X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

CD Player requires breakin?

Or am I just imagining things (quite possible).

Last week I got an Arcam CD73T after comparing it with the Arcam CD192/Linn Genki/Naim CD5x, and found the entry-level arcam to be the best value by a long-shot. All the other players were similarly priced ($1700-1900), and the Arcam gave 99% of their performance on some CDs, and 100% on other onces atleast to my untrained ears. Best of all the Arcam 73T was upgradeable to a full CD192, incase I wanted to go that route later.

However, after bringing it home and hooking it up to my system, I found out that my Denon 2910 universal disk player was sounding the same on redbook cd playback. I felf like a jackass for spending money for the same performance, and felt that my ears just can't tell the differnce so I am wasting money on high-end gear that I can't decern.

However after about 10hrs of playing, the Arcam just came to life and there is a night and day difference! The highs are watery smooth and the bass is deeper and tighter.

Anyways sorry for the long ramble, but I had never heard that CD players require a breakin period, but it has to be true, or am actually becoming a more decerning listener? Or is the the cable? Even though I didn't hookup my new Kimber Hero WBT-NextGens yet, still using the old Kimber Tonik just to see if the actual player made a difference.
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

When I first purchased my Rotel RCD-1072, it did not sound as good as I expected: was sounding harsh, kind of scratchy, and I would feel tired after 20 min. of listening. Everything changed after 4-5 days, after playing it for a few hours a day. It sounds great eversince! I don't know if it was my ears or the CDP that "broke in" but I definitely experienced a "break in".

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"