X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herbonbay
    • Jan 2005

Do you leave your Amp on ?

A question for everyone. Do you leave your amp on? If so, whats your reasoning? Generally , once I turn mine on, I leave it on all day, assuming that start up and shut down creates more stress than sitting on and idle. I also like the fact that it's always warm and ready. I often wonder if I should simply never turn it off? What's the consensus?
    Herb
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Well, I have an Adcom 5802 2 ch amp which I tend to turn off every night, and then turn back on typically when I come from work to either A) listen to music or B) watch a movie.

The heat dissipated from this unit is quite substantial, as it is far from being efficient.

I have other amps in other rooms which I leave on 24/7 or turn off if I away for any extended period of time.

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

I leave it on all day, assuming that start up and shut down creates more stress than sitting on and idle. I also like the fact that it's always warm and ready.
      This is what I do and why. My Carver TFM15 is left on 24/7. My computer is left on too.

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I turn my Krell off but leave my CineNova Grande 5 on 24X7. The Krell, if left on, could heat my house!
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I leave my cinnenova grande5 on 24x7 as well.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Kens1
            • Mar 2005

I leave my Rotel 1080 on 24/7 as well.

Comment

• RACER4551
              • Apr 2004

I turn mine off each night after use since it is all tied in with my remote on off setup.But i have always wondered if i left it on would it be more at risk for damage with say a lighning strike,than having it turned off?I do run everything through a power center if that matters.

Comment

• Armbender
                • Jul 2005

I have to leave my Bryston 4B and Powerpack 300 on because I dont think ill be able to turn them on again
                Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Leave my 1075 on, mostly because I haven't got the trigger wire yet.... ops:

Other than that, from what I've read there's no technical reason to leave them off. Try doing a search for the topic as there's been numerous threads regarding this in the past
                  Jason

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

My amp is on about 6 hours a day. When I close it, I close the doors of the cabinet at the same time to reduce thermal shock (it cools down slowly). I know that it sounds better after an hour or so, but I don't want to leave it on all day because it has a few light bulbs in it (the famous McIntosh meters). Anyway I open it when I come back from work and I don't do any serious music listening before an hour or two after that.

Comment

• raider
                      • Dec 2004

I don't leave my amp on unless i'm using it as it uses 350watts of imput power at idle!!!. :E my electric bill is high enough :M
                      However i turn it on and let it warm up before i critically listen to it. :T
                      It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• ht_addict
                        • Dec 2002

I'm no tree hugger, but do you guys/gals have any idea how many pounds of coal is burnt per day for you to run/leave your stereo on all day? If not take a look at the following page to get an ideaCoal kwh . Have a million people do the same thing and thats a ton of CO2, NO, etc being pumped into the air. Personally I turn mine off when not in use

Comment

• jim777
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ht_addict
                          I'm no tree hugger, but do you guys/gals have any idea how many pounds of coal is burnt per day for you to run/leave your stereo on all day?
                          No coal here, only using gravity (hydro electricity) :T

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

I run 2 amps and both are warm when switched on but not in use (indicating that they are drawing a reasonable amount of power), so I switch off to save electricity.

Comment

• xk8boy
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Herbonbay
                              A question for everyone. Do you leave your amp on? If so, whats your reasoning? Generally , once I turn mine on, I leave it on all day, assuming that start up and shut down creates more stress than sitting on and idle. I also like the fact that it's always warm and ready. I often wonder if I should simply never turn it off? What's the consensus?
                              I leave my pre/pro amps on 24/7. Reaons? 1) I'm a believer that warm amps sounds better than a cold one. which is also why i play music in the background for 10-15 minutes before I start to actually listen to them. 2) There isnt' a powerswitch or its unreachable behind the amp.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jim777
                                No coal here, only using gravity (hydro electricity) :T
                                Ditto :B
                                Jason

Comment

• Legairre
                                  • Jan 2002

I used to leave my Rotel RMB-1095(200x5) and RB-1050(70x2) amps on for the same reason as most of you stated. Then I saw the power consumption rating for the amps "standby vs. ON".

Rotel RMB-1095
                                  2.9 watts standby
                                  190 watts on

Rotel RB-1050
                                  3.2 watts standby
                                  30 watts on

Leaving mine on is like burning a 220 watt bulb 24/7. combine that with the rest of my gear and it would be like burning a 500-600 watt bulb 24/7. So I leave all my gear in standby when not in use and just power things up about 20 mins before I plan on using them.

For you guys with Rotel gear here's the chart with the standby vs. on usage
                                  Rotel support is where you will find information about warranty registration, service, software downloads, owner’s manuals and product archives.
                                  "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                                  Radden Home Theater

Comment

• whoaru99
                                    • Jul 2004

The Yamaha amps in my HT are, for the most part, turned on when I use them and turned off before I hit the sack for the night.

The Levinson in my bedroom 2-ch setup is usually, but not always, left on 24/7. Although, I must say, it is off right now and has not been on for a few days.
                                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"