X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mukaudio
    • Oct 2005

Linn Genki decision

I was originally planning on getting a Rotel RCD-1072 cd player for my system, as it looked like a good entry-level player to go.

My system is comprised of a Marantz SR-5400 receiver, Paradigm Studio 20s, and Paradigm Seismic 10. The Rotel seems to fit in pretty well.

However, I have come across a new Linn Genki for $1250. It's a bit of a price jump over the Rotel, but that's almost 40% off the Genki's MSRP. So, I was wondering:

1) Should I be leery about getting a player that was released in 1999? Seems like a long time ago in "electronics years" although the Genki does have good reviews.

2) Is the Genki overkill for my system? Within three years I would like to replace the Marantz AVR with Rotel separates (and possibly some Studio 60s), and I thought maybe the Genki would be a good purchase for the long term.

Thanks,

Mark.
    Mark
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Mark,

I have listened to the Genki and it is a great sounding cd player (especially for the pp). Newer is not always better and I would not be concerned about your source player being better than your system as the better quality/sound of your source player will only make it produce better redbook cd's. And as long as you like it, you will not have to consider changing the player down the road. And, if it does not work out, you can sell it on Audiogon for close to your pp.

Stan
    Stan

Comment

• Mukaudio
      • Oct 2005

Well, due to a variety of factors, I missed out on the Linn Genki. :|

I was wondering what other cd players exist in the $1000-$2000 price range.

Offhand I'm familiar with:

Musical Fidelity X-Ray ($1000)
      Musical Fidelity A3.5 ($1650)

Mark.
      Mark

Comment

• akhter
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mukaudio
        I was originally planning on getting a Rotel RCD-1072 cd player for my system, as it looked like a good entry-level player to go.

My system is comprised of a Marantz SR-5400 receiver, Paradigm Studio 20s, and Paradigm Seismic 10. The Rotel seems to fit in pretty well.

However, I have come across a new Linn Genki for $1250. It's a bit of a price jump over the Rotel, but that's almost 40% off the Genki's MSRP. So, I was wondering:

1) Should I be leery about getting a player that was released in 1999? Seems like a long time ago in "electronics years" although the Genki does have good reviews.

2) Is the Genki overkill for my system? Within three years I would like to replace the Marantz AVR with Rotel separates (and possibly some Studio 60s), and I thought maybe the Genki would be a good purchase for the long term.

Thanks,

Mark.

I almost bought a Linn Genki and then ended up getting an Arcam CD73 (which costs a lot less). Actually I went to audition a CD192 which is about 1700, but since the CD73 happened to be nearby, I auditioned it, and ended up getting it. The knowlege that a CD73 is fully upgradeable to a CD192 (including faceplate and DACs) sealed the deal for me.

Comment

• ironchef
          • Feb 2005

The Rotel is an excellent player, as I'm sure you're aware from all of the online reviews. It is however, still limited to the 18 bit sample rate, and does have it's limitations, compared to others in the same price category.
          Spending this much money, it really is necessary to listen to the stuff to see if you like it, but blah blah blah, I hate it when people tell me that.

I have the 1072, but to do it over again, I would listen to the Cambridge Azur 540, the Arcam 73, and the MH A3.5. The 3.5 kinda pisses me off because it's just a repackaged X-ray, add $600 to the pricetag. Still, I think it's probably a very nice unit.

I have listened to Naim 5i (very detailed, lacks smoothness and transparency), and the Rega Planet (just didn't like it), and I prefer the Rotel. You could do worse.

Comment

• gianni
            • Nov 2002

I have listened to the Arcam CD73 and the Rotel in my system at the same time (A/B, yes - I bought both). They are both great sounding entry level players with slightly different characters. However, if you heard them separately, I doubt you could tell them apart. I ended up with the Rotel, but that is beside the point.

If you are interested in the Arcam CD players, make sure you give the CD73 a good listen. I spent considerable time with the CD73 and the CD192 in a dealer showroom ( all to myself on a high end Krell system ) trying several different CD's. The CD73 was so darned close (both were amazing) to the CD192 in performance that I would be more than happy with the CD73. In fact, with my equipment (or yours as well), I would not even consider the CD192 - for nearly twice the money you get maybe 2% more performance. I know that urge to buy up the chain but these entry level players are really pretty good.

Comment

• Mukaudio
              • Oct 2005

To those of you who recommended Arcam cd players, a big thanks! :T I ending up buying an Arcam CD93 (it was replaced by the current CD192) and it has been awesome so far! Same DACs as the 192 and a metal case, so I found it to be a great deal.

The Genki was nice, but in the end I was attracted to:

a) a newer design
              b) 24bit 192khz upsampling
              c) a lower price

Mark.
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"