X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey
    • Sep 2005

2 channel amping

could anybody on this thread answer this question??

Hi, just wondering out there if anyone has connected a two channel amp into one speaker that has 4 binding posts..Just picked up a T-amp for my main fronts and they are excellent but in Home theatre use they overpower my centre channel..so I'm thinking of getting another one just for my center channel..any thoughts out there??
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

your pretty much bi-amping your speaker, nothing wrong with it, go for it
    My Car Audio

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

Going that route is known as vertical bi-amping. The other way to try it is to use one amp to drive the lower terminals and another amp to driver the upper terminals. Known as horizontal biamping. Should work just fine as long as you have two outputs for your center, or you use a Y splitter.

Comment

• ritmick
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Joey
        could anybody on this thread answer this question??

Hi, just wondering out there if anyone has connected a two channel amp into one speaker that has 4 binding posts..Just picked up a T-amp for my main fronts and they are excellent but in Home theatre use they overpower my centre channel..so I'm thinking of getting another one just for my center channel..any thoughts out there??
        listen to rolex...
        it seems to me that you should not go for vertical bi-amping. This way, the bass driver is fed with the right-channel signal and the mid-range/tweeter is receiving left-channel signals. This can be somewhat confusing 4 your center.

Succes

Comment

• dortiz
          • Mar 2005

Ummm.. you can plug a right channel with a Y splitter in to the same amp. Nothing confusing there.

Comment

• Joey
            • Sep 2005

wow..excellent feedback guys..thanks! I'm just glad I don't have to open up my centre channel and screw around with the "innards"! A buddy of mine also told me I could bridge the centre just like when you bridge subs into cars.Two channel amp = right positive left negative leaving two empty speaker terminals..any thoughts on that??

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Maybe it's me... but if you are going through all this work to try to bridge/psuedo biamp...just buy a better amp... :/

You'll get better quality this way.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Joey
                • Sep 2005

Hey Pewter, its that the amp is no good..its that its a two channel amp with hook-ups for left/right speaker..as I earlier mentioned, I want to connect it to my solo centre speaker and was wondering about speaker connections..I'm sort of new to amps since this is my second one pucharsed (first one connected to my mains) and wanted to make sure nothing goes wrong..

P.S. I have my left/right main channel amp connected to my receiver since its has pre-outs and plan on doing the same with my centre..any thoughts??

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Joey
                  wow..excellent feedback guys..thanks! I'm just glad I don't have to open up my centre channel and screw around with the "innards"! A buddy of mine also told me I could bridge the centre just like when you bridge subs into cars.Two channel amp = right positive left negative leaving two empty speaker terminals..any thoughts on that??
                  Yeah that is what I said you could do on the HT post.
                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• eddiem67
                    • Jun 2004

Now Im confused, is your center channel bi-wirable is so you can use a y splitter from the center pre-out to the the two channels on the amp, one side plugs into 1 set of terminals, the other side to the other terminals.

Now if your talking about bridging the amp, thats a whole different story, need to make sure the capablility of the amps impedance bridged is not higher than the impedance of the center channel speaker.
                    My Car Audio

Comment

• Joey
                      • Sep 2005

Hey Eddie..my centre channel is bi-wireable but I was looking at the easiest way of hooking this stuff up..so I thought bridging would be easier...it sounds like there may be some pitfalls on this type of wiring?? Correct me if I'm wrong but when you bridge something you normally double the amps and lower the impendance??My centre channel is 8 ohms 91db sensitivity with an RMS rating of 200 watts.

Comment

• Snap
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2005

Eddie is going to ask what the amp is rated at probably. Check the specs on the amp and see what it does for bridged mono at 8ohms.
                        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Joey
                          • Sep 2005

Don't laugh now guys.....this is not giving me much power but the little baby has an excellent soundstage and clarity..it has opened up my mids & highs in a LARGE way..don't worry I have a dedicated sub for the lows..

Don't laugh now..

Class-T architecture
                          Single Supply Operation
                          "Audiophile" Quality Sound
                          0.04% THD+N @ 9W, 4.
                          0.18% IHF-IM @ 1W, 4.
                          11W @ 4., 0.1% THD+N
                          6W @ 8., 0.1% THD+N
                          High Power
                          15W @ 4., 10% THD+N
                          10W @ 8., 10% THD+N
                          High Efficiency
                          81% @ 15W, 4.
                          88% @ 10W, 8.
                          Dynamic Range = 102 dB

Comment

• whoaru99
                            • Jul 2004

Bi-amping the center at best would be a 3dB (doubling) power increase, but in terms of volume level, at best, it would be only a little bit louder. You many not even notice unless you listen carefully.

Another option, and a free one, is to lower the levels of the mains to match the center.

Edit: If it's possible to bridge the amp, typically you get 2x the 4 ohm rating in terms of power output - that is assuming the amp is connected to an 8 ohm speaker. Whether or not this would be enough depends on how much difference there is between the mains and center.

Do you have a sound level meter? If not, it's something you really should consider getting. They are like $30 or $40 at Radio Shack.
                            Last edited by whoaru99; 23 September 2005, 08:22 Friday.
                            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Joey
                              • Sep 2005

Thank TR,....I'm going the route of bridging (right positive/left negative) since its the easist route to take but I'll keep your advice in mind..

Joe

Comment

• whoaru99
                                • Jul 2004

Can't seem to find an actual owner's manual for the T-amp on line. Since you have the manual, does it say the amp outputs can be bridged?

Usually there is a switch on the amp that puts it into bridge mode if it's possible, or a diagram that shows how to jumper the inputs and or speaker outputs to get it done but I don't see any of that on pictures of this amp - provided I'm looking at the same amp, that is.
                                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Joey
                                  • Sep 2005

here is the web-page/review....unfortunately there is nothing that says that it can be bridged..but what's the harm in trying..

Comment

• whoaru99
                                    • Jul 2004

Worst case, I suppose, would be damage to the amplifier.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"