X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

MF X-10 V3 Tube Buffer good with Rotel?

Hi guys, it's that time of the financial cycle again. A little spare cash... the upgrade bug beginning to bight. My core system includes an RCD-1072, an RC-1070, an RB-1080 and a pair of JM Lab Cobalt 826S speakers.

I have been reading some good press about Musical Fidelity's new X-series products, and am wondering what peoples' experiences have been when combining the X-10 V3 tube buffer (and the X-DAC - a little further down the track) to reasonably new Rotel gear. I love the clean and detailed sound that I am currently achieving, but (without spending up big) would like to get a little bit of extra warmth without sacrificing detail.

I have the feeling that these two components may just do the trick. So, please talk about your experiences with these, and indeed other, X-series components from MF. Particularly in reference to Rotel gear.

Cheers, Ben.
  • pembroke
    • Jun 2005

Ben,

I added the tube buffer to a 1095, Brysyon 4BSST and Anthem Statement P5 (my upgrade path). In all cases it made a significant improvement. More musical and broader soundstage. Recently I added the power supply, it gave the sound more attack, but if I had the choice the tube buffer alone has the biggest impact. For the price its probably the best single improvement you can make to improve 2 channel sound.

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Taito
      Hi guys, it's that time of the financial cycle again. A little spare cash... the upgrade bug beginning to bight. My core system includes an RCD-1072, an RC-1070, an RB-1080 and a pair of JM Lab Cobalt 826S speakers.

I have been reading some good press about Musical Fidelity's new X-series products, and am wondering what peoples' experiences have been when combining the X-10 V3 tube buffer (and the X-DAC - a little further down the track) to reasonably new Rotel gear. I love the clean and detailed sound that I am currently achieving, but (without spending up big) would like to get a little bit of extra warmth without sacrificing detail.

I have the feeling that these two components may just do the trick. So, please talk about your experiences with these, and indeed other, X-series components from MF. Particularly in reference to Rotel gear.

Cheers, Ben.
      Taito

I have been using the MF units for a few months now, as well as the Benchmark. Currently I don’t have a going setup due to selling my amps and waiting for the replacements to arrive.

My setup consisted of Rotel RSP-1098, RCD-1072, plus 1080 & 1095 amps, I find the external DAC’s are great and the X10 V3 unit is fantastic IMO.

There are quite a few threads on these units on this forum, plus here is mini review on another forum if you are interested.
      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

Taito,
        You have the same setup i have, except speakers (mine is Totem Forrest). X-10V3 is a great add-on , IMO. The best way is to listen to it to see if you like the sound or not. To me , it's transparent, smooth, and the soundstage is huge.

Comment

• Taito
          • Sep 2004

Thanks guys, sounds like a trip to my dealer is in order. Although they don't have any currently in stock, going by past performance, they should get one in for me to trial at home.

Spearmint, is your avatar 'Dog' from Footrot Flats? Nice one! I understand that you bought the X-DAC as well. Do you prefer it (with the X-10) over the benchmark (with or without the X-10)?

Comment

• Spearmint
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Taito
            Thanks guys, sounds like a trip to my dealer is in order. Although they don't have any currently in stock, going by past performance, they should get one in for me to trial at home.

Spearmint, is your avatar 'Dog' from Footrot Flats? Nice one! I understand that you bought the X-DAC as well. Do you prefer it (with the X-10) over the benchmark (with or without the X-10)?

Hi Taito

Yes you are correct it is the dog from Footrot Flats. :T

Yes I did buy the power supply & Dac to add to the X-10, and must say it is a very good combination, although I do prefer the Benchmark due to its IMO cleaner sound with my gear. I am currently trying out an Elektra Dac and must admit it is a couple of steps above the MF XV3 gear, very detailed, has more depth and height than the MF and is on a par if not slightly ahead of the Benchmark.

Whatever you decide on the X-10 will give you a nice bit of finesse to your 2ch sound whereas a Dac will give it a big improvement.
            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"