What's the best ($2k 2 ch high end audiophile) amp (available in Canada)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parsonsk
    • Nov 2004

What's the best ($2k 2 ch high end audiophile) amp (available in Canada)?

Well first let me qualify what I’m asking.
    What I’m looking for is a 2 channel amp that offers around 200 wpc, extremely high current, considered high end audiophile, available in Canada (not necessarily made in Canada), built like a tank, new not used, not bright in sound and worth under $2000 Canadian.

AND PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND BY SAYING THAT I HAVE TO LISTEN FOR MYSELF, I'M ASKING WHAT YOU THINK, I'D LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY. :x

I'd like it drive a set of B&W 703 or 804's with lots of warmth and power.

If you think you have the answer to this mystery by all means let me know because I can't seem to find anything that will fill *ALL* of these requirements

Rotel - maybe
    Bryston - too much $$$
    nad - not considered high end hifi
    parasound - not really
    krell - too much $$$
    McIntosh - too much $$$
    levinston - too much $$$

I'd love to hear what you have to say
    Last edited by Parsonsk; 20 July 2005, 20:27 Wednesday. Reason: Post heavily caveats the original title -- people should know before they click that it is a very limited discussion
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Rotel < Parasound < Bryston
    Would you consider used?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I just sent you a PM....
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

I think you are making a big mistake not considering used. I kept my Theta Dreadnaught even though I have a pair of ARC VTM-200's. I beleive that you could find a used Dreadnaught for the price you are looking at and it is very musical (not the II, the first Dreadnaught).

Comment

• LEVESQUE
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Parsonsk
          What I’m looking for is a 2 channel amp that offers around 200 wpc, extremely high current, considered high end audiophile, available in Canada (not necessarily made in Canada), built like a tank, new not used, not bright in sound and worth under $2000 Canadian.
          Anthem Statement P2 will be all this and more. If you look around you can find one for that price in Canada...

And btw, after trying it home side-by-side with my Bryston 4BSST, I kept the P2 and sold the Bryston... :T
          To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Don't be too hasty in dropping NAD from your list. The 272 is a fine sounding 2-channel amp, and NAD's history is one of excellent sound for reasonable cost - and that's been validated by each NAD product I've ever listened to.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

Rotel RB-1080 200 wpc! that is what I have and quite happy!

Comment

• xyzsurf
                • Jul 2005

If you would consider used, the Musical Fidelity A5 Power amp might be able to be had for close to that. Its 255w @ 8, 416 @ 4, with almost 200 amps peak current. Gets absolutely stupendous reviews. I haven't heard it (yet), but I'm going to demo it from my dealer in a little while. Although I might just go with the integrated. Most reviewers say it sounds like an amp costing 2-3x as much.

If you have to have new, you might be able to land an A3.5 Power amp (when they come out), for under $2k Canadian. They still put out solid power and I'm sure it will still be an incredible amp for the money.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Find a used Classe 2 channel amp on Audiogon on canuckaudiomart. I believe they use these amps to demo B&W at the shows. Classe is High end audiophile.

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

First, you get what you pay for. Warm high-end sound for under 2k$ new? - maybe you should look at the used market; you can find some stuff as very good looking as new.

And for the "warm" sound, you must give some care to room acoustics, not just the gear and cables (oh, let's not start another long talk on cables..).

In my case, first I thought that McIntosh was to much $$$, but Rotel just didn't do it for me. I finally got the 703's with a MA6500. Ok, this integrated costed more than Rotel seperates, but I got the warm "tube" sound that I was looking for. I don't think that you will find alot of used McIntosh's though... too nice to sell

Comment

• Bob
                      • Jul 2000

There are many pieces of audio equipment that I wouldn't buy used. CD players, turntables (unless I could inspect it), cartridge. But, a solid state amp? The best bang for the buck is to buy used. Whatever you get couldl last your lifetime and the lifetime of the next buyer.
                      I took a quick look at Audiogon and saw Belles, McIntosh, Classe, Jeff Rowland, Bryston, Aragon, just to name a few, all in your price range. No original Dreadnaughts, though. People that own them don't let them go like the Dreadnaught II's. Amps that cost 2-3 times as much as your price range when new.
                      Why would you want to settle for a mid-fi amp when for the same money you can buy some of the best solid state amps made. Don't fall into the trap of thinking newer is better. This is one piece of audio gear that really doesn't fall into that catagory.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                        • Apr 2005

Classe' or Mu-Fi (Musical Fidelity) are your best bet for Hi-End gear.

Comment

• gd
                          • Jan 2003

I'll echo the "buy used" suggestion too... power amp is the one component you can feel good about buying used.

Dunno what the market is like in Canada, but for stunning quality, Canadian-made Simaudio amps are worth a look... however, I don't see many used Sim's in the US, probably because they are too good to get rid of -- not unlike the Dreadnaught... however, Simaudio seems to be launching a new generation of amps... maybe discontinued models can be had at reduced pricing.

Look at the Moon W-5 or W-3: http://www.simaudio.com/moonaudio.htm
                          greg (gd to you)
                          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• KvHagedorn
                            • Jul 2005

You can get a used Aragon 8008BB for (at most) $US1250.00 on Audiogon or eBay. It's well built enough to not worry about the used part, and absolutely kills anything else you might find for anywhere close to the money when it comes to sound quality and brute power. Great Amp for 800 series speakers, since it does a true double down when the load drops to 4 ohms (using mine on N802s and it does pretty darned well even on those power hogs.) This would be the perfect amp for your 703s or 804s. It's a classic.

Comment

• Chuck G
                              • Feb 2003

I'll second Aragon (really, any 8000 series Aragon) but also add B&K.
                              Chuck

Comment

• gostan
                                • May 2003

My Aragon 8008ST (200x2) does a great job for my N803's. $1100.00 new for a left-over which my dealer found during an inventory about a year ago.

My next choice if the price were right would be a used Musical Fidelity amp.
                                Stan

Comment

• Bam!
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2004

I`d have to say , like others Classé also. However the older generations, todays Classé is very different from previous Classé`s .
                                  Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

I'll jump in and say the Rotel RB-1080 too (200 wpc RMS 300+ peak). It drives my 803Ss very well and sounds great. It would be an even better pairing with the 804s and certainly with the 703s and for the price ($999.00 US) it can't be beat.

However, what you are really asking for can't be had for less than $2000 Canadian new. Sorry.
                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"