X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Cambridge 640C vs Marantz DV7500 vs DAC1

Looking for my next upgrade and would like to hear everyone's comments, suggestions, etc on my ideas.

My current setup:
    Source: Pioneer Elite DV-37
    Pre-Amp: Marantz SR-6400
    Pro-Amp: Parasound HCA1500
    Spkrs: B&W 805 & Velodyne SPL-800II
    Cable/Wire: DH Labs (everything)

I feel my weakest link is my source right now. I have a computer that I use as a music server (not for serious listening, but just for around-the-house music), and after certain current threads, I think it may be a new hope. I like my Pioneer because it's region-free and half of my DVDs are Region 2, but it's really lacking in music.

Marantz: I was considering the Marantz DVD player and unlock the regions. Then I can have both a better DVD player and a better CD player.

Cambridge: I have heard that this CD player blows away most universal DVD players 3x its price range. So it's probably better than the Marantz, but it'll add another component to my audio rack.

Benchmark DAC1: My last idea here was to upgrade my music server and that my primary music source. Re-rip my CDs and have them as monkey or wave files, change my soundcard to an M-Audio Revolution, and output a 44.1k signal ASIO via optical to a Benchmark DAC1. This way I'll just keep my Pioneer DVD player for movies.

Comments?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Short answer -- I like the DAC solution... biggest bang for the buck IMO.

You might browse Audiogon for a used DAC, in addition to considering the DAC1... I found an older EAD DSP-7000 there that is absolutely thrilling with music.

Before jumping to a new DAC, the other thing I'd try is to go against the conventional wisdom of listening to music from the Pioneer via analog, and trying the Marantz DACs -- if only as a test... I've found them to be rather musical... that's subjective, of course.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

If you're looking for 2 channel only versus muti channel have you considered tubes? A few have gone this route and they are hard to beat for true analog.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gd
        Before jumping to a new DAC, the other thing I'd try is to go against the conventional wisdom of listening to music from the Pioneer via analog, and trying the Marantz DACs -- if only as a test... I've found them to be rather musical... that's subjective, of course.
        I actually switch all the time. I find the Pioneer's DAC better with rock type music, and the Marantz' DAC better with jazz/classic type, so I have the A/D toggle programmed into my remote and switch depending on the music. The Marantz is nice, but still would be my bottleneck.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
          If you're looking for 2 channel only versus muti channel have you considered tubes? A few have gone this route and they are hard to beat for true analog.
          No, I'm not considering 2-channel only. Even though I like equipment made for 2-channel only, and even though I only have a 2.1 setup right now, my setup is slowing being built for HT.

If that wasn't the case I would have sold everything already and gone with a Musical Fidelity A5 intergrated amp and A5 CD player.

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by audioqueso
            I actually switch all the time... I would have sold everything already and gone with a Musical Fidelity A5 intergrated amp and A5 CD player.
            Cool... with that said, I'd repeat my recommendation for the DAC solution... the Benchmark is universally praised (haven't heard it myself)... and Musical Fidelity DACs routinely show up on A-gon, along with other desirable makes.

Seems you've got the region-free player you need... might as well simply upgrade the music playback... paired with the rather stable Elite transport, the right DAC will likely outperform either new player you're considering, good as they are.
            greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

You could likely use the Dac1 on both your PC and from the Pioneer as well :T
              Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gd
                ...the right DAC will likely outperform either new player you're considering, good as they are.
                Really? So the DAC1 really is THAT good? I guess I could get that and improve both pc and dvd, huh?

For movies though that's another story. My Marantz will be doing the decoding if sent digitally. So unless I buy a DVD player that has a better DAC than my Marantz, then it really doesn't improve much in terms of audio, huh?

So... my music server (done correctly) with a DAC1 can out-perform a Cambridge 640C? Interesting. I've never considered my music server as a source for serious listening, but this is shining new ideas into my head.

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  Really? So the DAC1 really is THAT good?... DVD player that has a better DAC than my Marantz, then it really doesn't improve much in terms of audio, huh?... my music server (done correctly) with a DAC1 can out-perform a Cambridge 640C?
                  Whoa, hold on -- I didn't say the DAC1 would outperform all, and that's because I haven't heard it... nonetheless, nearly everyone who has, loves it... if nothing else, they command a very high resale value... I'm pretty sure I'll try one in the not-too-distant future.

I wouldn't worry about movie sound... the Marantz is perfectly capable.

Music server... kinda hard to make a blanket statement without knowing all the associated equipment and room conditions, but I think it's probably safe to say that any quality outboard DAC should show an improvement over the CA... plus, most of them do have two digital inputs (typically one coax and one optical) that could service both your disc player and your PC.
                  greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gd
                    the right DAC will likely outperform either new player you're considering, good as they are.
                    Originally posted by gd
                    Whoa, hold on -- I didn't say the DAC1 would outperform all.
                    Sorry gd, apparently you did. lol :T
                    Don't take offense to it, but if you haven't heard the DAC1, then you shouldn't really make a statement about it's quality. That's just speculating and any of us can do that by reading on the net or magazines. But seriously, thanks.

Comment

• gd
                      • Jan 2003

????
                      greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"