Do you replace your speaker jumper by speaker wire jumper?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Do you replace your speaker jumper by speaker wire jumper?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone replace the speaker brigde between binding post by speaker jumper, something like http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/bi-wire_jumpers.htm

thanks.
  • hidefdvd
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by audiofan
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone replace the speaker brigde between binding post by speaker jumper, something like http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/bi-wire_jumpers.htm

thanks.
    I made my own with some extra 10AWG wire and banana plugs I had lying around. Easy to do.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

I didn't replace them because 703's comme with heavy gauge metal (not wire).

But why not just skin off some more of your speaker wire, enough to screw the same wire to the two posts. That would even avoid a discontinuity no?

Comment

• maddog
        • Oct 2003

I thought everyone that was in this hobby used speaker-wire jumpers if they were not bi-wiring or bi-amping. Obviously not. If you are looking to tweek or experiment with your system, give it a try like the other posters suggest. But, if you do like the sound better with your home-made jumpers, I would upgrade the jumpers to the same type of speaker wire as you use from your amp to your low-pass posts, if possible. Most speaker-wire manufacturers make jumpers to connect the low-pass to the high-pass posts. I use Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cables. I also have their Oval 12 jumpers. Just be sure to connect the speaker wire from the amp to the low-pass posts instead of the high-pass posts. The reason, of course, is that the high-frequency components of the signal travel faster than the low-fequency components. So having a few inches more of speaker wire for the high-frequency components offsets that a bit.

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

Thanks all for replying. The speaker wire i use is Straightwire Rhapsody. So i don't know if i can get the same type of speaker wire as Straighwire. So, with different brand of jumper (either homemade or commercial) as long as it's 10 gauge, it'll be ok?

I see there are many different jumper manufactures. Some with reasonable price, some very expensive..

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by maddog
            The reason, of course, is that the high-frequency components of the signal travel faster than the low-fequency components. So having a few inches more of speaker wire for the high-frequency components offsets that a bit.
            The speed of sound is about 340 m/s (depends on temp., etc.) and the speed of the signal in the wire is at least 2/3 the speed of light (depends on material), so at least 200,000,000 m/s. Just to say that a few inches won't be changing anything in high/low coherence. Anyway, if it is true that high frequencies travel faster than low frequencies, than it is just natural, so we don't want to compensate for it (it would be the same for the live performance).

Just for fun, a 10cm jumper (about 4 inches) => 0.5 nanosecond travel time => 170 nanometers. I don't think that even B&W have micrometer tolerences for their wood work 8O

BTW, I'm not being rude, this post was just for fun So correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

• hidefdvd
              • Jan 2005

For those who use the plates between the jumpers, take a magnet too it and see what happens. I've heard if magnet sticks, its not good(metal content vs brass??)
              Last edited by hidefdvd; 30 July 2005, 21:33 Saturday.

Comment

• maddog
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by jim777
                The speed of sound is about 340 m/s (depends on temp., etc.) and the speed of the signal in the wire is at least 2/3 the speed of light (depends on material), so at least 200,000,000 m/s. Just to say that a few inches won't be changing anything in high/low coherence. Anyway, if it is true that high frequencies travel faster than low frequencies, than it is just natural, so we don't want to compensate for it (it would be the same for the live performance).

Just for fun, a 10cm jumper (about 4 inches) => 0.5 nanosecond travel time => 170 nanometers. I don't think that even B&W have micrometer tolerences for their wood work 8O

BTW, I'm not being rude, this post was just for fun So correct me if I'm wrong!
                Well then connect them to the high-pass posts if you want. I was just trying to find a reason for deciding which set of posts to connect the speaker wires from the amp to. I mean you do you have to make a choice. Also, the explanation that I gave has been given by others. I mean it's not my original theory or anything. BTW, just for the record, I have tried connecting the speaker wires to high-pass posts and I do prefer the sound when they are connected to the low-pass posts.

- maddog

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by maddog
                  Well then connect them to the high-pass posts if you want. [...] I do prefer the sound when they are connected to the low-pass posts.
                  I'm not saying that it does not make a difference. I would even say that you did better than me because at least you tried the two ways. But if there is a difference, it may still be explained. If you consider that the low frequencies need much more current than the high frequencies, and that each connection will introduce a small resistance, you are effectivly better off connecting the low frequencies post first. Even my idea of skining the speaker wire long enough to connect to the two posts isn't perfect because the first post "breaks" the internal structure of the wire at that point, before reaching the 2nd post.

But finding a reason is less important than trying the two ways, and if there is a difference, choose your best

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

For those who use the plates between the jumpers, take amgnet too it and see what happens. I've heard if magnet sticks, its not good(metal content vs brass??)
                    Any idea why that is? (In other words, why is a magnetically responsive conductor not good for the binding post connection?) Is it because steel is a less efficient conductor that copper, or is it because a nearby magnetic field may mess up the signal, or is it something else?

Thanks,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

I read somewhere that in 2-way speaker, most people will connect speaker wire to low post as this is mid/bass and in 3-way speaker, connecting it to upper post.

Anyway, the only way to find out is to try... I happen to know that one of my friends has cobalt jumper. I will borrow it and try on my speaker.

Comment

• hidefdvd
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                        Any idea why that is? (In other words, why is a magnetically responsive conductor not good for the binding post connection?) Is it because steel is a less efficient conductor that copper, or is it because a nearby magnetic field may mess up the signal, or is it something else?

Thanks,

Burke
                        No idea why, just read it somewhere.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                          • Jan 2005

I used IBW (Internally Bi-Wireable) cable to eliminate the jumpers.

Comment

• ht_addict
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by JetFlyGuy
                            I used IBW (Internally Bi-Wireable) cable to eliminate the jumpers.
                            So are you saying you removed the back plate on the speakers and internally wired the jumpers together? WHat advantage does this have.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"