• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

X overs, the difference with and without

Hi guys

I am playing around with 1st order crossovers on my open baffles. Right now I have a wideband driver that rolls off at 8K's naturally at 6db/octave. I have a Supravox tweeter that cuts in at 5K, that is non directional.

<<the sound>> it can get very forward and extremely dynamic in this configuration

with a first order x over, being a .5 milihenri coil that (couldn't measure it ops: ) probably cuts the driver at around 5K at 6db / octave and then the tweeter kicks in at 5K that has a 5mfd capacitor.

<<the sound>> better coherence and never gets forward, the sound always stays at the level of the speakers. Imaging seems a little more transparent. It seems a little more polite and refined then without though which is where my soft spot is. That is a compromise I can't accept.

So, what are your experiences with and without x overs. Do you guys find they tend to suck the life out of the music, affect the weight of the sound, and lastly do dynamics really suffer ?

Thanks
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • ToddAnisman
    • Apr 2005

Hmmm...Kind of a loaded question....

I have found in my experience of Contructing Mixing theaters that Crosssovers need to also have EQ's to smooth the "Bumps" out. If your room is small, I would say stay far away from a super complex monitooring system, you're never going to be able to get the pieces time aligned corrrectly - it's just too drastic to ask that separates be focused in together within 15 or 20 feet.

let's put it this way...JBL spec's a 2-way system for a theater up to 500 people. Only then do they go to a 3-way. Tuning a 3 way is a cast iron B***h. Tuning a 2 way is no easy task either. I'd say fix your room first, then look into the expense of crossovers.

-Todd A.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"