X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Mega Changer or media storage?

Hey folks,

Like most of you have a growing collection of movies and music and am beginning to consider a few options and wanted some feedback. My primary thought was to have something to store my music like a mega changer or that efficiant music storage system that seems to be basicaly a harddrive. From what I have found so far, it seems Sony is the main player in the mega changer market offering a regular and ES line of 400 disk changers as well as a 400 disk changer that plays DVD's and SACD as well as regular cd's. I really am not interested in replacing my Denon 2900 right now, but I can see that down the road that might not be a bad option, I just wished they would work with DVD-A also.

So, anyway is anyone familier with the efficiant unit or any other options I havent mentioned. If it boils down to the Sony, is the differance between the ES and the standard unit worth the price differance?
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hello Foxman, I personally use the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 400disc and find it to be an excellent unit, I looked at the Sony but just didnt like it as much. Here is a link to a review of it and the Entre System that can control it.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I vote for a server. If you've got the money and don't want to do the work yourself there's quite a few companies out there with music/movie server systems with very nice and user friendly GUI's. They do cost a fair bit though.

If you want to save money, you could put together your own PC based server system. It will be a liitle less user friendly but a lot more versatile and a LOT cheaper. With the low price and size of HD's nowadays you can't really go wrong here
      Jason

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Soundgravy, thats an interesting piece that I have never seen, I will have to look into that.

Aud19. I have actually considered doing a music server using a pc and a big hard drive, but is there any info you know of on the best way to do this using a lossles format? I think I can do it, but I am trying to get my head around it.

Thanks for the ideas, any others are welcome as well.
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Here are a couple of options on the server side of things

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Just another thing for you, I dont know how you control your system, but I purchased a MX3000 Touchscreen remote to control mine, I am using software from Triple B that allows you to link your DVD profiler software with your changer. you can just scroll through the DVD cover artwork on your remote and select your movie that way, tap on it and your movie starts. Its really pretty cool. :T

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Foxman
              Aud19. I have actually considered doing a music server using a pc and a big hard drive, but is there any info you know of on the best way to do this using a lossles format? I think I can do it, but I am trying to get my head around it.

Thanks for the ideas, any others are welcome as well.
              There's some good info on formats, hardware etc in thiis thread:

Also, if you can afford it, I recommend a Raid5 array of drives. It will give you TONS of space and redundancy.

Alienware etc are good but if you can, build your own. You'll get better gear, the way you want it and for less $$
              Jason

Comment

• dortiz
                • Mar 2005

Escient DVDM300 and the Sony changer. It can control up to three of them stacked. Gives you on screen displays and lets you surf a menu by artist, alpha etc. It also has a 300gig hard drive so you will never touch a CD again.
                Imagine you come home turn on the system look at your TV and press D on the remote and listen to some David Bowie. After dinner you hit Movies and the press L and under that listing you choose Lion King. Its that simple.

Comment

• Foxman
                  • Jan 2003

You guys are awsome!

I have clicked on every link posted and I will say that some of you have some very impressive toys or suggestions at least.

Aud, that link to the other thread was very helpful as well and it sounds like there is some very doable ideas mentioned. I hate I missed that thread, I might have just as easily been able to read through that one. I had checked into the escient that dortiz mentioned and it sounds like a solid solution, but truth is I really didnt initially intend on spending that much.

Options though...I love these options. :T
                  IMO

My Movies
                  Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Foxman
                    Aud, that link to the other thread was very helpful as well and it sounds like there is some very doable ideas mentioned. I hate I missed that thread, I might have just as easily been able to read through that one. I had checked into the escient that dortiz mentioned and it sounds like a solid solution, but truth is I really didnt initially intend on spending that much.
                    No worries :T As I said those Escients are quite nice and have a great GUI but they're 8O $$$$$$. A PC based server system will be way more flexible and way cheaper if a little "trickier" to use. But that's the price you pay for cheap, flexible, customizable gear
                    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Escient just released a couple of new pieces that are great for more basic systems.

The Fireball SE-80 is a HD based server. It's the same thing as there regular fireball's, but it cannot control any changers and control is only IR or web based. Retail is $999 and it holds about 800 CD's at 192MP3, now supports FLAC and WMV. Need more storage? Buy another and they share through the network (plus you would have two zones)

The other is the new SE-D1. Again, basic model that only connects to 1 Sony ES777 400 disc changer. Can be either CD's or DVD's. No HD based storage. Retail is again $999 plus the cost of the changer.

Escient has always been 'ok', but ever since D&M (Denon) bought them, the software and hardware has been improved dramatically.

The xperinet piece (all of them) posted above suck and they are expensive. They do what they advertise but they're not very friendly to use. A bunch of EE's make them with no thought put past 'accomlish X'. There's no auto ID of DVD, you have to name the movie and THEN search for info. They must only test the things on a PC monitor with 0% overscan, so when you view it on a TV, 10-15% of the text is cut off. A whole bunch of things like that that just made us not want to EVER sell it to a customer.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ColoKurt
                        • Mar 2005

If you're considering a server, I'd look at the Apple Mac Mini with an external drive and Airport Express. I priced the whole thing out a few months ago and I think it came to around $1200. That's assuming you use your TV as monitor and interact with the system using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This is what I'm going to do as soon as an appropriate time period has passed since my last big audio purchase.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ColoKurt
                          If you're considering a server, I'd look at the Apple Mac Mini with an external drive and Airport Express. I priced the whole thing out a few months ago and I think it came to around $1200. That's assuming you use your TV as monitor and interact with the system using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This is what I'm going to do as soon as an appropriate time period has passed since my last big audio purchase.
                          No doubt At even $999 for the "cheap" Escient's Kev mentioned you could easily put together a PC (Or Mac : ) system that does a lot more and has a lot more storage space.
                          Jason

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

Yeah, I'm just waiting for Apple to release Front Row for mac mini. Great, simple interface for tv viewing/browsing of media. iTunes is great, but not made to display on a tv screen.

Comment

• ekkoville
                              • Aug 2004

Jason, for those of us that haven't dabbled into the PC side of this, what is so much better in terms of product choices aside from hard drive space? Is there anything that can interface with that Sony 400 disc changer that rivals the Fireball?

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Well you just have a lot more options for hardware and software with a PC. The Escient gear is nice, (as I mentioned) with a great and easy to use GUI but it lacks the flexibility of a PC. Anything you can do on a computer, including music, games, movies, email, internet etc not to mention YOUR choice of the software and hardware allowing you to fine tune the system to your needs. Not to mention how cheaply you can get LARGE amounts of HD space as you mentioned. Basically if you want a fairly plug and play system that's easy to setup and use and have the money for something like the Escient gear, then go for it If you have or want to spend the time to set up a HTPC and likely save money or at least get "more" for your money then you can build a VERY nice HTPC.
                                Jason

Comment

• Foxman
                                  • Jan 2003

Well, I can testify that it is an easy and fairly inexpensive alternative. Like everything you can make it as expensive as your bodget allowes. Since starting this thread I have converted a regular PC into what I call a media PC holding some 7-800 cd's. I have ran into some snags and have some computer knowledge, so, this might not be for everyone but we are enjoying so far.

I am not using this for movies at all and had no desire to. My issue with the Fireball was 2 things. First and foremost was cost, I couldnt afford to spend a grand right now and that would have been a deal breaker even if my other concern isnt valid which was, unless I am mistaken the Fireball doesnt rip the music Lossless. I wanted the best quality for the least amount of money and I feel like I achieved that.

I am currently using Windows media player which of course was free.

I found a way to get my concert DVD's and my DVD-Audio ripped which is an added bonus and pretty much all I lack is my dedicated SACD disks, I havent found a way to rip those yet or copy them into another file type.

Thanks Aud19 and everyone for your help in this endevor.

One question for anyone using their PC, my WMP showes that I am playing the music back at a variable bit rate even though I ripped then Lossless, is this because some disk are recorded at differant bit rates, or am I not understanding something?
                                  IMO

My Movies
                                  Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

FWIW, the Escient's support FLAC lossless as of about 2 months ago.

No idea on the variable bit rate. Perhaps lossless is variable? It's still compressed, just able to decompress to CD quality on the fly.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Taito
                                      • Sep 2004

Hi, Are any of you familiar with the slim devices squeezebox3? seems like a nifty device for not too much money to me.

Discover the innovative world of Logitech and shop everything MX, Keyboards, Mice, Webcams, Headsets, Software, Video Conferencing, and more

I've been thinking about combining it with my laptop and a 200-300GB usb hard drive.

-Ben

Comment

• ekkoville
                                        • Aug 2004

Thanks for the info Jason....one more silly question. How do you connect to the monitor if you're in another room or, control what is playing if your PC is not near your sitting position?

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Well there's numerous things you can do. The easiest is obviously having a unit in the same room that you can simply use a wireless or blue tooth KB and mouse. But you can also use things like laptops or tablet PC's with remote desktop etc over a wired or wireless network. There are many solutions it really depends on what will work best for you and your budget. But honestly the best route IMO is to have even a small, basic "satellite" system with basic networking, video, sound etc and have that connected to another PC "server" via CAT5.
                                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"