X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

Buzzing Amp

I have a buzzing sound coming from my amp it's weird comes in waves about 5 seconds each quiet then buzz back and fourth I allready have an isolater on my cable line. my old amp didn't do this any thoughts??
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What happens when you pull the cable line completely?

Comment

• rich0372
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      What happens when you pull the cable line completely?

It still does it I powered the amp down for a while then turned back the niose is not as loud now but when I turn on my receiver it gets loud for a few seconds then then down to a whisper Rich

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Something cyclical like that makes me think it's some power source you have on the circuit. Try running a heavy-guage extension cord from the amp to a plug in the farthest corner of the house you can reach. That plug should be on a separate circuit. If you need to, try it with several plugs all over the house and see if the hum disappears. If so, then it's somenting on that circuit and you may be able to isolate it.

Generally, cable companies are the culprit for ground-loop hums as they will in many cases put in a second ground and not use the existing "house" ground. But, from your description and as you've disconnected the cable entirely, then that ain't it (as they say here in Texas).

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I've seen things like regrigerator or freezer compressors do strange things like that as they cycle on and off so I'm with David in that its likely something on that power circuit that's doing the humming.

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Do you have your amp plugged into your HTS5100? Try running it straight to the wall and see what happens. Other than that its time to remove all the interconnects from your gear and plug them back in one at a time till it happens. Before you do that I would also suggest you replace any coax interconnects with optical between your components(dvd to receiver, cable/sat to receiver, etc). Worked for me when I had a buzz problem.

Comment

• rich0372
              • Jul 2004

I don't know how but, the amp doesn't buzz anymore it's dead quiet the funny thing is I didn't do anything I was going to play with it today to figure it out. I guess the AMP God stopped by my house while I was at work Rich

Comment

• Stoney
                • Dec 2004

It may be some other appliance in your house inducing a noise on your AC lines. I had a vaporizer that was in a different room that would induce a hum in my sub amps even when they were in standby mode. If your hum comes back, happy searching.
                Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                DM602 S2 Surrounds
                DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                CC6 S2 Center.
                ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• mitch57
                  • Nov 2004

I went through a very similar situation. I even bought a new amp from a different manufacturer and had the same problem. Read my post.

If it comes back I have a solution for you. It took me months to find one and it's not cheap but it solved the problem.
                  Mitch
                  :stupidpc:

Comment

• brucek
                    HTG Expert
                    • Aug 2000

I have a buzzing sound coming from my amp it's weird comes in waves about 5 seconds each quiet then buzz back and fourth......................

I don't know how but, the amp doesn't buzz anymore
                    I suspect your joy will be short lived...

What you're experiencing is undoubtedly due to DC bias in the hot to neutral AC line. Toroidal transformers are notorious for this problem (low impedance and small cores) and are usually spec'd to tolerate a certain amount of DC flux offset on the line. Some amplifiers are more susceptible to this annoyance than others.

I have an HK5800 amplifier that I use in my office that has always suffered from this problem (although I've masked it). The buzz/humm noise would come and go at various times during the day. Quite annoying.

There are a couple of ways to block the DC from reaching your amplifier. One is with a DC blocker circuit (a poor solution) or with a balanced power unit. The DC won't pass through the balanced power unit.

I was reading an interesting white paper from Plitron that addresses the DC voltage problem and indicates their transformers are somewhat tolerant of an asymmetrical line. A bit technical, but addresses the DC problem.

In part:

=========================
                    "Designing low noise transformers under adverse line conditions with asymmetrical line (DC components present) follows the same procedure and delivers comparable results. Therefore Plitron will specify the DC-voltage which the low noise transformer can handle without getting noisy, according to the required performance level.

An alternative approach to handle asymmetrical line used by some manufacturers is called a DC-blocker. This is a circuit comprised of diodes, capacitors and resistors, and placed externally to the transformer in the primary circuit. This DC-blocker has implications in the total safety agency approvals of the product, since it is used in the primary circuit. The effectiveness of the DC-blocker approach is questionable, and it may have limited ability to work in severe line conditions.

Plitron uses a transformer-based solution requiring no external components to reduce transformer noise under asymmetrical line conditions. Plitron’s approach is to optimize the transformer to perform under the expected line conditions, and provide noise performance specifications. A transformer based solution is more elegant and effective, is less costly to implement, and eliminates the need for any external components in the primary circuit with the sonic disadvantages. It may also simplify the necessary safety approvals."
                    =======================

Anyway, if the problem returns, as a test, perhaps you could borrow someone's balanced power unit and see if that solves the problem. I suspect it will.

brucek

Comment

• rich0372
                      • Jul 2004

[QUOTE=brucek]I suspect your joy will be short lived...

So far so good still no buzz 8) Mitch what was your solution to the buzz did you fix it. Also Brucek what is a balanced power unit is it a line conditioner I have a monster power conditioner but I don't have my amp plugged in to it The manufacturer recomeneds plugging it in to the wall Thanks for all the replies Rich

Comment

• rich0372
                        • Jul 2004

IT'S BUZZING AGAIN Brucek you were right I even tried plugging it in to my monster conditioner with no difference I used a cheater plug also with no change
                        Now at idle it has a slight buzz then when I turn my reciever on it gets louder for 5 seconds or so then back to a slight buzz again Rich

Comment

• brucek
                          HTG Expert
                          • Aug 2000

Here's a pretty good explaination of balanced power by Equitech.

Balanced power explained

There are those that have made their own here at HTG (do a search), and they also may be purchased at B-P-T or Equitech.

The large ones are fairly expensive, so it would be a nice idea to borrow one if you could to test its effectiveness on your problem....

brucek

Comment

• eddiem67
                            • Jun 2004

Is this your cinenova?
                            My Car Audio

Comment

• rich0372
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by eddiem67
                              Is this your cinenova?

YES Rich

Comment

• mitch57
                                • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=rich0372]
                                Originally posted by brucek
                                I suspect your joy will be short lived...

So far so good still no buzz 8) Mitch what was your solution to the buzz did you fix it. Also Brucek what is a balanced power unit is it a line conditioner I have a monster power conditioner but I don't have my amp plugged in to it The manufacturer recomeneds plugging it in to the wall Thanks for all the replies Rich
                                This is what worked for me. This thing is utterly amazing. The company told me that if it didn't solve my problem they would take it back and pay the return shipping as well. Needless to say I still have it and it works GREAT!!! :T

I bet this thing will solve your problem. And if it doesn't they will take it back.
                                Mitch

Comment

• eddiem67
                                  • Jun 2004

Definitely call them, they have excellent customer service, mine buzzes when I turn it on but thats it, so I just leave the amp on all the time, it works great.
                                  My Car Audio

Comment

• Aldo
                                    • Sep 2005

I had more less the same problem with a krell cx700 I was going crazy about the noise, 2 months later I notice that turning my wife TV off (that is in other room) fix the problem, Some times the line deliver wierd things to amps!

Comment

• dbart
                                      • Jan 2003

Power into your home is connected to everyone else on the street that shares the same utility transformer. Ground loops and noise eminating from your neighbour is not uncommon and does explain it's intermittent character. Yes a balanced power solution should solve the problem.

Comment

• mitch57
                                        • Nov 2004

rich0372,

So did you ever get this problem solved? If so what did you do? If not, what have you tried?
                                        Mitch

Comment

• rich0372
                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by mitch57
                                          rich0372,

So did you ever get this problem solved? If so what did you do? If not, what have you tried?
                                          mitch57 No I didn't fix the buzzing I find if I leave the amp 24/7 it buzzes much less I also have it plugged in to my monster power center but, I don't think that made a difference I think this is a problem a lot of people have with this amp I've read posts from other forums stating they leave them on 24/7
                                          The buzzing comes from inside the amp even if I disconnect everything it still does it so I just leave it on all the time It's to bad cause this amp really does sound good Rich

Comment

• mitch57
                                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by rich0372
                                            mitch57 No I didn't fix the buzzing I find if I leave the amp 24/7 it buzzes much less I also have it plugged in to my monster power center but, I don't think that made a difference I think this is a problem a lot of people have with this amp I've read posts from other forums stating they leave them on 24/7
                                            The buzzing comes from inside the amp even if I disconnect everything it still does it so I just leave it on all the time It's to bad cause this amp really does sound good Rich
                                            I would still recommend you try the PS Audio UPC 200HB. Afterall, you have nothing to loose. If it doesn't work return it. If it does work and you don't feel it's worth the money... Return it. They even pay the return shipping. It works great for me! I wouldn't give it up for anything.
                                            Mitch

Comment

• eddiem67
                                              • Jun 2004

Earthquake does not recommend running there amps through a conditioner of any sort. I spoke with one of the design engineers, he said a dedicated 20 amp line will work best.
                                              My Car Audio

Comment

• mitch57
                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by eddiem67
                                                Earthquake does not recommend running there amps through a conditioner of any sort. I spoke with one of the design engineers, he said a dedicated 20 amp line will work best.
                                                I think you will get the same answer from every amp manufacturer. But the bottom line is that as long as the conditioner is not current limiting I don't see that there is any problem. I'm sure there are others that will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
                                                Mitch

Comment

• rich0372
                                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by mitch57
                                                  I think you will get the same answer from every amp manufacturer. But the bottom line is that as long as the conditioner is not current limiting I don't see that there is any problem. I'm sure there are others that will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
                                                  mitch I agree with you after I plugged my amp in to my conditioner even at very loud levels the amp draw was only 4.5 to 5.0 amps Rich

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"