Monitor Audio speakers, now need an Amp...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironchef
    • Feb 2005

Monitor Audio speakers, now need an Amp...

Has anyone ever thought ' Hey, all I need are a new pair of speakers, and this system will be perfect' - then proceeded to upgrade the speakers, and find the rest of the system wanting? What does *your* wife say?

I have a Rotel 1062/1072 combination that I was pretty happy with, and upgraded speakers from B&W 603S3 to MA GR-20's last weekend. I was expecting to be floored with the switch, as I'd auditioned the MAs with my own amp, but once I set it all up, I found some things to be lacking. Amp somehow seems to be straining slightly. and failing to really 'sing'. I have largely eliminated the problem of room dynamics (although this is ongoing), and cabling.

My question is, what are alternative amps that would bring out the potential in these beautiful spkrs? I like cleanness and detail, but sweetness is important too, and bass definition. Based on this criteria, I am shortlisting the Bryston 3B SST (although with what pre I don't know), Musical Fidelity A3.5 Integrated, and Creek 5350SE. Thes eseem to fit my budget, and I'd like to stick with SS gear.

Any ideas or firsthand experience is appreciated.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

I don't know how efficient (sensitive) the GR-20's are compared to the GR-10's.
    Sometimes the larger speaker is actually more efficient. Anyway, I ran some GR-10's with my Rotel RSX-1055 and I really liked the combo. Yes, the 1055 is closer to 90-100w in 2 ch mode, but the RA-1062 usually bench tests at more than it's modest 60w rating.

Considering my experience, I would think that a Rotel RB-1070 should easily drive the GR-20's. Od course, Rotel is not the only option but I do like the Rotel/MA combo. If you like a warmer sound, try a used Classe CA-100, maybe from audiogon. I would also consider some of the new switching amps like Nuforce. Good luck- let us know what you find.

Comment

• ironchef
      • Feb 2005

Hmmmm GR10 is 88dB, GR20 is 89dB, actually quite similar. Difference is that the former are 8ohms, and the latter are 6ohms. Does this really make a difference wrt to how much power is necessary to drive?

While I was shopping for new speakers, I happened to audition a pair of B&W 804s driven by a variety of amplifiers, including the RB-1080. I love the full sound of the Rotel, everything my 1062 did, just more of it. The Musical Fidelity A5 resolved more detail, and shone some more light on other dynamics, but also seemed to distance the music slightly, where the rotel made it more immediate. Is this what people refer to as 'coloration'?

Gianni, thanks for the input!

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

88db and 89db for the 10 and 20 sounds about right. When a/b testing the GR-10's against my speakers, I remember having to turn the volume up about one notch with the GR-10 to level match my speakers which are about 89db and 4 ohm. Yes, 8 v 6 ohm will make some difference but it is not huge. 89db and 6 ohm is not a particularly difficult load. The 1062 should be fine with this but only your ear is going to tell you if a more robust amp will be more to your liking. It is worth a listen to find out.

I think in this case what you noticed describing the music as more immediate would be an example of 'perspective' rather than coloration. Which works better for you will involve a number of factors - your equipment/speakers and room interaction. Also, your personal preference and the type of music you listen to. Classical listeners may prefer a more laid back perspective. Listeners prefering Jazz, vocals, and pop may like a somewhat more forward or immediate presentation. The latter is what I prefer. I would rather sit in the 2nd or 3rd row rather than the 10th. Also, in my experience, for the type of music I listen to, a slightly forward presentation seems to make the music more life like.

Comment

• ironchef
          • Feb 2005

Just an update, I decided to take the MA recommendation of component pairing, as they recommend Musical Fidelity. I auditioned lots of other manufacturer's products as well, like Rotel Separates, and a few others, but kept coming back to the musical Fidelity. Nothing else really came close, even though I wanted to like the Bryston kit, becuase it is damn serious looking, and I love the look. Just came down to the cost/performance reality, and nothing else really came close for 4K canadian.

Purchased the A3.5 dual mono integrated and matching CD player, and have been enormously happy ever since. This pairing definitely works - could be that design engineers were using these components when testing, I have no idea. I posted a few more dtails about this under the Manufacturer thread under Musical Fidelity.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"