X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

room size for dedicated HT

I'm wondering how 14 X 18 would be for a dedicated HT? Right now I am in a 20 X 20, but a multi-purpose room. If I went with the 14 X 18, it might be more dedicated. It won't happen for a while, but it might be good to at least take a look at the dimensions now, while I am in the planning stages of this room, which initially will become my daughter's space.

Someday though, I could put an HT in there possibly. Ceiling height a bit limited,but I bet 9 feet ceiling sure would be better for the HT, huh?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Im about to buy a house and convert a 2 car garage into a theater room. my room will only be 15x15 before I build a wall in front of the garage door. so you are probably a little better off than me.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, when I don't plan to have a lot of people in my theater, I think 14 X 18 will do "ok", while larger scale would be great, someday maybe...
      Doug

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Lex, my dedicated HT is 12x18 with 8' ceilings...it's just great for a 7-8 people. That space would be just groovy! :T

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Sounds like it would be at least adequate A bit bigger might be nicer but if it's not sharing space with other stuff you should be good to go I'd think :T
          Jason

Comment

• taz13
            • Jun 2004

I am currently blowing out my old home theater and removing a wall to give me an area of 13 x 40 that I am going to make into a theater at one end 13X18X8 with a bar at the other end and agames area in the middle. I am thinking of some type of curtain that can be closed behind the theater seating. Or left open when there is a larger audience. My setup for seating is currently 2 rows of 3. Recliners in the front and a couch on a movable riser.
            So I will be watching here for some good ideas.
            The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
            Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Lex ol' man, here's an old post of mine giving some of the "golden ratios" and it just so happens to use an 18' deep room:
              Some more thoughts . . . I read somewhere that the ideal room shape for a listening room is a trapezoid as there are no parallel surfaces in it. Hopefully you aren't going to try that one! Regardless, some room shapes are better/worse than others. A round room or a perfectly square one are two examples of bad shapes. Some good room ratios:

There are several Golden Ratio room shapes that are said to reduce standing waves, flatten room response (the same thing?), etc. One that comes to mind is:

1.0 W x .61 H x 1.61 L

it doesn't look like a functional one for you because an 18 foot long room will give you a width of 11.2 feet and a height of 7 feet. You could use Bolt's ratios which are:

1.0 H x 1.14 W x 1.39 L - 12.95' H x 15.78' W x 18.0' L
              1.0 H x 1.28 W x 1.54 L - 11.68' H x 14.06' W x 18.0' L
              1.0 H x 1.60 W x 2.33 L - 7.72' H x 11.25' W x 18.0' L

which might be more useable depending on your ceiling height. There are others, but I don't have them documented anywhere.

FWIW, don't think these are hard and fast rules, 'cause if you don't like any of those sizes, and if you understand acoustic treatments and how they work, you can make almost any shape of room sound good.
              Bolt's second is dead-on for your width and depth BTW. 14' x 18' is a good mid-size room that you can probably get 6-7 people in, and in comfort.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, I don't know for sure that I will ever use the room this way. But I might. It won't be for a good while probably.

it's always great to have more space, but my addition if done will be limited by several factors. 1. Cost of course. 2. Space available. 3. desire for other aspect of addition in terms of more garage space. 4. lack of Desire to heat and cool larger room in addition to 2034 sq feet plus already.

Thanks for the chart David.

Doug
                Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Lex.

I've found that a 16 foot x 18 foot "great room" with "cathedral ceiling" (ceiling meets walls at 8 feet, peaking at 12 feet in the middle of the room) works well as a home theater room. It is just enough of a non-cube to kill the worst of the standing waves.

Those dimensions make it big enough to properly position tall planar speakers without blocking the projection screen, and it is space that I was air conditioning anyway. At the moment I am using three Ekornes chairs as theater seating. If I really wanted to, I could put in a riser at the back of the room for a second tier of seats but I prefer to keep the floor plan flexible for multiple uses of the room, although with four tall speakers, two racks of equipment and a 10 foot diagonal fixed mount screen on the wall, there is no doubt what the primary purpose of the room really is. ;>)

Good luck with your HT project.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

My room ended up being 11.5' x 19.5' x 8' and I think it worked out fine... seats 6 comfortably in 6 la-z-boy recliners. The BFD and room eq on my receiver really made a big difference in the overall sound. No problems with standing waves that are noticeable although there are probably some there.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"