X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karp
    • Jan 2005

HT door question

From what I have read, it seems that most feel that you should use solid-core doors for entrance to an HT room. I was wondering if a standard door that was filled with blown insulation may be another option - perhaps even superior?
    No matter where you go, there you are! 8)
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Exterior grade door with full sealing :T
    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi 'gain. :agree: Yessir Jason's right. An exterior grade door with full seals is your best bang for the buck.

But, if you want to do something a bit more elegant (and a da*n sight more expensive :roll: ) you can go with solid wood doors with heavy glass panes. I put one and sidelights in the entry to our theater room and it's every bit as sound-proof as a filled exterior door. You can see a picture in the following link - it's the fifth one.

Cinemeek Photos

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• LEVESQUE
        • Oct 2002

Here's what I did, and it's working wonderfully:

And the end result with paint and vernish:

To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Okay Alain, you win the "over-built anal-retentive" award! I like it. ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

No doubt!! :jawdrop: ;x( :T
            Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Nice looking door Alain!
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• BlakeN
                • Jul 2005

Home depot sells an interior solid core door that is made for blocking sound. You can get it with a paintable or stainable finish. They are made by Jeld Wen. Its called a Pro-Core door. I believe the core is some kind of foam. They run about $100 pre-hung. At my HD it's a special order item and takes about 30 days to get. I haven't tested one personaly though so if somone has please speak up.

Btw the double door is impressive. If I wasn't planning on selling my house in 5 years I would be doing that.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

this is a stupid question, but what is a door that comes "pre-hung"? Can't I just buy a solid core door from Home Depot with the right dimensions and size?

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Raymond, a pre-hung door is one that comes already attached to the frame with hinges and a door latch. The frame slides into the opening and is leveled and nailed - instant door!

You can by just the door panel itself, but if you do that there may be issues with the hinges lining up with an existing frame if it is an older one or if the whole entry is a custom made one. Just measure the hinge and latch distances carefully before you proceed.

If you are starting from zero and you are moderately handy at carpentry, you can frame and hang a plain panel from scratch but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

I'm definitly not a handy man, so I think I'll just do the measuring and buy the panel myself and hang it. I think that's the most cost effective and easy way for me. How much should I be looking at for one that's not pre-hung?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"