X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Preamp with built in Crossover??

Hi, I hope this is not a lame question but I am relatively new to this audiophile disease...

I really want to add a sub to my 2 ch only setup. Ideally, I would like crossover the signal going to my mains so that they can focus on mids and highs. The low signal will go to my sub.

As I understand it there are two way to do this:
    1. Send a full range signal from the preamp to the mains and the sub, letting the subs internal cross over handle the signal processing. The disadvantage here is that the mains are still getting the full range signal.
    2. Send the full range signal from the preamp to the sub, letting the sub first do the high and low cross over and send the resultant signal to the amp then to the speaker. I dont like this idea because I am worried that the sub's internal cross over may not be that good and could degrade the sound.

That leads to me question. Is there such as thing as a high end preamp with a built in cross over? Or do I have to purchase a preamp then a separate cross over?

Thanks for your help.
  • xk8boy
    • Jul 2005

you'll find most high-end preamp/processor will do what you're asking for and more.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

If ever I get a McIntosh MVP861, this kind of problem will be solved at the source...

That being said, I dont think that sending the full signal to the amp is a big problem because the impedance seen by the amp at the frequencies filtered by the cross-over will be pretty high. That means that the amp driving the higher frequencies doesn't have to drive as much power and the same for the lower frequencies. And, you will still be getting benefits of biamping, because the EMF of the bass driver won't propagate to the higher-frequency drivers.

So it has to be experimented for each setup if the cross-over before the amps provides a better sound or not...

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Anthem TLP-1 preamp has a built-in crossover. Don't know that I'd call it high-end, but I think it's respectable being somewhat based off the AVM 20. However, I think the x-over is fixed at 80Hz or somewhere there abouts...
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

I have never seen a preamp that has built in crossover, av processors do but, not normal for a preamp.
          You haven't said what sub you have but, if you don't want your mains to get the full signal, all you need is an external crossover. Neither complex to build or expensive to buy.
          You sure your room will sound better using your sub for music? Many of todays subs are great for explosions but, not so great for music.

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

Hi bob, thanks for the input. I currently have the b&W 805 speakers and I feel as if they are missing something on the low end. I am not a bass head or anything. I just want accurate representation of the music.

I figured I will have to buy an external xover or use the one that is included with the subs. I just heard that the xovers with the subs are not that good and can affect the sound quality negatively.

Comment

• NewBuyer
              • Feb 2005

Check out the B&K Reference 5 S2, I think that particular stereo preamp has what you are looking for...

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

...if you want a dedicated 2 channel pre amp, then buying an separate active x over is the way to go. I have one and the flexibility is amazing, you can adjust your cut off frequency by ear quite precisely and freely. Plus you can always adjust the volume very easily.

If not you are looking at multi channel preamps to do the job.

mes 2 small pesos.
                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"