Should I get the REL Strata..can't crossover?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Should I get the REL Strata..can't crossover?

Hi, I am thinking about getting a REL Strata sub. One of the reasons (other than the obvious) why I wnat to get a sub is to eleviate the strain on my 805S so they can just concentrate on mids and highs. But as I understand it, the RELS actually take speaker level inputs directly from the amp (the same inputs that are sent to the speakers). So I guess this defeats my goal of potentially crossing over the signal going to my 805s. Another problem I have is that I want to use my receiver in bypass mode which means I dont have a sub output anyway.

Is there anyway around this? How do I add a sub to my 2 channel setup in bypass mode? Is this possible? Because of the unique wiring of the REL, it is not possible to cross over my front speaker signals right?

Any suggestions on how to add a sub to a 2 channel setup?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The RELs should be able to output a signal to the front speakers that's passed though its internal crossover. You'd then simply connect each of the front speakers directly to the REL and set your receiver's subwoofer setup to indicate that you don't have one so that all freq's get directed to the fronts that thus your subwoofer.

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

Andrew, thank you for the response. Do you know for a fact that the RELs have a LR output? I only ask because you say "should have".

So you are recommending that I send both L and R line level outputs to the REL, the REL will cross the signal over, then send this LR signal to my amp, which is connected to my fronts?

Or are you saying send the amplified signal to the REL via the special cable, let the REL do the cross over, then send this amplified LR signal to the front speakers?

I am sorry for not understanding. I was also not aware that the REL had any outputs.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

tboooe, have you checked out REL's website? I was looking at it the other day because a friend has just bought a REL. I noticed that all the owner manuals are available on-line at the Download section of the site at http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

I have an eight year old Strata and REL suggests to connect with the Speakon cable from the main terminals on your amp, and also via the LFE output on the pre/pro. Set the speakers to large so as to get a full range signal for two channel. There are no speaker terminals on the amp to connect your mains to it. Maybe the newer models have it, but I don' believe so.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

So you are recommending that I send both L and R line level outputs to the REL, the REL will cross the signal over, then send this LR signal to my amp, which is connected to my fronts?
            That's exactly what I'm suggesting...but from what Erik said above I'm not sure they have terminals to connect your mains to. Take a look at the manual and see what they have to say

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

Thanks for the reply everyone. BigBurner, thanks for the link. I tried finding the manuals online but could not...guess I was not trying very hard. I will give it a look.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"