X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

HDMI Update: Good News

Add SACD One Bit Audio to HDMI's capabilities.

Both DVD-Audio and SACD are supported, now.

" Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital)

Tony
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

We're getting there!
    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Yep HDMI 1.2. Be careful what you buy. Not all HDMI is the same.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
        Just one more reason I'm holding out for a while yet, even with Bluray/HD-DVD
        Jason

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin

Freeking crazy man. next thing you know it is going to be HDMI 6.5 XP for home users and HDMI 6.5 Server for movie theaters! :rofl:

4306 from Denon 1.1 or 1.2???? just wondering.
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• gostan
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Snap
            Freeking crazy man. next thing you know it is going to be HDMI 6.5 XP for home users and HDMI 6.5 Server for movie theaters! :rofl:

You can be sure that HDMI 1.3 is already in development. Additionally, I believe that I have read something about another connection called "viewport" or something similar, which is available and/or in development. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are each going it on their own right now, and, until they combine to one format (at least one year + away) I don't see why anybody would wait for HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 or whatever.

You can always go component out to a separate hdmi switchbox or the like, so why not, just purchase the best sounding pre-pro or receiver that meets your needs today. I don't get it-my 5.1 analog out and digital out and component out and dvi out all work just fine with great pictures and sound. Yes, I have too many cables, but hdmi 1.2 is not going to reduce the cable jungle by too much.

And will it produce more uniform and better picture and sound amongst all of the many monitors and source devices out there? I, for one, am not sure of that at all.
            Stan

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

AFAIK, there are NO 1.2 devices out there yet. To my knowledge they are backwards but not forwards compatible.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by gostan
                You can always go component out to a separate hdmi switchbox or the like...
                HD-DVD and BluRay will both be down-res'd to 480p over component outputs as far as I know. That's why

I'm sure there are consumer rights folks fighting against that as we speak but fact is, the manufacturers are doing it to appease the idiotic studios. Otherwise, said studios won't release media. Pretty hard for a format to exist, let alone succed without studio support....
                Jason

Comment

• Pieter
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                  ...the manufacturers are doing it to appease the idiotic studios. Otherwise, said studios won't release media.
                  Pick their favourite song:

ABBA - Money, money, money, must be funny...
                  Cabaret - Money makes the world go around, the world go around...

My song would be:

Fiddler on a Roof - If I were a rich man...

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

It's also hard for a format to succeed when it's rendered incompatible with the majority of existing displays that were originally sold as being "HDTV Ready." Especially when it's made incompatible for no reason other than to appease the greedy, idiotic studios.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

It's also hard for a format to succeed when it's rendered incompatible with the majority of existing displays that were originally sold as being "HDTV Ready." Especially when it's made incompatible for no reason other than to appease the greedy, idiotic studios.
                      It's pretty easy when you consider how very few of those sets exist compared to DVI/HDMI capable sets. Last I looked, the # of sets sold this year alone will double or triple the total amount of sets left in the cold.

Comment

• Sim reality
                        • Aug 2005

Isn't right now HD-DVD and BluRay just media formats (like DVD is a media format) and all that is required is DTS or Dolby as audio format anyways?

DVD-Audio and SACD were audio formats so HDMI 1.2 woud now be supports all the currently know audio formats...

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Newer, high-res versions od DD and DTS are coming for HD-DVD/Bluray
                          Jason

Comment

• gostan
                            • May 2003

I still have my Betamax stored away in a closet. Always having been an early adopter, I think that while DVD-HD and Blu-Ray maybe around the corner, I will wait for either a merger of the two or a victor before I jump on the bandwagon of either. It also seems as if the studios are getting cold feet about rushing out with media for either.
                            Stan

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"