X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ktaillon
    • Jun 2004

Using Super Audio for Two channels

I recently posted questions about using a Super Audio player for two channel listening. Since then I puchased a universal player which can also play DVD Audio.

I picked a few SA-cd's to try out. It seems that the only time I can hear a difference is when I play the music very loud. It seems to be clearer and less distortion when playing loud.

I have tried using the left/right audio outputs and also the left/right multi channel outputs, there doesn't seem to be a difference when using two channel.

I was hoping to hear some feed back from other people doing the same thing.

Someday when I finish the home theater in the basement I will be able to try the multi-channel sound.
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

I will assume you are comparing the CD layer to the stereo DSD layer on hybrid SACD.

The outputs on many players are identical between stereo L/R and multichannel L/R, both are playing the L/R of either CD or stereo DSD or mch DSD.

Many people claim there is a big difference in the stereo DSD to the CD, referring to spatiousness of music, less compression, and more accurate instumental timbre. However, many like you don't agree, or argue the difference is small, or that the CD layer is better with similar priced or high-end CD players.

The future of SACD is with the multichannel content, there is an undeniable advantage with a well configured mch system. But listen very closely to the stereo DSD layer as well, you should hear some advantages over CD from the same player.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

As an earlier adopter of SACD (before multi-channel) my experience is that the quality of the SACD playback is directly related to the quality of the machine.

I'm using a Sony SCD-777ES and it's two SACD channel playback is significantly better than it's Red Book playback at any volume level.

The low cost SACD players I've heard have failed to impress me.

Also one must be aware than several of the 'universal' players convert the DSD stream to PCM. So from a playback standpoint there is virtually no difference between the SACD and Red Book on that type of player.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"