X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

Denon SACD vs RCD-1072 or other CDP

Did someone ever try comparing lets say the Denon DVD-2910 or 3910 on SACD with the same album on redbook with a good player like the Rotel RCD-1072?

We often read here that rare are the DVD players that can beat the RCD-1072 (or other good CDP), but is this still the case for albums available in SACD (or even DVD-A)?

I wonder if a DVD-2910 could give me better Norah Jones or Dave Brubeck...
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Not really a fair comparison, but interesting... a better source stream with a lesser analog output stage... but you're forgetting the multi-channel capability, which will outperform CD if you have the setup. And you're comparing a universal player to a dedicated CD unit... and the denon 2x10 series is not the audio quality the 2x00 series was. No doubt you'll get better sacd with dedicated sacd players (like the Sony), and cheaper. Unless your goal is a universal player primarily for DVD...

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

I'm sticking to two-channel audio and a 27" TV for a good while. But, my current LG DVD-player stinks... I can't even listen to a music show on it anymore because it sounds too bad (it didn't help trying a Rotel 1050 at home either...)

So I was thinking of getting a new DVD player; and why not a universal player if it gets me better sound on some albums through SACD or DVD-A. Its a funny comparison, but I'm just trying to get my money's worth

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

fwiw, i listened to the 703 before buying them from a guy with rcd1072 and 1068/1075... sounded very dry, metallic, uninvolving, relative to my denon 2200 and similar gear. Could have been the room, or the source. Once home, they sounded warm, real, and filled the room (on sacd of same album, Sting). CD to me is highly compressed, and lacks breath in the midrange... sacd opens up the soundstage, less cluttered, more detail. But that is a comparison on the lesser CD player that Denon 2200 is.

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

I have the RCD-1072 as well as a Sony SACD/DVD player and several Hybrid SACD's which I have two copies of. I've been wanting to make this comparison now that my 1072 has a few weeks of playing time. Granted this is not Sony's high end SACD player, but Sony SACD players generally hold their own against inexpensive universals. If I get the time I will try to do this this weekend, schedule permitting.

One thing I have found with my 1072 is that it is one of those components that really does need to be warmed up to realize it's potential. When I took the demo unit home I remember the dealer telling me to "leave it on". Well, after purchasing mine, I quickly forgot this advice. At times while doing some A/B comparisons with digital input to my 1055 versus the 1072's DAC's I heard only small differences in sound. At others, the differences were quite apparent. For a while I was stumped and thought maybe my ears were inconsistent or I was lacking focus. After a while, I realized that the 1072 was sounding better after it had been on for 2-3 hours. I was a little skeptical at first, but this did consistently prove to be the case. So if you do demo a 1072, warm it up.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"