Acoustic Visions Kilimanjaro 15" Subwoofer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hotwheels
    • Jul 2005

Acoustic Visions Kilimanjaro 15" Subwoofer?

I am thrashing around trying to improve my audio for music and HT. I am searching for a musical sub that has enough power for a 17x25x9.5 foot room that opens to a couple of other rooms. At first I was going to try the infinite baffle route, but too many unknowns and time for me right now.

In searching, options such as SVS, Velodyne, Hus, etc... exist and there are also alternatives in the form of kits or "custom" subs from North Creek, VMPS, Parts Express, and Acoustic Visions. The 15" Kilimanjaro ($1500 premade) has a 15" Adire driver and seems like it would be ok. Anyone have experience with this sub?

Other custom/kit options to ad to the list?
    Thanks
    Hotwheels
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If you were pondering an IB why can't you make your own regular sub?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The Kilimanjaro is very similar to the one I built and its a very good subwoofer. I don't know if Kyle is still making it though given the changes in Adires driver line up. I'd suggest you read though this thread and see if that's something that you think you might be able to do. Its very similar to the Kilimanjaro in design and would give you similar performance...which is to say impressive.

Comment

• hotwheels
        • Jul 2005

Thanks for the responses. I could do a kit. The IB idea went out the window when my spouse remided me I have a full workload and there are other projects around the house that are not getting done, so why would I want to start another one that will take time when she wants the subwoofer yesterday. So, buying something already made or that is mostly mechanical put together is high on the list.

Andrew. I did follow the thread you noted. I will have to re-read it, but the Crown Amp was where I started to think it was beyond what I would like to spend and the compromises with plate amps some people described seemed a concern. I can do woodworking and finishing, it is just making sure the design parameters will result in a good sounding sub for my space. Thatf is when the off the shelf solution seemed attractive, but from a custom maker that can offer the best quality for decent value.

Still looking.... I should call and see if the 15" Avalanche are still available.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

There are no more Ave 15" or 18" drivers.

You can build a completed IB in a weekend with a little help. That's less time than it takes to make a box sub.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• hotwheels
            • Jul 2005

I like the IB idea. Maybe I just do not understand enough, but my impression is that once you place the box in your ceiling/Floor (ceiling in my case) well, there is not much flexibility if things do not sound right.

If I buy a sub I can move around or just add another, then there is some flexibility. Again, I still have lots to learn, but if it is a matter of acquiring the right drivers, putting them into an mdf or plywood box and then mounting the box on the ceiling joists, then that I have the time, tools, and skill to do that.

If I get the right drivers -- there must be some other 15s out there somewhere -- and do the work and it sounds to powerful or not powerful enough or too muddy, then I have interesting celing decorations, but not the bass I am looking for. Maybe it is that unknown that is holding me back and pushing me towards a kit/prebuilt.

thanks again for your comments

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You test the proposed location for the IB before cutting any holes. It's not very difficult to do. IB FAQ page

If you give us a floorplan it's pretty simple to know whether or not an IB will work for you.

Next to a tube sub and IB is the easiest sub to build. There's no engineering, no math, no box modeling involved.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"