X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Help selecting a Tube CD Player

Hi all,
    I'm Looking for suggestions on a Tube CD player under 2K new or used.

Thanks.
    Greg
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I've been hearing good things about the Jolida, not sure of the MSRP though
    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The Cary 303/300 has been getting some good press too. There's an article on it in the latest issue of Stereophile. I haven't read it yet so I can comment on what it says. Also, here's a thread that's been running on this unit:

303/300

It's unique in that it can be switched between tube output and solid-state - your choice.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
        The Cary 303/300 has been getting some good press too. There's an article on it in the latest issue of Stereophile. I haven't read it yet so I can comment on what it says. Also, here's a thread that's been running on this unit:

303/300

It's unique in that it can be switched between tube output and solid-state - your choice.
        I know David, but it's 4K, 2k is my limit at this time. I read the review in the latest Stereophile.
        Greg

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

ops: Well, that'll teach me not to read the entire line.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• NMyTree
            • May 2004

Here's a few you could try to audition:

Vincent S6 or the S6mkII (The only difference is Balanced outs on the mkII) :

Eastern Electric Minimax CD Players (which will soon be available in Black):

Jolida JD-100A:

Black Ice Audio Fusion Integrated Tube Amplifiers are in our opinion the finest tube amplifiers available today. The Odyssey Circuit is designed by Jim Fosgate has zero feedback noise, and maximizes tube life. Our Fusion tube amps have all the advantages of tubes and the bass of solid state, our tec

I own the Minimax CD Player and my Vincent S6 just came in to me dealer, also. I should have it early next week. I love the Minimax! Great little player! The Vincent I've heard in other systems, but I haven't the experience of living with it in my system, yet. But it's a wonderful player.
            Tony

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

The Jolida can be had for around the 1K point, (msrp= 1K, can be had for a little cheaper) and is a bargain @ this price point. TNT did a sweet review of it and that is what sold me.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

I have a Shanling CDT100a that has proven to be a real gem both in sound quality and appearance. Stock, it compares favorably with the Jolida. With the simple change of output tubes the unit goes from just plain great to World Class. It cost me $1550 plus $73 for a matched pair of WE 396s. For about $300 more you can even get one that plays SACDs.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• NMyTree
                  • May 2004

I've only had a very brief listening to the Shanling CDT100. It sounded nice for that brief few minutes. One of these days I'm going to try auditioning it for a few hours.

One thing for sure, aesthetically it's one hell of a neat looking player. If I remember correctly, it has the HDCD decoding chip, right?
                  Tony

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                    I have a Shanling CDT100a that has proven to be a real gem both in sound quality and appearance. Stock, it compares favorably with the Jolida. With the simple change of output tubes the unit goes from just plain great to World Class. It cost me $1550 plus $73 for a matched pair of WE 396s. For about $300 more you can even get one that plays SACDs.
                    The Shanling is on nice looking player indeed DrJRapp.
                    Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

Thank you all very much. I'm working on picking up a Jolida in a week or so
                      I will let you know how I like it.
                      Greg

Comment

• soundhound
                        • Mar 2004

Cool, do keep us posted GregLett

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

The Jolida just arrived. Out of the box it's awesome! This is an instant improvement, no question. My rig finally has some weight, everything
                          sounds rich. I was told give it 100 hours or so to sound it's best well
                          I have 99 more to go, and I love it already.

Thanks to Jim at Next Level. http://www.nextlevelav.com/equipment.asp
                          Great guy communicates well, I felt as if I was his only customer.
                          Greg

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"