X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Divergence of the convergence

It seems like lately, many folks here and at other forums are exploring using 2 ch gear in conjunction with their HT setups. I thought I was one of the few that would bother with this but I see this topic come up more and more. While I am satisfied with my RSX-1055 for movies and it does do a reasonably good job for 2 ch music (Redbbook CD, DVD-A and SACD thru the multi-inputs) I am looking to improve good 'ol 2 ch performance through the use of a 2ch pre and amp.

Sure, while some of the top dollar pre/pro's do nicely with 2 ch, I feel I can do this for less money with some second hand high quality 2 ch gear. This also gives me the option of having two separate systems in the future. Yes, it is a little more complicated this way but worth it to me for the potential gains. It seems with all the talk lately of the convergence in consumer electronics, more and more people are taking the opposite approach. If only the budget was unlimited, we could have those mega buck systems that fill both roles.

I'd be intereseted in hearing from those of you that have pursued this approach combining 2 ch and HT gear....components used, improvements achieved, problems, etc.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is likely better suited to the audio area then Club Rotel

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      This is likely better suited to the audio area then Club Rotel
      Andrew,

I can understand your logic. I was just hoping to get more feedback from Rotel users as that is what I am presently using and figured other Rotel HT users might give me a better basis for comparison. On the other hand, the Audio Hideout may indeed be frequented by more folks with an interest in 2ch. As long as my original post is still at Club Rotel, I guess it's all good.

Comment

• David G
        • Jan 2005

I think what you suggest is the best way forward.
        I've never heard a HT amp that came even close to any reasonable 2-channel amp. My A$5000 Marantz SR18 does not sound as good as a $500 NAD as far as 2-channel goes.
        Currently my 2ch system consists of a Sony XA5ES CD player feeding a Primare A30.1 integrated amp and driving my main "Delta" speakers (see www.gattiweb.com). This is a no-compromise 2-ch setup .
        For movies, my Marantz DV4300 DVD player digitally feeds my Marantz SR-18 AV receiver. The main speaker outputs of my AV receiver are unused. Instead the AV front pre-outs go into my 2-channel integrated that drives my main speakers (the integrated's volume is set to a designated level). The AV receiver is just used for the surrounds, sub & centre. This setup is a little more complex but gives you the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"