X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minivan
    • Jan 2005

Best DAC to use

Alright folks,

I'm running some B&W 705s on an Arcam AVR100.

My PC is the hub of all my entertainment. Currently I have it send the signal optically (via toslink cable) to the amp, then the Arcam uses it's DAC.

I've been looking at the new sound card from Creative Labs - Sound BlasterĀ® X-Fi Elite Pro. Review: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2518

Anyone know if the DAC on this sound card would be better? Should I use the DAC on this, then send the analogue signal to the Acram amp for better sound quality?

cheers,

Minivan
    ----------------------------------
    Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since it reclocks the signal for lowest jitter, I'd use a Benchmark DAC1 when using a PC as the source component....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

You'll also want to confirm that your soundcard doesn't resample to 48khz with Windows kmixer. It will still destroy bit-perfect digital output and playback. To get bit-perfect 44.1 playback you need a soundcard that can natively sample at 44.1khz.
      Jason

Comment

• Blazar
        • Feb 2004

Most of the good professional DAC's have re-clocking features. It's not so easy to compare one clock to another but most are quite good these days when dealing with the leading professional manfacturers.

My prime choices would be the benchmark dac-1 or agogee mini-dac with balanced outputs if I were to buy a dac for pc right now.

I would go for something with optical inputs since it decouples the dac from any pc electrical noise and ground loops. With the excellent re-clocking that professional dacs employ, there is really no difference that is measurable between toslink and coaxial once they have been re-clocked.

Computer playback of music files is more accurate than any cd transport presuming you have a bit-perfect copy of a brand-new unscratched CD.
        Blazar!
        (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Blazar
          Computer playback of music files is more accurate than any cd transport presuming you have a bit-perfect copy of a brand-new unscratched CD.
          Why...?

BTW, I just heard some CD and HiRez DVD at the 119th AES with the DAC1 over HD-600 headphones and it was awesome :E
          Last edited by jim777; 11 October 2005, 16:11 Tuesday. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"