X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cinema bob
    • Apr 2005

multi-channel tube amp setup

so I have been thinking about this a little recently and have come to the conclusion that a 5.1 or 7.1 system for about 50/50 music/home theater would be cool. the catch is i would like to make it using tube amps and high efficiency speakers.
    i was thinking about la scala klones for the front three channels but am having problems decideing on speakers for the surrounds maybe some of the smaller Pi loudspeakers would be good?
    i also am having questions about the pre-pro, are there any that would allow me to have that wonderful tube sound without getting in the way, or maybe accentuate it? Halo, anthem, rotel...?
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Here... go nuts.

When PR guy Adam Sohmer first told me about the Fosgate Audionics FAP V1, I thought that the impressive-looking device would be the first all-tube preamp-processor—heck, the first tube anything—in my multichannel system. Then I looked closer at the user's manual I'd downloaded from Fosgate's website. Hmmm. No Dolby Digital, no DTS—just Dolby Pro Logic. Of course, the FAP V1 is Jim Fosgate's signature expression of Dolby Pro Logic, and I guess that counts for something. But the more I thought about it, the more interesting a prospect the FAP V1 seemed.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• cinema bob
      • Apr 2005

that is cool, but i need something for audio that is already in multichannel like SACD DVD-A and also DTS and Dolby Digital decoding from DVD's. the fosgate is really more for people who want multi-channel from 2-channel sources.

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

OK... try this at half the price...

Pricy, but tubes...
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

cinema bob, this may strike you as a silly question, but why tubes for a surround set up? Don't get me wrong, I have a Jolida tubed cd player, and Envoy tubed preamp, and may migrate to tubed amps for 2 channel so I am with you on tubes, again but, the dynamics (edginess) that are had with solid state will add to surround like I would think tubes could'nt. I will not part with my Rotel RSP-1068 for some time to come due to the fact it does surround sounds like tubes probably could'nt. Tubes are quite emotional, romantic if you will, for music, but for ht I much prefer ss. BTW, I run Klipsch Reference series speaks (efficient and then some)

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
            cinema bob, this may strike you as a silly question, but why tubes for a surround set up? Don't get me wrong, I have a Jolida tubed cd player, and Envoy tubed preamp, and may migrate to tubed amps for 2 channel so I am with you on tubes, again but, the dynamics (edginess) that are had with solid state will add to surround like I would think tubes could'nt. I will not part with my Rotel RSP-1068 for some time to come due to the fact it does surround sounds like tubes probably could'nt. Tubes are quite emotional, romantic if you will, for music, but for ht I much prefer ss. BTW, I run Klipsch Reference series speaks (efficient and then some)
            If you a re referring to what I call polite sounding, I disagree. SETS can be that way , yet my SETS that are 32 watts are from from romantic...atleast to me. Many tubes are warm and are very held back and to that I agree witrh your statement but some SETs and a few good push pulls are quite the dynamic little buggars.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• cinema bob
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
              not silly at all. you maybe right, but there is only one way to really find out
              also i really want to hear a multi-channel tube system for audio playback as well. at this point this system is 100% hypothetical. but the time may soon come when i have a dedicated room. so i need to plan on how silly i am going to get.

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

Bam, I like the word polite, it seems to fit.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"