X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

2 ch pre-amp for my B&W 805S system?

What do people recommend for a 2 ch only pre-amp that would compliment my 805S + rotel rb1080 setup? I am very new to this as I am moving from a HT setup and pre/pro. Any particular brands I should look into or avoid? I am just looking for some initial direction as I fully intend to listen/audition the preamps that make the shortlist.

thank you,
  • krellfan
    • Jul 2005

What's your budget and particular must have features? Tube or transistor?

Some good preamps:
    Adcom 750
    Sonic Frontiers Line 1,2, or 3
    Pass Labs X1, X2.5 - I have the X1.

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

Krellfan:

Thanks for the response. i would like to not spend more than $2K. All i really care about is something that sounds great and is a good match for my 805S and rb-1080. I figure preamps are all pretty simple in terms of operation so I dont need any fancy features other than maybe volume mathcing of different components. What features should I look for? Again, I am very new to all of this preamp stuff.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Tboooe,

I have cloned this from Club B&W to this forum where some 2 channel fans will be keen to help as well - doubling your success...

Geoff

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

try rc-1070. This is good unit even though it's not the greatest. Or go with Musical Fidelity Integrated Amp A5 (new release).

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

What features should I look for?
            Although the terms have become blurred, usually a preamp has a phono stage otherwise it is called a linestage. I would suggest that you look at true preamps with phono stages. You never know, in the future it may save you from having to buy a seperate one.

Personally, I beleive in tube preamps and solid state for amps. There is fairly sound theory for this, as well as more bang for your buck. It is less expensive to build a quality preamp with tubes than solid state, and the reverse is true in amps. Doesn't mean that all tube preamps are better than all ss preamps, only that in a given price range you are more likely to get a better preamp if you go with tubes. And, unlike tube amps, the tubes have many years of life and when they do go, are not expensive.

Also, I would advise buying used. A good preamp should have a lifespan of decades so, why not get the most for your money? Rogue Audio makes very good preamps and you could get one well under your maximum price if you buy used. Same with Audio Research.

For solid state I would look at Ayre. It would require buying used to stay in your price range, and would probably only be a linestage.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"