6.1 or 7.1... need to know before I wire.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattCXII
    • Feb 2004

6.1 or 7.1... need to know before I wire.

Hey everyone,

I am currently at the wiring stage of my basement finishing and need some advise on a 6.1 or a 7.1 setup. Please let me know the benefits and disadvatages to both setups. I want to make sure I wire the best setup while the drywall is down as well as utalizing the best setup for sound quality.

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

Matt
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

What size is your room?
    My Car Audio

Comment

• MattCXII
      • Feb 2004

approx. 16 feet long x 11 feet wide

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

You could go either way in a room that size. Depending on the layout and how much room you have behind the seats, 5.1 might be the best route.

For maximum flexibility though, run more wires than you need. Put 3 back surround wires in--one on each side and one in the center. Then you can easily do 6.1 or 7.1 (or 8.1 if such a thing comes into being in the future).

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Running extra wire is cheap insurance I agree with Kev, run as many extra lines as you can, I'll even throw in the possibility of future formats including front "height" speakers and "front surrounds".
          Jason

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

my room is about 10.5 ft. long and 14 ft wide. So I'd say our room is fairly close in size, I think 5.1 in a room this size is good enough. But I've always wanted to hear what a properly setup 7.1 setup sounds like, so I think I'd like the option of having extra wires in there in the future as well.

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

I'll Take a Stab

I say...wire for 7.1 Just leave the wires in the wall. Zig-Zag your wires for the 7.1 in between the 2 studs LOOSE. Then sheet rock over and set up your 5.1 system. If you deside to do a 7.1 hook a tone generator to the end that you have by your gear, find your wires, and yank them out.

NOTE: Strip the ends of your wires and make sure that they are not touching. It gives a better signal when using your tone generator to find them in the walls. Also take a picture of where they are at before you sheet rock so that you have a visual ref.

I do think that a room of that size and layout, a 5.1 system would work best.

And that is my .02 cents. :T
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I concur with the others here, I would at least wire for 7.2. Even if you don't use it, at least you are 7.2 channel ready. Based on your room size however, it would seem that 5.1 would be sufficient, unless you can expand that particular room.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• eddiem67
                  • Jun 2004

Definintely 5.1 unless your seating position will be somewhat in the middle of the room, then 7.1 is do-able
                  My Car Audio

Comment

• MattCXII
                    • Feb 2004

Sounds like good advice. Im gonna wire for 7.1 and see how I like it. If I find it's not a good match for my room due to the size I can go back to a 5.1.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Hey Matt... I'm with the others... my room is 11.5' X 19.5' and I have it wired for 7.1, 6.1, and 5.1 and have tried them all. 5.1 definitely works the best for me. I think my room would have to be several feet wider to benefit much from 7.1.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"