definitely worth talking to Jim/Andrew and seeing what they will do for you, making it well worth the price.

The NuForce Ref. 9s are definitely amps you'll keep for a long time with no need to upgrade. The Ref 9s (if you look at the reviews) are already pushing "hard to drive" speakers effortlessly, and it's the ability of the amp to adjust extremely quickly to the impedence curve of the speaker.

I know it sounds like I'm marketing...which I'm not trying to do, but it's just the facts of how these amps are.

They are a little more forward than some care to like, but the soundstage and detail is above and beyond anything in the same price point...

Plus I think Nextlevelav will give you a demo period to return them if you don't like them...though I'd ask about that.
                          -Dan

Comment

• SRX04
                            • Oct 2005

I would seriously look at NuForce if that's the case...

You can get three Ref 9 amps for a pretty good deal through NextLevelAV.com (Jim Piscitello and Andrew Pratt from here and site sponsor), which since they are mono blocks, you'd just get three to push you front three speakers...

If you want bass, these amps will give you bass like you've never had before. It's unreal what they can do. There is a slight "breakin"/"you getting used to them" curve of about 40 hours or so...but as soon as you plug them in you'll notice immediate improvement in both the low and high especially and the clarity of the mid range...

Definitely worth talking to Jim/Andrew and seeing what they will do for you, making it well worth the price.

The NuForce Ref. 9s are definitely amps you'll keep for a long time with no need to upgrade. The Ref 9s (if you look at the reviews) are already pushing "hard to drive" speakers effortlessly, and it's the ability of the amp to adjust extremely quickly to the impedence curve of the speaker.

I know it sounds like I'm marketing...which I'm not trying to do, but it's just the facts of how these amps are.

They are a little more forward than some care to like, but the soundstage and detail is above and beyond anything in the same price point...

Plus I think Nextlevelav will give you a demo period to return them if you don't like them...though I'd ask about that.

Huh..the parasound 5250 (new) can be had for under 2k...saw a used A51 go for the same......I wonder how the nuforce would compare to these?
                            The nuforce ref 9s would be approaching 4k for 3 amps with special connectors brand new from their website ...what price would nextlev have for the nuforce ref 9's???????????

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

or wail till Rotel releases the 2ch/ 200 watt digital amps.
                              You mean 2ch / 500 watt digital amps, don't you?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Yep, typo bigburner, sorry about that....

Contact Jim for the pricing on the Ref 9 amps...

They will cost more than what a Parasound 5250 would cost or an A51, but I think they will sound that much better...

I love the sound of analog amps, but these new digital switching amps seem to really be the real deal... and have blown me away with what they can do.
                                -Dan

Comment

• SRX04
                                  • Oct 2005

Yep, typo bigburner, sorry about that....

Contact Jim for the pricing on the Ref 9 amps...

They will cost more than what a Parasound 5250 would cost or an A51, but I think they will sound that much better...

I love the sound of analog amps, but these new digital switching amps seem to really be the real deal... and have blown me away with what they can do.
                                  Thanks, I'm going to hopefully arrange a in-house demo trial.

Mr PewterTA, you may have single handedly switched me to the digital age :lol:

Ride the wave....... :T

Oh and yes...............WHITE SOX ...WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry lifelong whitesox fan!)

Comment

• SRX04
                                    • Oct 2005

After doing countless more hours of research I finally made my decision...................Nu Force Ref 9's (x3)

Thanks goes out to HTguide,Audiocircle.com,John at SUMMIT Audio Video and of course MR PEWTER TA..

I used to be MR Quicksilver C5 vette, now I'm MR Silver Cadillac SRX......Still has a V8,and holds my family of six :E

Can't wait til they arrive on Wed. :T

Comment

• gianni
                                      • Nov 2002

Don't forget.....the Nuforce amps are still basically analog amps.

Comment

• SRX04
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gianni
                                        Don't forget.....the Nuforce amps are still basically analog amps.
                                        Switching amps...and its the switching part that sets them apart from linear ;x(

Or so I'm told

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

LOL no problem SRX04, hopefully you like them as much as I am a fan of them (and still as of yet don't have them) .... Hopefully I'll get a chance to get them soon...or the Rotels...one or the other. Just have to wait till the funds come in. Give us a nice little review on how you like them (or don't, because there is always that possibility).

...and please, call me Dan. Mr. PewterTA sounds old. :rofl:

Next car for me will be a Z06 vette... hee hee.
                                          -Dan

Comment

• SRX04
                                            • Oct 2005

Dan,
                                            Yeah 30 day trial in house. Hopefully I'll like them,but hey, coming from a reciever (HK AVR 7300 as a pre/pro for now) it should be a fairly dramatic upgrade

Heard a couple reviewers say they came close to their 7-10k linear amps :E

I sold my 97' C5 vette to my cousin who lets me borrow it for a few weeks every summer :T

The new Z06 will be unreal. Beats the Viper AND Ford GT 0-60 and 1/4. Beats the Viper around the track and was a few tenths slower then the Gt. Of course Its 100k less then the GT and 20K less then the viper.

Begs the question..What would Chevy make with 100k more????

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

LOL... well if/when I get the Z06, I'll be having a few more toys put on it... which will outperform both the Viper and GT...and still probably come in about 5-10K less than the closest price range.

Yeah the amps are amazing and do perform on a more Krell/Classe/McIntosh, etc.... And at far less (price wise).

I think you'll definitely be happy as long as the HK works well as a PRE...it might not as I've never heard HK as a pre, so I couldn't tell ya. Hopefully it will be good though!!! You'll definitely notice a HUGE increase in bass response out of your mains.
                                              -Dan

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by SRX04
                                                Dan,
                                                I sold my 97' C5 vette to my cousin who lets me borrow it for a few weeks every summer :T

The new Z06 will be unreal. Beats the Viper AND Ford GT 0-60 and 1/4. Beats the Viper around the track and was a few tenths slower then the Gt. Of course Its 100k less then the GT and 20K less then the viper.

Begs the question..What would Chevy make with 100k more????
                                                I've been of the understanding that dealers are not letting the Z06's go for sticker price, but some considerable markups going on.

Probably not to the level of the GT, but in Viper territory is what I've heard.
                                                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• SRX04
                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                                  I've been of the understanding that dealers are not letting the Z06's go for sticker price, but some considerable markups going on.

Probably not to the level of the GT, but in Viper territory is what I've heard.

True, but you have to look at sticker. I'm sure when the Viper first came out the same was the case heck even for the C5 this was the case.

In a year, maybe a bit more, the market will settle into original asking price...just supply and demand at work presently

I've heard 10-20k over sticker is the ante :E

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                    • Nov 2004

Not quite Viper or GT level pricing...

Every option C6 Coupe = $57,050
                                                    Convertible=$64,250

..and if you know your dealer you should be able to get them for less than that. ;x(

...but it's okay because they are bad a$$ machines!
                                                    -Dan

Comment

• SRX04
                                                      • Oct 2005

Convertible=$64,250

..and if you know your dealer you should be able to get them for less than that. ;x(

OR.....You could buy a used Z06 ...the year they bumped up the horse to 405...00 or 01 I think.......Per Corvetteforum.com the C6 is a bit slower then a Z06 AND you would save LOTS of $$$$$$$$

just a thought.......that I entertained :lol: :lol:

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                        • Jul 2004

Convertible=$64,250

The last brand new GM I bought was in 1992, and that was a '91 carryover, so I don't have a real good "in" with the dealer.

Alas, I'll probably be stuck driving that 91 Z28 for a few more years. Darn good shape though with only 35K miles on her. Just put new tires on last year.

A couple K$ in the engine and she'd feel a whole lot better by today's standards although still fun to drive.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• SRX04
                                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                                          The last brand new GM I bought was in 1992, and that was a '91 carryover, so I don't have a real good "in" with the dealer.

If anyone's interested in buying a new vette, goto Corvetteforum.com 1st. They have supporting dealers from all over the country jockeying for sales. You might have to drive a bit to get these great deals...but the drive home would rock!
                                                          :T (of course you could always have it drop shipped

Comment

• TimGRA
                                                            • Feb 2004

When listening to the paradigms with various types of music the woofers are barely moving even when i change the x-over freq's. I've heard that the paradigms really need alot of power so I'm considering a good multi-channel amp.
                                                            SRX04,

Speaking from experience the 100's LOVE power. It will wake them up, but they are also a very efficient speaker.

How big is your room? The amount of air space needed to allow that driver to move without bass cancelling is critical. Paradigms web site speaks to this in a few areas. You can have all the power in the world and not enough space for the sound waves or "air to move." Bass cancelling then takes over and that is a whole other issue.

I know I am chiming in late. A freind of mine is going through this with his 60's he just got and I had a HUGE problem with this with Monitor 11's. I have since moved to the Studio line and have always had LOTS of power. Power was not the issue for me.

My .02

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by SRX04
                                                              The bass response isn't there with the 100's that I expected. I blame my 110w HK reciever for this. Maybe the lack of bass Is throwing off the tonal balance to make the 100's seem 'bright'
                                                              That's strange SRX04. A friend of mine has a pair of Studio 60's and the bass that comes out of those things is prodigious. I also find the highs pleasantly un-harsh. My only criticism is the mids which are slightly lacking. You'd think that the 100's would be kinda similar.

My friend drives his 60's with a high-end NAD 2-channel power amp.

Comment

• SRX04
                                                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by TimGRA
                                                                SRX04,

Speaking from experience the 100's LOVE power. It will wake them up, but they are also a very efficient speaker.

How big is your room? The amount of air space needed to allow that driver to move without bass cancelling is critical. Paradigms web site speaks to this in a few areas. You can have all the power in the world and not enough space for the sound waves or "air to move." Bass cancelling then takes over and that is a whole other issue.

I know I am chiming in late. A freind of mine is going through this with his 60's he just got and I had a HUGE problem with this with Monitor 11's. I have since moved to the Studio line and have always had LOTS of power. Power was not the issue for me.

My .02
                                                                Timgra,

I have a 35 X 18 X 9 room with hardwood floors throughout including other open rooms adjacent. Only one area rug with only blinds on the windows. 8O . I think your right regarding the bass canceling factor. I recently purchased 3 nuforce ref 9's the bass is definately better but am waiting for full break in to critique. My source is a cheap yamaha cd changer and sirus sattelite for music. Also I don't have good interconnects at all (evolving system). Any suggestions? How much impact would good interconnects and cd player make? I want the biggest bang for the buck regarding both. I feel the paradigm studio 100's and nu force ref 9's are both overachievers in this regard.

Peace.

Comment

• mtodde
                                                                  • Jan 2005

I've been very happy since adding a Rotel RMB-1075 to drive my Studio 40s. Previously I thought I was happy with the RSX-1056 which is now doing pre-amp duty.

The Studios seem to enjoy more power. :B

Comment

• SRX04
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2005

Purchased the Nu Force ref 9's two weeks ago. All I can say is WOW!!
                                                                    Extreme makeover VS. my 100w reciever. Clarity and detail acrosss the whole spectrum. Prodigous bass, now those cones are thumping, I no longer need a subwoofer to play 2 channel. Very tight, fast bass response. They sounded great right out of the box but improved substantially after break-in (esp in the lower octaves). Did I mention imaging???

Interconnects are next. I'm considering outlaw pca or signal silver resolution for price/performance factor. After that will be source like the sony dsp 999es for a universal player. With the modwright mod. supposedly amoung the best at any price.

Time to 'listen to the music'

JAM

Comment

• pembroke
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2005

Jam,
                                                                      I had a Sony XA777ES with Musical Fidelity DAC/Tube Buffer/PSU, and auditioned an Esoteric 50S universal player along with a Modwright 999ES. The Esoteric was very good, but the Modwright was so much more musical. Since buying it last October its rekindled my interest in CD's again.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Srx...

I've got Paradigm Studio 60's (v.3) being driven by a little old 25 watt Class A analogue (ss) amp and until I crank it up to bleedin' ear level I have all kinds of decent bass response.I don't lose bass at (stupid) loud settings , it just gets a little "loose". You say they were 6 months old-I've heard , and experienced , that Paradigms have a relatively long break-in period. It took about a month of unemployment (several hours a day) before mine settled down and were consistent. Now the bass is crisp and pounds. Mine are , at present, in a small (10x15 w/7ft ceiling!) room and they still rock. When the child is older and the dog isn't a puppy I'll move them back to the living room!
                                                                        The 100's are a little greedier than the 60's, but the two extra drivers shouldn't require an additional 150 watts!
                                                                        I also bi-wired my 60's and that seemed to open up the bass , more spatial. I've probably opened up a can o' worms with that one...... :argue:
                                                                        Last edited by Alaric; 14 February 2006, 16:40 Tuesday. Reason: Studio 100 has TWO extra drivers
                                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 4143

As a post script-I'm looking at more wattage too, but for more clarity at the aforementioned "stupid-loud" settings. I can probably damage my hearing with 25 watts if I'm not careful. Clear , undistorted , music can get very loud without seeming as loud as it is,at least to me. Growing up , distortion was how we could tell it was "cranked up".
                                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• SRX04
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 27

Originally posted by pembroke
                                                                            Jam,
                                                                            I had a Sony XA777ES with Musical Fidelity DAC/Tube Buffer/PSU, and auditioned an Esoteric 50S universal player along with a Modwright 999ES. The Esoteric was very good, but the Modwright was so much more musical. Since buying it last October its rekindled my interest in CD's again.

Since my upgraditis began thats the single best 'benefit' I've gotten from it all. Rekindling my music interest. I've since purchased a Squeezebox Ver3., Ripped all my cd's in lossless, & streamed my entire collection. The sound quality of the squeezebox is good out of the box, but with the Red wine audio upgrade... phenomenal. SB3 + RWA upgrade= ~ $600 . Just bought a xbox 360 so the wife won't approve the upgrade yet .

Modwright mods are LEGENDARY!!!

Enjoy!!!

Comment

• RenoReno2
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2005
                                                                              • 82

#39
                                                                              *Edit*

Nevermind read your posts afterwards about you getting the nuforce amps.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              😀
                                                                              😂
                                                                              🥰
                                                                              😘
                                                                              🤢
                                                                              😎
                                                                              😞
                                                                              😡
                                                                              👍
                                                                              👎
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"