2 Channel Digital Receiver/Bookshelf Speakers Recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theodd
    • Sep 2005

2 Channel Digital Receiver/Bookshelf Speakers Recommendations?

Hey guys,

I've been reading post on the site for sometime but this is my first post. Here goes.

Basically I’m looking for a two-channel amp and a 2-channel receiver that would primarily be connected to my Power Mac G5 via an optical connection or the express purpose of listening to music.

Budget - $1000.00

I'm a musician and have always had studio monitors surrounding my LCD computer display so I'm a little bit spoiled. Right now I have a pair of Mackie HR824's. I'm taking a vacation from being a working musician and would like to transition to more of a music appreciator.

I have a Power Mac G5 which has an optical out on it. In the studio I used the optical out so I could run into high end DAC before sending to my Mackies. Now I need the “enthusiasts” solution for this system. I mainly listen to mp3’s (gasp…I know) from my iTunes library but I would also like to eventually connect a high end CD player to the mix as well.

Questions:

1) Are there any 2-channel amps out there that would have an optical input? I really want to avoid the Macs crappy converters I would have to use if I used the analog output. Most amps that have digital ins are for multi channel sound obviously. But I'll never use more then 2 channels.
    2) I’m pretty sure this is a non-issue, but would I have to worry about speaker shielding if I have a LCD display? Right now the Mackies are shielded for studio use and the new speakers would be sitting two inches away from my computer display.

So that’s it. I really could use any gear suggestions possible for this project. I’ve been listening to a few B&W bookshelfs and I like what I’ve heard so far.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Wade, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I'm not aware of any amps that have optical (Toslink) inputs, but almost every receiver, integrated amp or pre/pro made has at least one of these inputs (mine has eight). With your budget constraints and desire for good 2-channel sound, I'd look at one of the NAD integrated amps. Say the C352 (MSRP US$600), or if you want to step up after hearing the C352, there is the C372 (MSRP US$899). I'm not clear on whether the $1,000 is an amp budget only, but if it is then go directly to the C372. Here are some owner reviews on it from AudioReview:

NAD C372

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• theodd
      • Sep 2005

Hey thanks for writing. I did follow that link you sent me and checked out the C372. It's funny because I was leaning towards NAD anyway. But I did some more research and I came up with the NAD L53. It's actually just what I'm looking for. It's 50WX2 with a DVD/CD player built in. I was really skeptical but I read some reviews and people really seemed to like it. It might not be up to the audiophile standard around here, but this is really an entry level system I'm building. Plus, it was $479. So that means I have $500 for a pair of bookshelves.

Any recommendations. I'm totally open here. But keep in mind, the amp will only be pushing 50W max.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

• hhcan
        • Mar 2005

For less than $500, you can get a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM 170. You won't regret.

Comment

• theodd
          • Sep 2005

Wow, thanks very much for the tip. I just spent the last two hours reading about these speakers. It seems that everyone loves them and they are right in my budget. Could anyone compare these to B&W 602 S3's? I have actually heard those speakers and was pretty impressed.

Any other bookshelves I should be considering?

Comment

• Wayne E
            • May 2004

I've read of a user who has a pair of Ascends running with a Panasonic XR55 receiver with digital amplification. You could probably get the Ascend 340s plus the Panasonic and still be under $1,000.

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

The Mackies are great speakers, not to sure I would be switching...some other companies that make great book shelf speakers are, Phase Tech, Jamo, and Dynaudio.

Good luck
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• theodd
                • Sep 2005

Yeah, I do love those Mackies, but I'm trying to distance myself from making music for a while. I don't want anything in my apartment that even remotely resembles a studio. I've been recording for the last 10 years and our band recently broke up. I'm trying to start over as a mucic lover and then maybe become a musician again. I need to get back to the basics and just study music.

I'm sure that doesn't make any sense, but thanks very much for the post. I'm on my way to those companies sites now.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Sounds like you've figured out your gear :T As for speakers, check out B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Totem and Vienna Acoustics. Theyre' a few of my favourites
                  Jason

Comment

• hhcan
                    • Mar 2005

I did not listen to the B&W 602 S3. However, I listened to the older B&W model and it couldn't hold a candle to the Ascend. Someone on the Ascend forum compared the 602 model to Ascend and he said the 602 doesn't sound as good. The Ascend is more at the B&W 700 series league. At this level, it's really a personal taste. Some will like B&W more and some will like Ascend more. Ascend is on the neutral site and B&W 700 series are on the warmer site. So for that money and 30 days "at home trial", you can't go wrong!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"