Can someone please explain the different Krell lines?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Can someone please explain the different Krell lines?

Hi, I dont understand the differences between the KAV Class A or Evolution line of products. Can Krell expert please enlighten me?
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Great timing tboooe, I have seen a slue of them for around the 2k mark and thought, hmmm, are these way out of date, completely obsolete, or just a damn good buy........

Comment

• krellfan
      • Jul 2005

There are three catagory of Krell amps:

Evolution - newest reference Class A line - monoblocks with seperate power supplies costing around $40K for the pair.

Full Power Balance series (FPB xxx Mcx) Class A stereo and monoblocks ranging from 300W to 750W. xxx = wattage. Price is around $7000 to $28000.

KAV/Showcase is a class A/B amp avaialbe in 2 to 7 channels and priced around $2500 to 8000.

I am not sure how the Evolution series compares to the FPB Class A series since they are both Class A.

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

Sorry to hijack the thread .. 'cause i'm thinking of upgrading to Krell from Rotel.

Krellfan,
        What do you think of Krell integrated amp (400xi or even 300 series) compared to Rotel separate for 2 channel audio?

thanks.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI tboooe,
          Just to clarify, Class A is a catagory of amplifier topology and is not limited to Krell. There are are also Class B, Class A/B, Class C and Class D. There are probably others I am not familiar with. Others, like cascode, does not have a class designation.

Each amplifier class uses the amplifying devices (tubes, bi polar transistors, FET's) differently to achieve certain design goals. Too much to go into here. Suffice it to say that each class biases the amplifying device differently. Class A is considered by many to give the purest sound but has many down sides. They run very hot, and are usually limited in power. They are usually very expensive.

Sparky

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

I replaced my RB-1080 with a KAV400xi in June. The 400xi easilly betters the 1080 in all aspects of sound quality and performance(as well it should). I run it in "thr" mode for HT and I run my SACD player directly into the 400xi for SACD/CD listening. Sounds awesome in my rig. :T I love the Krell gear.
            Attached Files

Comment

• audiofan
              • May 2004

Claude DD, Does Krell 400xi run hot? I heard someone said that Krell is hot ,but i can't verify it.

Does someone have any experience with Plinius 9200? How does KAV 400Xi compare to Plinius 9200?
              thanks.

Comment

• Claude D D
                • Jan 2003

The Krell like any amp that is biased heavy to class A, it gets very warm. But it is designed with that in mind and if you have room for it to breath it's not an issue. :T It does run warmer than the Rotel RB-1080.

Comment

• kurtholz
                  • Feb 2005

i am using a Krell kav3250 for my fronts, and a Rotel 1095 for teh rears, i think the rotel runs much hotter, the difference in sound quality is amazing, Krell is in a completely different class, and price range, but i think you are getting what you pay for.

holiday cheers

Kurt

Comment

• Spearmint
                    • Sep 2004

Sorry if a bit off topic,

But I am looking for a 2ch pre amp and I am amazed at some of the units available of how wide they are hence a few I had my eye on will not fit into my rack.

One of the units that will is the Krell KAV-280p

Does anyone here own or have had any exposure to these pre-amps?

At this stage getting an audition is not going to be easy for me, so I am looking for feedback both positive & negative.
                    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Spearmint (interesting handle),
                      I have a KAV280P mated to a KAV2250 for my front L & R speakers. I can say this is an excellent preamp. It is expensive but worth the money. I guess you know Krell makes some of the most expensive gear available. The KAV series is their economy line!! That's kind of like saying Ferrari makes a commuter hatch back. Ferrari doesn't but Krell does.

I generally do not like solid state preamps or power amplifiers. I'm a tube guy. But, tubes do wear out and using them many hours a day is not cost effective. Thus, having a good secondary solid state system makes sense. This is how I use the Krell's.

That statement, while true, makes an implication that the Krell is somehow inferior. That's not what I want say. This is great equipment that would be fully at home in anyone's main system. It's so good in so many ways that the Krell's are making me rethink my attachment to tubes. You can't loose on the KAV series.

BTW, I have traded in the KAV 2250 stereo power amp and am replacing it with a 3 channel KAV 3250 so I can also drive my center channel with equal quality. That shows you how much I like the Krell's.

To respond to other posts, the KAV2250 output stage is biased into class A/B. The upstream stages are biased into class A. This amp runs warm but certainly not hot. There are no exposed heat sinks. This is surprising for a Krell. You still need to give it some space, though. It is a monster power provider when called upon to do so.

Sparky

Comment

• Spearmint
                        • Sep 2004

Hi Karma

Thanks for the feedback :T

The Krell is definitely on my short list at this point in time, still trying to find a dealer local that has one for me to audition.
                        Richard

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                          • May 2004

Hi,
                          I use a Krell Kav250P mated with a Krell Kav250A with great results. Definatly a forward sound but the control is awesome.
                          Steel

Comment

• krellfan
                            • Jul 2005

Audiofan,

I have not heard the Rotel 1080 so I can't comment on how it compares to the Krell integrated units.

Spearmint,

I think Krell's strength in designing amps. I have listened to Krell preamps a few time and it was not to my taste. I prefer BAT, Pass Labs and Sonic Frontiers preamps but it's a personal preference and system dependent. I use Pass Labs X1 preamp with Krell FPB 350Mcx amps.

Comment

• audiofan
                              • May 2004

Thanks, Krellfan.

I , like Spearmint, can hardly audition Krell gears. That's why i'm also looking for positive and negative on Krell. Right now i'm in the between two options:

1> get Krell pre-amp KAV-280p and mate it with Rotel RB-1080

2> get Krell integrated amp KAV 400Xi

I also look into Plinius 9200 . If someone has heard it , please give me your opion.

thanks a lot.

Comment

• Spearmint
                                • Sep 2004

Thanks Krellfan!

I appreciate your honesty and feedback.

Okay at this stage I am also going to trial The MF A5cr and Primare PRE30, still have had no luck with the Krell demo, may have to wait until the festive break is over and business gets back to some normality.
                                Richard

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                                  Check this out:

It's a review of the KAV 280P and the KAV 2250.

Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"