X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

laser vinyl record player

Has anyone seen this record player? http://www.elpj.com/

It supposedly plays records via a laser instead of a needle and its only $15,000!!!!
  • cinema bob
    • Apr 2005

i seem to remember reading a review of a laser record player. the review indicated that the sound was not that good because the laser picked up the imperfections on the sides of the grooves as well as the grooves themselves. i think that this was some time ago and most likely not this model itself.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
      Has anyone seen this record player?
      I saw it at the AES but I didn't hear it. Looks like some kind of oversized CD charger. I think the guy told me that it was rated in the top 10 best players in the world by Stereophile.

It is not supposed to sound worse than a normal player because is reads the vinyl where it has never been "attacked" by a needle before. This thing is sold to restore old stuff and for audiophiles. It doesn't need a MM or MC pre-amp either because we are not talking about a needle/mic. It must be worth a listen...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Fremer did a review of it in an edition of Stereophile a while back. IIRC, he liked it okay, but any dirt, dust, cuts in the vinyl produced a sound as the laser tried to interpret the deformity as part of the music.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"