Is silver speaker cable really better than regular one?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Is silver speaker cable really better than regular one?

Hi,
    I have been seeing people talking good about silver speaker wire lately. And the silver one is expensive. So i was wondering if there is big different in sound between two types?

Does silver speakers cable depends on type of speaker too?

thanks very much.
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

I think more would say that silver does Not make a difference in speaker wire. Some would say it does make a difference. I use the 12g from home depot and it works great. It does not depend on your speaker type.
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

There is a difference between "works great" and high-quality cables and connectors. You don't have to believe me, just try it in a true side-by-side test with 2 identical speakers, wired differently. I did and was convinced. And I found silver coated copper brought more clarity than 10-gauge copper. Check out http://www.catcables.com/

Comment

• AndrewM
        • Oct 2000

I think you need to throw the word "better" out, what is better to me may not be better for you. However I think you'll find that most people that have tried silver vs copper will tell you there is at least some difference between them, personal preference is another matter (some like it, some don't).

Andrew

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Well put Andrew, the same can be said of many things in this hobby.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

True. Very true.

Silver I/Cs gave me a more open and detailed presentation in the upper-mids and highs, which mated well with my speakers - Aerial Acoustics 7Bs which have a "smoother" top end than many others. The combination of SilverCats and speakers has a nice synergy in conjunction with the rest of my system.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mattburk
              • Feb 2003

Been debated for a long time.

LINK DELETED BY ADMIN, nothing to do with original topic-
              www.mycstone.com
              www.coverednow.com
              www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by csuzor
                There is a difference between "works great" and high-quality cables and connectors. You don't have to believe me, just try it in a true side-by-side test with 2 identical speakers, wired differently. I did and was convinced. And I found silver coated copper brought more clarity than 10-gauge copper. Check out http://www.catcables.com/
                ...that's really well said. Until you are exposed to "better" you can't imagine what works great is. Personally I think zip cord from Home Depot is just wrong in a stereo. It sounds very grainy and thin and it corroded killing your highs. While I haven't been lucky enough to try Cat cables I am sure they rock!
                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hey welcome back Bam! :later:

Comment

• audiofan
                    • May 2004

I guess i will need to try out both side by side to find out myself ... The speaker i have , Totem Forrest, is well balanced. I think silver plated copper will help a bit more on the top end.
                    thanks.

Comment

• mark4x4
                      • Jul 2004

I was a believer of cables not making any difference, but was I wrong after intensive research. I've demo'd countless speaker cables and interconnects, some make more difference than others, but they all make some difference.

Like the old saying goes "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder", which holds true for audio. What works for one person may not work for another. I believe cables being a piece of the puzzle, it's a way that you can tweek your system to the enth degree.

My statements are being made in very general terms as to what I found in doing my research. If your system leans towards the bright side, I would stay with copper cables but if your system is dark then I would go with solid silver or silver over copper. Silver over copper tends to be harsher in the highs then any other configuration. Bottom line is your system will determine which type of cable to purchase, remembering there is always the exception to the rule, but at least it's a good starting point.

Comment

• bimmer528
                        • Sep 2004

I try to spend on cables that comp's what I have so yes it matters. Im one who to this day still runs a crappy tv and spends all my loot on the audio side so my 1k dvd player can only play as good as my tv which by the way only has s video. So no need on spending much for a good s video cable. Just picked up a Transparent Premium used for houndred bucks. Does the job.

The saying is what? 15% of the total value of your system should be cables? I follow that rule pretty close. Not running Krell or high end stuff so no need to spend thousands on cable but I do strongly believe cables are you weakest link and definitly don't go with cheap stuff but then again no need to spend a fortune.

cat cables have had so many good reviews on here that jeez... makes you trust peeps opinion and some of them experts in the field. Those cables are not to pricey and would be perfect cables for any application. Good place to start bud.

Comment

• xk8boy
                          • Jul 2005

I'm a believer of speaker cable makes a difference but whether the different is better or not, well thats up to personal judgement.

I also believe in a balance system, find the weakest link and better it. I'm not going to spend 1,000 pound on cable on a 2,000 system. I would spend 1,000 if the cost of the system was 10,000 -20,000 pounds.

Comment

• Jeff
                            • Dec 2004

It's always difficult or impossible to recommend something to someone who doesn't believe or hardly believes in what your recommending.

My brother is an electrical engineer. He laughs at my speaker wire and i/c purchases. He'd recites all the reasons why I'm out of my mind.

However, when he listens to the difference, first hand, there is little he can say otherwise.

The best way to sell yourself if a first hand experience.

Jeff

Comment

• soundhound
                              • Mar 2004

I am a doubting thomas, i have filed such thoughts in the "snake oil" folder, allthough I am one who would'nt drive a hummer, or vette, and go to tires plus and put a set of $49 each tires on either. I do believe in symetry. I recently ordered a set of kingcats from doug, should have them shortly, and will test till my hearts content. Even if I don't hear any difference I will be comforted in the fact I have removed what could have been a weak link in my system.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

I believe one should use the type of cable that properly matches their system. I wouldn't bother running low grade cables with a high caliber system nor would I spend several factors more on cables that differ only slightly in character, technically or acoustically.

A quality silver cable and a quality copper cable are both going to sound good. How much better silver is over copper is highly debateable. I will tell you that if I spent much more for a pair of silver cables than I would have for a pair of copper ones, I'm pretty sure I would be convinced that they sounded better.
                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• AndrewM
                                  • Oct 2000

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                  A quality silver cable and a quality copper cable are both going to sound good. How much better silver is over copper is highly debateable. I will tell you that if I spent much more for a pair of silver cables than I would have for a pair of copper ones, I'm pretty sure I would be convinced that they sounded better.
                                  There is no "better" when it comes to something as subjective as audio, you may absolutely love and adore some super-$200k mega system while somebody else will absolutely hate it, and that works at any price point you can find all the way down to single/double digit costing cables. It's sort of like art in that respect, I can look at a multi-million dollar Renior and absolutely hate it and prefer something from some no-name painter that's essentially worthless.

Also, on the "if it costs more you'll convince yourself it's better" line of thinking, I have to disagree there as well, and have replaced/returned higher priced cables on more than one occasion because I didn't prefer or couldn't hear the differences it made in my system (if you polled people who have tried various cables I bet you'd find the vast majority will say the same thing).

Andrew

Comment

• spyboy
                                    • Jun 2005

Slightly off topic, however, some of you (Doug for sure) remember the old test that a couple guys did 4-5 years ago. They took an ordinary wire coat hanger and straightened it out and tested it as a coaxial digital interconnect. As I recall, it transmitted the digital signal perfectly.

I, on the other hand, fully intend to be the first one on my block to get the liquid nitrogen cooled speaker wires shown at the High End show in Hong Kong. I think I might be able to use my BBQ grill propane tank for the liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen will also come in handy if I every want to have my own MRI machine.
                                    Last edited by spyboy; 13 August 2005, 09:09 Saturday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AndrewM
                                      There is no "better" when it comes to something as subjective as audio, you may absolutely love and adore some super-$200k mega system while somebody else will absolutely hate it, and that works at any price point you can find all the way down to single/double digit costing cables. It's sort of like art in that respect, I can look at a multi-million dollar Renior and absolutely hate it and prefer something from some no-name painter that's essentially worthless.
                                      I disagree. The next time you decide to upgrade your system ask yourself this question... "Why did I do it?" I would suspect your answer would be "because it's better". Now if you were to talk about "preferences" then I would agree.

Also, on the "if it costs more you'll convince yourself it's better" line of thinking, I have to disagree there as well, and have replaced/returned higher priced cables on more than one occasion because I didn't prefer or couldn't hear the differences it made in my system.
                                      You may recall I qualified my statement with the following... "A quality silver cable and a quality copper cable are both going to sound good." Additionally, you should review your comments, you actually reitterate my point!

Comment

• mattburk
                                        • Feb 2003

my link was deleted and it did relate to the topic, it talked about the cable war and how one quality cable makes little difference in the sound, if there is a difference then one or both of the cables are inferior as they are coloring the sound. You may get a cable that has a little more forward presentation, but then if you change anything in the system, that cable may become inferior.

I say buy decent cables, but dont go crazy. bluejeans are great and anything the vendors sell here. I would stick with there entry level stuff. If you had a 20k+ system I could see spending more than $30 for a 3ft stereo interconnect, but over $100 and I think imho, your wasting your money. What hifi did a cable review awhile back, you would be surprised how good entry level cables can do.
                                        www.mycstone.com
                                        www.coverednow.com
                                        www.biarenton.com

Comment

• AndrewM
                                          • Oct 2000

I disagree. The next time you decide to upgrade your system ask yourself this question... "Why did I do it?" I would suspect your answer would be "because it's better". Now if you were to talk about "preferences" then I would agree.
                                          Right, but you specifically said the word better;

How much better silver is over copper is highly debateable.

If somebody does not like the sound a silver cable gives their system, then it is not better than something else. Nobody can tell you what is "better" in your system without guessing.

You may recall I qualified my statement with the following... "A quality silver cable and a quality copper cable are both going to sound good." Additionally, you should review your comments, you actually reitterate my point!
                                          Not really, you entered into the "if you paid more your brain will think it's better" arena;

I will tell you that if I spent much more for a pair of silver cables than I would have for a pair of copper ones, I'm pretty sure I would be convinced that they sounded better.

I and many others have found that not to be the case.

I'm going to say something in general about the endless cable debate, but it's going to sound a little snobbish/elitist, it's not intended to be taken that way, and it applies to any piece of equipment you buy for your system (from pre-amp/pro to cd transport to cables), and that is if you spent so much money on a piece of gear that you have to convince yourself it's better without hearing that difference in order to justify the purchase, then you most likely spent more than your "comfort" threshold and you should take a minute and re-evaluate what it is you're trying to do. The only person you are hurting is yourself by fooling yourself.

There is no fixed cost in that, in fact it will be different for all sorts of things, for instance I have no problem spending 2-3 thousand on a good amp or pre-amp/pro, I certainly will not spend 2-3 thousand on a cable.

Andrew

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AndrewM
                                            Right, but you specifically said the word better;

How much better silver is over copper is highly debatable.
                                            If somebody does not like the sound a silver cable gives their system, then it is not better than something else. Nobody can tell you what is "better" in your system without guessing.
                                            Again I disagree. The electrical properties of silver makes it an undisputably better conductor. Whether this translates into better sound is what's debatable.

...you entered into the "if you paid more your brain will think it's better" arena;

I will tell you that if I spent much more for a pair of silver cables than I would have for a pair of copper ones, I'm pretty sure I would be convinced that they sounded better.
                                            I and many others have found that not to be the case.
                                            If you go back and look at my original post I put an emphasis on convinced. To clarify (the hidden message), the point of this topic is "Is silver speaker cable really better than regular one?" My point is that just because a cable is made from silver does not neccessarily make it acoustically better than copper. Unfortunately, silver is more expensive and some people will be lead to believe (or convince themselves) that because it is silver then it must be better, and use this means to justify the end. That is to spend the extra money when perhaps it was unnecessary.

Your comments are in agreement with this. I believe we are stating the same thing from two different points of view.

Comment

• mattburk
                                              • Feb 2003

The problem with silver, from what I understand, is many vendors use a different gauge than what they would with copper. Reducing the wire gauge will cause a quality copper cable to be much more effective than a silver cable. All other factors aside, a 18gauge copper cable is better than a 20 gauge silver cable, based on the ohm resistence rating-I believe that to be correct-please correct me if I am wrong.
                                              www.mycstone.com
                                              www.coverednow.com
                                              www.biarenton.com

Comment

• NeutralMAN
                                                • May 2005

From what I have read with interconnect cables, is that any silver cable should be thinner what a copper one. Not sure what the maths is behind this, but most manufacturers go for a smaller guage cable.

If this is due to cost or this info is relevant to speaker cables, ... well... that's another story altogether.

NeutralMAN

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

It's relevant if the signal is carried on the surface of the cable, and IIRC it is. If that's the case, a single wire will be more restrictive in some respects. Conversely, a braided (multi-strand) cable of the same overall guage with more small strands will have more conductive surface than a cable with fewer larger strands.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice." :blink:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"