X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Audiogon, not as safe as it could be

First, let me say that I have made 12 transactions using Audiogon and have excellent feedback. All went without a hitch but, most were with local pickups. One advantage to living in such a large urban area, no problem finding local buyers or sellers.

On Friday, Oct 7, I had the winning bid on a Audio Research CD3 MKII at Audiogon. During the bidding process I received a email from the seller saying he would stop the auction and sell me the player if I immediatly emailed $1850 to his paypal account. Unlike ebay, this is against the Audiogon rules for auctions. Naturally that caused concern. Not only because of the offer to bypass the auction but the price he asked for was very, very low. He claimed that the unit was almost new. I couldn't believe that someone with a high end player wouldn't know it's value. This made me very uneasy. I wanted to pull out of the auction but, because I was using the proxy system offered at Audiogon it wasn't possible.

After winning the auction I received a email from the seller saying he wanted to use Paypal to protect himself. I emailed him back, giving him my phone number, and asked that he call me so that we could finish the transaction. I also stated that I wanted to use a escrow company and I wanted the serial number of the CD player and where it was purchased from.

The next email I recieved was the following day, stating that he had sold the player during the auction and that it wasn't available. This made me wonder had he really sold it and then tried to get two of us to send him money, or did he not want me to know the serial numbers and original dealer because it was stolen.

I emailed all the other bidders and all but one wrote back and said that he had made the same offer to them. I figured the one who didn't email me was the one who bought it.

I then filed a complaint with Audiogon so that they would look into the matter. Two days later (Monday) I finally heard from the person who did buy the player. He had sent the money to the seller and then the seller told him that his Paypal account was frozen because of my complaint and, asked for more money to be sent to another Paypal account that he had. He said he would return the other money when the dispute with me through Audiogon was over. The buyer was stupid enough to send more money! I asked him if he had asked about the serial numbers, he said no. I then asked if since he had sent the money, twice, did he have a tracking number. The buyer said that the seller told him that he couldn't yet ship it (since Friday) because Monday was a holiday. I pointed out that every shipping company was open SAT, SUN, and MON, except the Post Office and it had been opened Sat. Man, it really is easy to use greed to con somebody. In this case the buyer wanted this "almost new" $7000 CD Player for $1875 so bad he would belive anything.

Tuesday, the buyer emailed me again all distressed and said that the same auction was again posted on Audiogon. Looked like the seller was seeing if he couldn't sell it 3 times. We both emailed Audiogon and the auction was stopped. Then last night a friend of mine called me up and told me that the auction had started back up and there was a new buyer!

I have really lost faith in Audiogon as far as their willingness to protect their members. I would still use it to sell stuff and to buy but, only with local people that I can meet in person.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Thanks Bob for the heads-up. I browse Audiogon quite often and I am shocked this has happened there

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Great information Bob, it is certainly appreciated.

It is indeed unfortunate that people perform such acts of greed, but it all comes back to haunt them twofold in the end.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Well, I don't look down on audiogon for this cause it wasn't their fault. I can go to any country outside the US, hack a computer in the US, create a false account, add my int'l bank, put a cloak on my connection so they can't see where I'm really connected from, and request a Paypal payment. You pay me, I get the money in my int'l bank, tell you I'm shipping it from Europe, and then disappear. You trace it and it looks like it's in the US, but it's not. Paypal can't touch me cause I'm not there nor is my money, the courts can't touch me, seller wins, buyer loses.

Serisouly speaking, as a rule, don't buy from anyone that isn't in the states unless you personally know the person. People forget about the fact that these US business have no power to take any legal actions outside the states. If someone wanted to rip you off and they're outside the states with an int'l bank, you can't win a claim, you can't sue, you're out of luck. I've sold to people internationally, but won't buy. Too much at risk even if the person is honest. So don't buy from anyone outside the US.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

Generally, with Audiogon, I look for a seller with good feedback who has a number of transactions. I am very leery of all of the (0) transaction type sellers, unless it is a local pickup. I am also careful when an audiogon seller posts his/her ebay feedback because it is fairly difficult to prove that each seller is one and the same. There is always a risk, expecially when the sales price is too good to believe.
          Stan

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

Thanks for the warning....I have used Audiogon a few times without a problem.
            Although,I will say that their sellers do not seem as eager to please as eBay sellers.I have made,bought and sold over 120 items on eBay...and only had a problem twice.
            ...late and non-shipping.
            I have only made a half dozen transactions on Audiogon...and three or four of those were very slow in shipping.

Moral of our story...other than if a deal sounds too good too be true........
            Simply be internet smart....that guy who paid twice,well...don't be that naive.

Comment

• eddiem67
              • Jun 2004

Yes its a little scary on Audiogon, these are big ticket items we are talking about here, so if your screwed, its big $$$$$$
              My Car Audio

Comment

• slick
                • Aug 2005

I've only made a few Audiogon.com purchases, but there have been times where I inquired about something and I received back replies that were odd. Once, I asked the seller if he had pictures of the speakers he was selling, he replied "I'll sell them for $1500 shipped", they were listed at $2500 + shipping. I don't care how good a deal is, things like that just throw me off and make no sense, its shady like behavior that shouldn't be tolerated.
                Good thing you didn't send him any money and buy into, a $7000 player for $1850 is obviously a scam.

Comment

• DifferentLee
                  • Apr 2005

There were scams involving the sale of Sony SCD-1 players recently with a fraudulent seller in the New York region. A friend of mine and someone else on the Steve Hoffman board were taken in sadly and lost $2K each.

Be very, very careful with Audiogon.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Another scam that I have seen:

If you advertise product for sale, and you list an email address within the ad, you are more likely to have the Nigerians try to scam you. That's because then they do not even have to be a member of Agon, not that that stops them, but it sure does encourage them- FYI*

Bob, sorry for this trouble, what a pain. I do hesitate to always tell people to avoid international, as my Sonus faber Extremas came from Canada, believe it or not, and it was a beautiful transaction.

Doug
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

Audiogon
                      Greg

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Let's please stick to the A-gon issues here. Thanks in advance.
                        Doug

Comment

• gianni
                          • Nov 2002

It's starting to sound more like Moneygon.

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gianni
                            It's starting to sound more like Moneygon.
                            That's just a ridiculous comment. Let's remember that there are a lot of people on ebay that sell as a business. There are a lot that rip people off. The majority of the items sold on audiogon are people like ourselves parting with a part of their equipment to either upgrade or for the money. I do see a lot of businesses coming to audiogon, but not nearly enough to call it something like moneygon.
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• H.Donald
                              • Aug 2004

One thing to consider for Audiogon is C.O.D....at least you know something will be shipped to you...and in a timely fashion.I made a 1500 dollar purchase that way a while back...and it worked out well.

Comment

• Bob
                                • Jul 2000

Just for a quick follow up. I contacted Audiogon and the person that "bought" the cd player while the first auction was taking place also contacted Audiogon. We both asked how could they allow the original seller to start up another auction when there is two disputes going on against him at the present time detailing what may be a criminal action.
                                Their response to me was that they had suspended the seller and that he couldn't possibly carry on another auction. I sent them a return email with the Audiogon web page where the auction had just finished and the auction number and the newest buyer's name!!!! So, their suspension didn't mean squat.
                                I think that the vast majority of the sales at Audiogon go smoothly and the buyers and sellers are honest enthusiasts. However, I will only buy using a escrow account or local pick up.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                  • Aug 2004

I don't want to get off topic, but quickly how do you use an escrow for the transactions and who releases the money?

Comment

• Bob
                                    • Jul 2000

For what it is worth here is a copy of the exchanges I had with Audiogon during this last week. Despite my letting them know what was happening. And despite the fact that the original buyer has sent several emails to Audiogon letting them know that he has sent his payment for the CD in question Audiogon let it be auctioned yet again.

Dear Sirs,
                                    Last Friday I had the highest bid on a CD player that was autioned on
                                    Audiogon. The seller asked for immediate payment to his Paypal
                                    Account.
                                    I emailed him asking to use a escrow account plus I wanted the serial
                                    number of the player and the name of the original dealer, since the
                                    add stated that it was new.
                                    The following day I recieved a email from the seller stating that he
                                    had sold the player during the auction. I entered into a dispute with
                                    him and sent him the web page for the rules regarding selling a object
                                    when it is being auctioned.
                                    Then the person that bought the player contacted me and stated that he
                                    sent funds to the sellers Paypal account and the seller then partially
                                    refunded the money stating that his Paypal account was frozen and
                                    wanted him to send more money to another account.
                                    I told him to contact Audiogon, as I had.
                                    Then the same CD player from the same seller shows back up for
                                    auction, and states that it can be bought for a set price during auction. I
                                    protested and the auction was halted. Now I see that the second auction was started again and has now ended.
                                    I have really lost faith in Audiogon's willingness to protect buyers. I
                                    offered up all the emails from the seller to me. I offered to send you
                                    all the emails from the second buyer who appears to have been
                                    defrauded and yet you let another auction take place. How many times is a seller allowed to sell the same item on Audiogon?
                                    Robert Jason.

On Oct 14, 2005, at 4:33 AM, AudiogoN Service wrote:
                                    Hello,
                                    It would be most helpful to know which member you are referring to.
                                    Audiogon staff

Robert Jason <rjason731@verizon.net> said:

The member that seems to be selling the cd player over and over is
                                    xxxxxxx. The member that thought he had bought it during the auction
                                    that I was the highest bidder is xxxxxx. We have both contacted
                                    Audiogon during this last week. I did so in protest to the original
                                    auction. Xxxxx did so when he sent xxxxx money for the player and
                                    then didn't receive it. And we both did when we saw another auction,
                                    Auction: 1129255068, start up with the same CD player for sell, yet
                                    again. If you look at the add, not only has he resold the player but,
                                    he again offers to stop the auction if someone will send him money
                                    during the auction.
                                    Bob

On Oct 14, 2005, at 9:18 AM, AudiogoN Service wrote:
                                    Hello,
                                    We do not see a current auction placed by xxxxx. Further, by inputting his username into "member lookup", you can see that his registration is suspended. Lastly, you failed to mention that this is an active Dispute. Therefore, all future inquiries of this matter needs to be directed to disputes@audiogon.com
                                    Audiogon staff

Date: October 14, 2005 8:16:11 PM PDT
                                    To: disputes@audiogon.com
                                    Subject: Re: problem transaction

Hello,
                                    You can't see any caurrent auction by xxxxx? Of course you can't, because even though two members warned you that it was taking place, it has now closed. You can't find it? Well let's see, you could go to this web page on your site: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?0&1&e
                                    Or, you could have looked up auction Auction: 1129255068, as I mentioned in my e-mail to you.
                                    Robert Jason

Comment

• Bob
                                      • Jul 2000

I don't want to get off topic, but quickly how do you use an escrow for the transactions and who releases the money?
                                      Try this website: Escrow.com

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

I have used Escrow.com before and it really does work well for both buyer and seller, very reliable.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• gd
                                          • Jan 2003

Too bad to hear about the occasional scam at Audiogon... my few transactions there have gone without a hitch.

I think it's reasonably safe there if you just use some common sense... and also follow the "if-it-sounds-too-good-to-be-true" logic.

However, there, like ebay, you are ultimately on your own... Audiogon might be of some mild assistance when it's convenient for them, but you really need to detect and resolve your own scam issues.

Furthermore, based on threads at AVS, it appears that the feedback area of the site can be hacked and manipulated... which only complicates things.

Thieves are everywhere... caveat emptor.
                                          greg (gd to you)
                                          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

That's certainly not a very encouraging email exchange Bob. It's like they don't know or don't care what is going on. For most major purchases, I'm a pretty big advocate of shop purchases for safety sake. I check a seller from point A to Z before entering agreements to buy. You can never be certain, but you can sure be cautious, as it seems you were and you won this time.

A Zen like quote: "if a deal seems to good to be true, it usually is." Words to bid by.
                                            Doug

Comment

• FENDEBENDER
                                              • Sep 2005

more looking the other way

I guess to me based on the reponse there not really trying to fix it, they seem to be playing dumb hoping the complaints will go away.

WHen someone runs a site and you give them the info they had, they should know how many times, who, past, present, and future especial if two people are complaining about the same auction instead of coming back with ah yes we don't see an auction for that dude... how lame is that.

Too me its unacceptable to let one guy go like that.

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

I agree Bender, I don't like it either. To me, if a business "has knowledge" that fraud is occuring, they should be bound by good business practices to do everything in their power to be a positive power, shutting the person down immediately, and so on.
                                                Doug

Comment

• gianni
                                                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                  That's just a ridiculous comment. Let's remember that there are a lot of people on ebay that sell as a business. There are a lot that rip people off. The majority of the items sold on audiogon are people like ourselves parting with a part of their equipment to either upgrade or for the money. I do see a lot of businesses coming to audiogon, but not nearly enough to call it something like moneygon.
                                                  Well, to you it may seem rediculous. Tell that to the folks who have lost their money. Yes, scams abound everyehere. Ebay is not perfect either and has risks as well. Audiogon just does not seem to do everything it can to address these situations....just read the previous posts. They are just lax in some areas. Thats not to say I would never use it again, one just needs to be cautious and use some common sense. In the end though, I still say Audiogon leaves a little to be desired.

Comment

• Lex
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Apr 2001

Gianni's comments weren't regarding businesses, but rather the high degree of fraud that seems to be plaguing it, and to a buyer, it represents "money gon", I think is what he meant as in money lost.

Audioqueso please keep it respectful of other members, whether you agree or not. You can state you disagree without telling someone they are rediculous.

My last comment on this:
                                                    Not everyone is out to defraud on any auction site, or buy and sell area. But it can happen, and does. It's happened here even to the best of my knowledge only once, but it did happen.

I stand by my comment that once a business is aware of fraud occuring, they need to do something about it besides play non-aware of the situation, when it's obvious to a member it's still going on! If they can't do something about it, then they need to change how business is conducted there.

I'll ask that cool heads prevail in this discussion and that it is kept on topic for Agon only, primarily the discussion surrounding Bob's transaction, please leave ebay out of this, as that's a whole nuther nut. We all know about ebay having it's own set of troubles.

In the end, yes, a certain degree of discretion must be taken by each person doing business across the net, common sense must apply, and buyers and sellers alike need to educate themselves. Posts like this assist in that education process just as I have a running thread going in the Pawn Shop about fraud, as well as one in the Chalet. We do our part.
                                                    Doug

Comment

• jimdorey
                                                      • Jan 2008

I have had great success with my other hobby astronomy - I have used www.astromart.com a great deal. Escrow.com works very well!

Also Astromart refuses to take members with free email accounts - they must be hosted at a reputable domain and that weeds out a lot of fraud types.

COD works well too. But most of all, look for feedback, contact previous people doing business with them and above all - CONTACT THEM via phone.

Best,
                                                      -jim
                                                      --
                                                      Jim Dorey
                                                      www.marketsaw.com
                                                      3D Movies & Technology

Comment

• Bob
                                                        • Jul 2000

Jim,
                                                        I see you dug back through all my posts at the HT forum. You worry me.

Comment

• mohawk155
                                                          • Dec 2007

Audiogon

Another method is to see, hear and test the equipment before buying. I'm picking up an amp that I just purchased from a great guy on Audiogon. This is a 13 hour drive each way!! I have half a mind to just send him the cash as he didn't have any problem with it but.. it will be a nice ride for my wife and I. I can hear the conversation now....

"We saved alot of money going through Audiogon!"
                                                          "I think we should see what used subs are available"
                                                          "A center speaker would complete the HT system!?"

Regards,
                                                          Gregory

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                            • Mar 2006

interesting thread. reminds me when I was an active ebay user for a while... don't forget there are also decent international buyer/seller who mean business, like myself but going back to the first post: $1800 for a $7000 equipment? that's just fishy, no matter what...

Comment

• Alaric
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

My only purchases on the 'gon were great. Both items were as advertised , one was a fair price and the other was a steal. Got a NIB mmf5-SE for $ 650! I think common sense goes a long way towards saving oneself head/heartache. My $.02
                                                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                              Schiit Modi 3
                                                              Marantz CD5005
                                                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                                My only purchases on the 'gon were great. I think common sense goes a long way towards saving oneself head/heartache. My $.02
                                                                Absolutely....
                                                                Audiogon is integrity based, not money driven as is E-pay.
                                                                It comes down to common sense, if you ask for or offer up a phone number, and none develops, its time to pass on that item.

Comment

• km371
                                                                  • Sep 2009

I have had a lot of bad dealings over the past few years with the newer Audiogon Members.
                                                                  Many years ago, when I was a newbe to the site, it was actually pretty cool. People were honest, for the most part. I got an occasional lemon, but nothing too serious.
                                                                  Since that time, I've had at least 5 or 6 things that were sold to me which were plainly misrepresented, Sure, I should have called it quits on the site a few years ago, but I thought maybe there were still some decent people out here ,and I just hit a bad streak. Most of us audiophiles are OCD,anyway. I'm sure most of you know how hard it is to just walk away from this hobby.
                                                                  I guess I'm what you could call a jaded audiophile, but ever since Sterophile Magazine drew attention to the Audiogon web page, all the scammers and tire-kickers got on board. Now, it's really no better than ebay.
                                                                  Has anyone noticed that there is a lot of yard-sale junk for sale on the sites?I can't believe someone would ask $500.00 for a 1979 Pioneer tuner,for example...
                                                                  I think people just cruse the yard-sales on a Saturday morning, take them home, plug them in, and say that they work.Good luck trying to get any satisfaction from these sellers. They are only interested in money.,So is Audiogon,for that matter.
                                                                  It is almost impossible to post negitive feedback for someone,unless you are willing to pay a fee..
                                                                  I bought an expensive preamp from a member in good standing about a month ago for about $200.00. Once I recieved it, I discovered about 4 different things wrong with it. I contacted the member,who of course, knew nothing about it. To make a long story short, I had to send it back to the Manufacturer, who estimated that it will cost me another $200.00 or so to repair.
                                                                  Let's not forget all the people who waste your time by asking stupid questions about items you are selling. questions they wouldn't need to ask if they just read your ad all the way through.
                                                                  How about the people who try to low-ball you to death?
                                                                  Personally, I'm sick of Audiogon's way of doing business.
                                                                  I remember when the fees for an ad were $2.00 per ad. Now, they are $4.00, + 1% of the sale price of your item.
                                                                  I'm sure things will just get worse.It's a shame how money and greed can spoil a good thing.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2007

I've had pretty good luck selling items on ebay. I've bought some stuff from stores there too, and had good luck. Haven't bought anything on bid though. I've sold some stuff on Audiogon, but never bought. I definitely know about the "low-ball" to death thing. I just held my ground on price until they went away. My stuff has taken much longer to sell on Audiogon and I often get a better price in ebay bids.
                                                                    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• km371
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2009

As I had said previously, I'm pretty much through with "Idiotgon". By the way, I was contacted by Conrad Johnson yesterday about the repair costs on my preamplifier. The estimate was $250.00! So, between the purchase & repairs, the preamp now stands me $450.00.That price works out to what I would have paid for a preamplifier that was in good working order in the first place,so I really didn't save any money.
                                                                      Needless to say, I'll be holding on to this unit for a few years.I'm all set with that site.I'm tired of getting burned..

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

In general I think the feedback system was created to ensure this does not happen. I always check the number of feedback and more importantly look at what kind of sales they where based on. It is easy and does not cost much to create a number of feedback between two accounts based on small very cheap items - but the cost is to high for expensive items. So unless there are a number of feedback based on what I believe are real transactions, I avoid them.

I would however also add, especially being based in Europe, that I hope you guys don´t just say no to all people outside the US. Have done several transactions on Audiogon with no issues. Not all people from overseas are bad people.. :W

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2007
                                                                          • 1877

I think many people in the US, like myself, just don't want to deal with overseas shipping. Shipping heavy items overseas can also be expensive. It has nothing to not trusting you all, at least not for me.
                                                                          John unk:

Comment

• powerbench
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2009
                                                                            • 11

shipping

I have done lots of shipping USA and return to Canada but I will not deal with Audiogon d/t their attitude.

Comment

• cantexplain
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2010
                                                                              • 1

#39
                                                                              Audiogon-just Another Business

I'm hip-posted 2 nice items. recieved a offer, and, accepted, buyer accepted. Now this is where it gets wierd. The bidder then offers less-$250.00 less than agreed, immediately after securing item, and, want's me to toss in freebies. My listing showed that "I" cancelled transaction, and, ad reflected the dollar ammount offered, and, that i refused that ammount!!!! Now everyone reading thinks i am unreasonable. I repeatedly asked AUDIOGON to fix problem, they would not!!! What do you do, YOU put in description, AUDIOGON would not correct, and, i was not only flexible, but, was willing to accept offer, and, bidder tried "bait and switch"- I have it, but, decided to short pay you!! LOWBALL after sale, after complaining, and stating my stellar rating on "another" website, they SHUT DOWN MY ADS, AND, ACCESS!!!!!! Hi, Audiogon

Comment

• famoej
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2010
                                                                                • 4

#40
                                                                                I love AG and have been doing business under this name for years. With the exception of a few scams in which buyers asked me to cash a check for more than the selling price and send them the difference...what a joke- my buyers and sellers have been great. Suggestion- I would never send an item without payment in hand- and only bank check, cert or paypal. Have never bought from overseas or sold but as long as they have real feedback...would not hesitate--there is some great gear over there that never graces our shores.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 4143

#41
                                                                                  I've done well on the 'Gon , but as I stated , common sense. I want a phone number , to a landline , and there will be a few calls. I use payment that can be traced and I check feedback. If anything smells even a little fishy I'm outta there.
                                                                                  None of that guarantees I won't be ripped off , but it goes a long way towards preventing it.
                                                                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                                                                  Marantz CD5005
                                                                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• looneybomber
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2007
                                                                                    • 194

#42
                                                                                    Lot's of comments about buying on AG, but what about selling? Are there a lot of dead-beat bidders? Or I should say, is it worse than ebay?

I've done well on the 'Gon , but as I stated , common sense. I want a phone number , to a landline , and there will be a few calls.
                                                                                    What do you do if they don't have a landline, like me?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2007
                                                                                      • 1877

#43
                                                                                      I've sold on Audiogon, and had good luck, but I never ship an item before I receive full payment. I have done COD a couple of times.
                                                                                      John unk:

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2007
                                                                                        • 704

#44
                                                                                        I've done well on the 'Gon , but as I stated , common sense. I want a phone number , to a landline , and there will be a few calls. I use payment that can be traced and I check feedback. If anything smells even a little fishy I'm outta there.
                                                                                        None of that guarantees I won't be ripped off , but it goes a long way towards preventing it.
                                                                                        I don't know anyone under 35 with a landline.
                                                                                        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2009
                                                                                          • 99

#45
                                                                                          I also don't release or expect an item until payment has been received.Just purchased a brand new unopened Mark levinson 433 on the Gon. In return I sold my B&K 7250 amp to another buyer without a hitch. I make sure that I communicate several times with them and also send or request pictures depending on the transaction. I don't use a landline any more either and I'm over 35. :B

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"