X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hieronimus
    • Sep 2005

B&W703: Amp and Sub Questions

I wonder whether I should go for B&W 703, and if Rotel RB-1080 is ok for them.

Should I consider a sub? There's an Infinity Kappa Sub on sale now, which sounded clear, but do I really need it for stereo?

Roughly, the budget for the above is 5000 in USD.

Enlighten me with ideas, please...
    Hieronimus
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

I started with 2x 704 on a denon integrated amp, then 1x HTM7. After a listening session on Rotel (comparing integrated and separates), I immediately bought the 1068 and 1075, I didn't consider the 1080 because I need multichannel music. I then compared 704 and 703 and 804, and bought 2x 703, and later sold the HTM7, and bought a 3rd 703 for the center. It all sounds great now, so I've ordered a Sony CD/SACD dedicated player. Next, I may look at getting a digital Rotel (1077), which I'll need to compare when available here.

If I had could have stretched the budget, I would have got 804 or 803, which clearly delivered "tighter" sound, "out of the box" compared to 703... But now with the 703 at home, my next speaker purchase will be HTM3 for the TV room, and then 3x 802 (if I get a promotion!) for SACD room (the garage).

Oh, I forgot, yes, I'd like a sub, but with 5 large speakers and only music (no cinema) in a 30m2 space, I doubt I really need it...

Comment

• hieronimus
      • Sep 2005

Thanks for writing csuzor.

Yeah, I'm very close to settling with a pair of 703 and Rotel 1070+1080 pre+amp. I am also limited with space, so I'll probably drop the sub for now.

Any suggestions on a DVD player that gives good two-channel sound , but could also be used for watching movies on the stereo (no HT ambitions for now, but could expand later)?
      Hieronimus

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

I've got a Rotel 1068 pre-pro, 1075 amp, 1060 DVD, and B&W 703s, 705s, HTM7, and ASW 700. Believe me, the 703s put out beautiful bass. You can easily get by w/o a sub, esp if you're not doing movies.

If it's just music, the 803s SING! But that'll add about 2000 to your budget. 803s are better, but for the price range, the 703s are amazing!

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

hieronimus, I ran a pair of CDM9NT's with an RB1080, and it produced a very good sound until I wanted to listen at high volume. In that situation my system just didn't cut the mustard, so I bought a sub and it made a big difference.

As the 703's are the replacement model for the CDM9NT's (similar size, power and specs) I think that you'll find the same thing. That combination will provide good bass and plenty of mid/high range detail at low and moderate volume. So yes, the RB1080 is a good match for 703's.

Whether or not you'll need a sub depends entirely on how much volume you require, for example whether you have dance parties, or a big room to fill, or just enjoy the occasional bleeding ear.

Comment

• hieronimus
            • Sep 2005

Thank you all for the feedback.

I demoed several options at the dealer, and, for those looking into 705s, the price difference to 703s makes every sense. The 704 is somewhere in between, but closer to the 703. The 703s have superior volume, clarity and reachness to 705s, even with a sub. Especially the classical music is revealing of this. Between the 805D/S+sub and 703, still went for the 703. It's probably the larger box, and the mid-driver that make the difference.

I decided for the 703s with the RC-1070/RB-1080, Marantz DV6500 SACD/DVD and Marantz ST-17 tuner. I skipped the sub for now.

I played some old pop/rock music, and I was supprised to reveal the new details and colors in songs that I've heard so many times before. It's been quite an expirience :-).

I still need to work on the positioning. The room is quite asymetric, with gallery in one part, 18ft tall there, and only 8ft at the other end.

I still haven't got to the volume level issue, need to accommodate the neighbours/girlfriend with the "200W speakers in the neighbourhood" idea first :B .
            Last edited by hieronimus; 02 October 2005, 17:20 Sunday. Reason: the loud volumes issue
            Hieronimus

Comment

• csuzor
              • Nov 2004

Congrats, and welcome to the club! Nice choice.

I agree, the 704 and 703 are quite close, and the 705 or 805 with a sub cannot compare to the 703. The FST mid and integrated bass driver make all the difference.

For sacd, check out http://www.sa-cd.net/ and http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/bbs.html

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Good work hieronimus!

Comment

• thyname
                  • Jan 2005

Congratulations hieronimious for your new purchase. I have B&W 703s in my mind when upgrading my 2 channel system in the future. I currently run Rotel RB-1080/RC-1070 combo with Rotel RCD-1072 cdp and Axiom M60ti speakers. However, not a long time ago, at some friend's home I listened to a pair of Totem Reference bookshelves (can't remember the series number) with a sub. Sounded awesome!! He also had a tube pre amp and a 2X30 wpc Passe class A power amp though. I was thinking of a pair of B&W 805s plus a sub instead of 703 with my current Rotel combo. Any thoughts or experiences?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"