X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

DAC1 and splitters

Will using a high quality splitter degrade the sound quality of what's coming out of my DAC1? I would imagine no... The reason I ask is that I run the optical of my soundcard from my HTPC to my DAC1 and then to my 1068 in Bypass. I have a long run of RCA from the analog out on my soundcard to a bedroom receiver which I aslo run in Bypass. I was thinking, why not go ahead and add a splitter to the DAC1 outputs and have the best signal going to both places. I just want to make sure that I won't be losing any quality. These are the splitters I was planning on using.
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

The long run of RCA cable will add a capacitive load on the DAC1's output circuit. This may affect the audio quality of both receivers. The DAC1 analog output should have a shortest possible cable to your receiver. The best solution may be a 2nd DAC1 if you can find a way to plug the two of them on your soundcard... $$

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

jim777, what impact does the capacitive load from a long run of RCA cable have on the quality of a hi-fi system? What is the definition of long run?

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
        what impact does the capacitive load from a long run of RCA cable have on the quality of a hi-fi system? What is the definition of long run?
        The capacity acts like a high-pass filter, so you might loose some high frequencies. A "long" run depends on the quality of the cable; a specification is often given, like in µF/meter. The acceptable total capacity depends on the output impedance. I might add more details later...

Ok, here are the details. The capacity of the cable I use is 100pF/meter. The output impedance of the DAC1 is 60 ohms. The high input impedance of the pre-amp is 22k. That means that even with 20 meters of this cable (65.6 feet), there would only be only 0.65dB attenuation at *100kHz*. So chances are that with good cable, the problem is less important than I would first have thought.
        Last edited by jim777; 09 August 2005, 11:12 Tuesday. Reason: added details

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

The cable I speak of was originally 2 runs of 16 gauge monster speaker wire for zone 2. I turned the 2 channels into 2 RCA plugs and put a 2nd receiver back there for more control since I have an extra RF remote in the bedroom to control winamp. I'm guessing the are about 75' in length. If you think it will cause an issue then I'll just keep it on the analog out of the sound card. If not, I'd like to switch it to the DAC1. As of now, the signal is perfectly clean with NO hiss. I'd just like to get the benefits of the DAC1 over my sound card if possible.

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

yes, no, maybe?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"