X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WCS
    • Aug 2005

My 1st HT Room need some advice

Hello,

I came across this website lastnight and its great to see others here that are into setiing up HT rooms, some of the rooms are just WOW!!!. My HT room is 20Lx8Hx10W Its small but its what I have to work with. It has 3 windows in it and 2 metal closet doors that may cause some sound issues. I would like to add something to the walls to help deadin the sound abit, any suggestions. The main reason being is that when I turn some Led Zepplin etc on, the highs are piercing my ears. And when I clap my hands in the room it echos bigtime. All my levels are set to 0. I plan on running a 7.1 set up but love listening to music in stereo. This problem does not seem to be present when watching movies. I plan on moving the setup on the other wall due to the theater seating would fit better. Please have a look at my pics and any suggestions would be much apperciated. I was thinking of putting eggcreate material on both the front and rear walls. Any input on that idea?

Philps 55in LCOS
    Sony 3000ES Receiver
    Athena F2 fronts
    Athena C-1 Center
    Athena R-1 Bi-poles 4 for the rear
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WCS; 15 August 2005, 04:00 Monday.
  • WCS
    • Aug 2005

Any chance I can get a little action around here?

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Bill, the home PC is in for servicing and I'm pressed for time this AM. Give me a few hours and I'll have something for ya. :yesnod:

Later. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• WCS
        • Aug 2005

Sounds good David, thank you. Anyone else with any input?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Looks like the wall the TV is on now is your best bet given the windows at the PC side of the room unless you wouldn't mind covering those windows up with something that would block the light better. As for sound there's a number of things you can do to help cut down the reverb but generally most incl adding something that will absorb the sound. I can't tell from the photo's but what's on the floor? You can add insulation to the side walls upto about ear height when seated that will significantly reduce the slap echo and I can provide more detail on that if that's of interest. Even adding in things like bookcases and plants can help diffuse the sound (vs absorbing)

Comment

• DelRay
            • Jun 2004

Looks like the closet doors might be a problem. You can try some covering for them. I had a similar issue with the "echo" effect. Made some absorptive panels. Cleared it right up. Were you planning to put your setup on the wall thats 20 feet long. Between the windows?

Comment

• WCS
              • Aug 2005

Andrew, I have carpeting on the floor and I plan on hanging big thick curtains over all the windows. I would like to hear more about adding something to the walls to help with the slap echo. The problem with keeping everthing on the wall its on now is that the 3 theater seating I plan on getting will end up right in a doorway. The tv needs to go on one of the 10ft walls. I also plan on replacing the metal closet doors, with wood ones, Iam thining that will help a bit. I need to take another pic because I left out the 2 doors that come into the room. Do you think adding soundproofing foam to the front and rear wall will benfit the room? I have included more pics to show the room better.
              Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Here's where I'd start:

Use the "mirror along the wall" trick and take note of where you see the first refelection of your speakers on the walls while sitting in the main seat or "sweet spot". Do the same with the ceiling and floor (if hard wood / tile etc. You have carpet, so the floor should be ok) Note, this may take a couple people, especially for the ceiling Now at the points you saw the reflections add some sort of absorbtive material, (wall hangings, panels etc).

At the back of the room add a large diffuse area, be it a bookshelf, or purpose built panels etc.

That should take care of the room pretty well. If you find you need a little more, add some absorbtive panels on the front wall directly behind your main speakers. You can experiment very cheaply just using blankets/curtains etc without having to buy anything. Just be careful that you don't add too much absobtive/diffuse material or you'll end up with a "dead" sounding room.

Good luck :T
                Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Okay, it was more than a few hours. Sorry, busy busy week at work. :blink:

Most of the major points for "fixing" your room have been covered by Andrew and Jason.

1. Replacing the metal doors will help.
                  2. Covering the window with drapes or curtains will help.
                  3. Depending on your styling tastes large plants can help in taming a room's sound.
                  4. Using the mirror to find your first-reflection points and putting absorption panels there will help a ton.
                  5. Putting panels directly behind the speakers will help.
                  6. Putting panels directly behind the seating position may help also, but it will take a bit of testing to confirm that.
                  7. Carpeting is on the floor is good.
                  8. One thing (just as a comment) you are dealing with is a less-than-optimal set of room dimensions. Having the length a multiple of width gives more opportunities for standing waves and null areas. All of the above will help in minimizing this though.
                  9. Be careful if you are adding framed pictures as the glass surface can easily become a new reflective area.

Comment

• WCS
                    • Aug 2005

Thank you Mr. Meek your post has been most hopeful

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Mr. Meek???? That makes me think my dad is around here somewhere.

I am glad I could help a bit, regardless.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Oh, another thought:

On the "piercing highs", you can try changing the toe-in of your mains. Basically, that means to rotate them just a bit. If they are pointing straight at your listening position then adjust them so that they are pointing straight down the axis of the room. See if that helps any - especially after you've "tamed" the room a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"