X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Upgrade To Separate 2-Channel Preamplifier

I am in the process of upgrading the 2 channel side of my Audio/HT system. I have my Rotel RSP-1098 on the sales block in the Pawn Shop and elsewhere. My intention is to obtain a separate stereo preamplifier with a processor loop pass through which will be powered by my Aragon 8008ST. Right now I am leaning toward the VTL TL-2.5 Preamplifier with phono stage built-in. I have listened to this preamp with a bryston 2 channel amp with similar specs to the Aragon and B&W 803 D's and 804S's (I have N803's) through a Linn Iakemi cd player and a Rega P5 turntable and I was seriously blown away by how good 2 channel can sound with a separate preamplifier vs. using a good HT pre-pro, even in bypass. I am sure that the separate cd source v. a universal player, also makes a great improvement.

As HT is not the most important portion of my viewing/listening time and 2 channel has a higher priority, I would probably replace my Rotel 1098 with a mid-priced receiver (maybe the Arcam AVR-300) (Jimmy-you may be hearing from me) and use the internal amps for the center and surrounds with the Aragon running the fronts and simply flip the HT in/out lever on the VTL for HT or 2 channel.

Does anyone utilize this type of combined stereo preamplifier/HT receiver/amplifier combination and, if so, can you comment upon it. Also, is anybody familiar with the VTL tube preamplifiers?

Stan
    Stan
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Hopefully we'll get some comments here - I was searching for info on this same question just now.

Paul

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

If two channel is more important than HT, then you are making a wise move. I don't know your budget but, a used Hovland 100 with built in phono would be my first choice.
      Here is a used VTL 2.5 for sale: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1126390836

Comment

• Phil Rose
        • Aug 2000

I have a 2-channel tubed line stage with HT bypass. Be aware that some (mostly tubed I believe) line stages invert absolute polarity of the signal. This means you will need to make sure that you "flip" the speaker wires on your mains so that phasing is correct for 5/7 channel HT listening.

Other than this minor point, highly recommended upgrade for 2-channel listening.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I have separate preamps, a Sony Pre/pro and an 2 channel Ayre K5-xe.

The Ayre has a pass through (aka bypass). All the multi channel sources are plugged into the Sony. The 2 channels sources are plugged into the Ayre.

The L>R main pre-outs from the Sony, are fed into the Ayre input that has the bypass function. So the Sony controls the volume if there's a multi-channel source. The Ayre volume control functions normally if a 2 channel source is being used.

Note that I don't use the sub out from the pre/pro. A full range signal is sent from the output of the Ayre to a Marchand active XO

Before I bought the Ayre I used a little home brewed switch box that toggled between the main output from the Sony and my old preamp. The output from the switch box fed the Marchand active XO

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gostan
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Bob
            If two channel is more important than HT, then you are making a wise move. I don't know your budget but, a used Hovland 100 with built in phono would be my first choice.
            Here is a used VTL 2.5 for sale: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1126390836
            Bob
            Thanks for your response. I am not familiar with the Hovland 100, but I have been communicating with the seller of the used VTL. The phone preamp on the VTL is set at the factory for the particular mm or mc type cartridge. So, this would probably entail my sending the unit back to VTL to be reset. This is also somewhat limiting for future changes/experimentation with other phono cartridges.

Phil
            What type of tube line stage are you using?

Based upon all of your comments and continuing investigation, this is probably the direction I will head in-especially since I am the only 2 channel user/listener in my house. That makes this change in set-up pretty simple for all other listeners/watchers. Just a shame that there is not one complete HT/preamp/processor which will really do 2 channel complete justice.

Thanks all,
            Stan
            Stan

Comment

• Phil Rose
              • Aug 2000

I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 3SE that has a HT bypass function. This stage does NOT invert the absolute polarity of the signal. My pre-pro is a Sony TA-E9000ES and works quite well for movies. My DVD player is the only source connected to the Sony pre-pro. Everything else goes through the Line 3.

If the VTL deal falls through you should be able to pick up a used Line 1 or Line 2 for a very reasonable price. The Line 1, 2 & 3 all share common operation and the same inputs and outputs.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I hope to hear from you Stan. Another pre-amp worth considering, if your wallet can handle it, is the Krell KAV-280p. I think it'll fit what you are trying to accomplish.

Jim
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• gostan
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                  I hope to hear from you Stan. Another pre-amp worth considering, if your wallet can handle it, is the Krell KAV-280p. I think it'll fit what you are trying to accomplish.

Jim
                  Jim:
                  The Krell certainly is supposed to be a great preamp and it does have the HT passthrough. It would be in the budget (stretch), but I do not believe that it has a phono preamp included, which makes it even more expensive. I will get in touch with you directly to discuss as this changeover/upgrade is still in a state of flux. Thanks again for your kind interest and suggestions.
                  Stan
                  Stan

Comment

• JazzGuyy
                    • Nov 2003

I am using an outboard phone preamp with a Rotel 1098. The preamp is coming through a tape input which is essentiall passive. It sounds very good to me and gives me an effective 2-channel phono setup. This is all the two channel pre-amp I need because phono is the only two-channel analog source I really care about. I feed my cds/multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As to the analog bypass inputs of the Rotel. This uses the decoders (fairly high-end) in the universal player. In both these cases, unless I have misunderstood something, the Rotel is essentially operating only as a volume control and it sounds very good. The Rotel feeds a Bryston 4BST for the front Von Schweikert 4jr speakers. The Rotel is supposed to have a better-than-average analog section. I admit it's probably not in the class of the VTL or Krell but it sounds far better than my old mid-fi two channel system that used a full-function two-channel preamp.

Comment

• gostan
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by JazzGuyy
                      I am using an outboard phone preamp with a Rotel 1098. The preamp is coming through a tape input which is essentiall passive. It sounds very good to me and gives me an effective 2-channel phono setup. This is all the two channel pre-amp I need because phono is the only two-channel analog source I really care about. I feed my cds/multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As to the analog bypass inputs of the Rotel. This uses the decoders (fairly high-end) in the universal player. In both these cases, unless I have misunderstood something, the Rotel is essentially operating only as a volume control and it sounds very good. The Rotel feeds a Bryston 4BST for the front Von Schweikert 4jr speakers. The Rotel is supposed to have a better-than-average analog section. I admit it's probably not in the class of the VTL or Krell but it sounds far better than my old mid-fi two channel system that used a full-function two-channel preamp.
                      There is no doubt that the Rotel 1098 analog section sounds better than most. But, when most of my listening enjoyment derives from 2 channel vinyl and redbook cd's, then a change is warranted.
                      Stan

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"