X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Jolida JD100

Anyone run any Jolida gear? Have been snooping around their cd players and rumor has it they make a dandy. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them, Thanx
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Here's a nice review...

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• mark4x4
      • Jul 2004

I have a Jolida JD100 and find it to be a wonderful cd player. The one thing the reviewer mentions but did not do was to try swapping out tubes. I find that changing tubes makes a huge difference in the sound that you get. The Jolida comes stock with a set of Chinese 12AX7A. I tried some Jan GE 5751 but they were too laid back for me. Next up were the Jan Philips 12AX7WA, much better overall, better bass and mid bass, also a little better texture and highs but still somewhat lacking in the mids. I talked to a person who mods the Jolida and he recommended some Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH and they did the trick. Exactly what I was looking for, great bass extensions, mid bass, great mids, great highs without being harsh, a bigger soundstage, and more texture and depth.

Regards,
      Mark

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Cool, thank you both. I may be in touch mark to get you're thoughts on some things after I get it burnt in and feel like tinkering.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I only have about 20 hours on my Jolida and am quite satisfied. Smooth, no where's near as brittle sounding as what my Denon, Philips, or Onkyo was. The bass is deep, controlled, has a punch to it. The highs seem to be much softer, not lacking, just noticably softer. I suspect I will try and get around 100 hrs on it then begin tinkering with the tubes, just because. The mechanical side of it appears to be very good, heavier than h*ll, fast responses to commands, and displays anything I would need to know about the disc. I have also liked the fact that my system is dead quiet, and this blends right in, silence. I am one who is all about bang for the buck, and feel I found another in this cd player.

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Glad you are still loving you new toy Bob!
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

You bet, Thanks again Jim.

Comment

• mark4x4
                • Jul 2004

Glad you're happy with your purchase, I'm a value type of person myself. I was able to get the Jolida at a really good price, but even at full msrp it's a good value. If you go to Sound Odyssey.com, you can see all the mods that can be done, I suspect not all mods are created equal. I found that the easiest and the one that makes a huge difference was swapping out tubes. I may swap out the stock caps for Black Gates and replace the clock.

What are you using for interconnects? They made a huge difference in my system.

Regards,
                Mark

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

Thanks for the heads up on the site Mark, is good to know. As far as interconnects I am using spendy brand x off the shelfers. I may have to get a hold of Doug and check on some silver, as I have read these are quite good. What are you running Mark?

Comment

• mark4x4
                    • Jul 2004

I bought some bulk solid silver DH Labs BL-AG and put Eichmann Silver Bullet Plug termination on, they improved the sound over my Nordost Blue Heavens. From my amp to preamp I'm running some Harmonic Tech Truthlink, but my goal is to use the DH Labs for all my interconnects. I may try some Cat cable that they sell here, but I'm very impressed with the DH Labs. I've demo'd some DH Labs speaker cables and was not very impressed, if I would use one word to describe them, it would be "dark". I'm very happy with my speaker cable (I've demo'd about 6-8 cables) which are the Nordost Blue Heavens.

Good luck and have fun,
                    Mark

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

Mark4x4,
                      How did you replace Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH? Did you do it by yourself by unplug old tube and plug in new tube?

I'm in the market for a CD player and i heard a lot of good things about Jolida 100A. I live around Maryland where the manufacture is but i don't know any dealers in the area since Jolida website does not list the dealers.

Basically, i am looking to replacing rotel rcd-1072.

thannks.

Comment

• NMyTree
                        • May 2004

Call Jolida. Their number is on the website. They'll give you the information you need, for finding a dealer.
                        Tony

Comment

• JKalman
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
                          Anyone run any Jolida gear? Have been snooping around their cd players and rumor has it they make a dandy. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them, Thanx
                          If you can afford to spend more, you should check out the Cary Audio Design CD303/300 CD Player. Check out all the settings you can play with on this CD player. It has both tube and solid-state analog output stages. You can switch between all these sampling rates on the fly, 44.1, 96, 192, 384, 512, and 768kHz. It decodes HDCD, albeit in software.

You can read the other finer details here at Stereophiles website, whom gave the Cary CD303/300 an "A" rating in their yearly ratings bible, or whatever it is called... It does cost $4000 dollars though, four times the price of the Jolida, LOL. I was considering it but decided on something higher in price for my system.

I'm currently waiting for the Ayre C-5xe which was $6000 (universal stereo player), which I felt sounded better and plays a lot more formats as well. I do still want to get this player, perhaps this would be the perfect player to put upstairs with headphones and a headphone amp/preamp (instead of the DAC1 I was considering -- hmm this seems like an excellent plan actually, since I wouldn't mind switching this component between systems along with my Ayre C-5xe anytime I want a change in flavor).

Stereophile Review of the Cary CD303/300

Comment

• audiofan
                            • May 2004

yeah...i read about Cary 303/300 as well. Darn, it's way over my budget even though i would like to have one. Therefore, i am downgrade with other cdp. One thing i wish that Jolila JD-100A has HDCD as well. I am still in between rcd-1072 + DAC-1 or get a new cdp such as Jolida, Arcam, Cary.... Jolida is probably is in my budget, but i don't know if it can beat rotel rcd-1072 big time or not.

Comment

• JKalman
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by audiofan
                              yeah...i read about Cary 303/300 as well. Darn, it's way over my budget even though i would like to have one. Therefore, i am downgrade with other cdp. One thing i wish that Jolila JD-100A has HDCD as well. I am still in between rcd-1072 + DAC-1 or get a new cdp such as Jolida, Arcam, Cary.... Jolida is probably is in my budget, but i don't know if it can beat rotel rcd-1072 big time or not.
                              I think there are more things you can do with the DAC1 combo, than with anything else. In the future when you upgrade to a better player, you can use the DAC1 for headphones, etc. Jolida has that tube output stage which could be fun to play around with as people have mentioned, but that costs money to play around with also. I don't recommend Arcam, make sure you demo their CD players thoroughly, I didn't like their FMJ CD33, but perhaps you will like the FMJ CD36. I would find a way to demo everything. With the DAC1 it is easy, you order it, try it for a week and if you do't like it send it back. You might want to do that one last though, so when you get it you know how you felt about the other equipment and can keep it if you like it best.

Comment

• DL86
                                • Sep 2005

You can always get a musical fidelity x-10v3 tube output buffer. I'm guessing the MF x-10v3 is far superior than the tube outputs on the Jolida JD100. So this will also bring the performance level up a notch on the rotel rcd-1072.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2003

There is another alternative that isn't quite as costly as the Cary, has HDCD and outperforms the Jolida and the RCD 1072 handily. The Shanling CDT 100a is also quite georgous and it's build quality is impecable, where the build quality of the Jolida leaves a lot to be desired. By replacing the tubes with WE 396s the performance of the CDT100a becomes world class, heads and sholders above the Joliida. I own both. The CDT100a can be purchased new in the $1300-1500 range.

I'm not sure that the Jolida is better than the Rotel in any significant way. Its sound is just different, and it costs a bit more.
                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• gostan
                                    • May 2003

While more expensive than the Jolida JD100 or the Shanling CDT 100A, remember that your authorized dealer has a lot more room to move price-wise with the Cary CD303/300. It is as good as Stereophile and others have rated it. I have listened to the Shanling, the Jolida and the Arye C-5XE along with the Arcam CD36 in my home system and chose the Cary as being the best for my system at the particular price point. The Ayre is simply superb sounding, but there are so few Ayre dealers that it is extremely difficult to get any more than a cursory minor discount, making this player even more expensive when compared to the Cary and the others.

After several months I too, like Jerry, am ready to undertake some tube rolling in order to determine how it changes the sound.

These are all good players, far superior to listening to cd's on a dvd player, so listen to them, make your own choice, and enjoy
                                    Stan

Comment

• NMyTree
                                      • May 2004

The Eastern Electric Mininmax CD Player also decodes HDCD.

Then there's also the Vincent S6 CD Player. Tubed.......HDCD.....and a very sweet player.

The manufactor's website:

The Vincent US distributer:

You're best bet is to try and audtion as many of the players suggested in this thread, as possible. They are all excellent suggestions. And then......some maybe not suggested here.

As gostan said :

" I have listened to the Shanling, the Jolida and the Arye C-5XE along with the Arcam CD36 in my home system and chose the Cary as being the best for my system at the particular price point. "

That is the key to it all. How any given CD Player (or any component for that matter) sounds in YOUR system.

Good luck and have fun with it!
                                      Tony

Comment

• audiofan
                                        • May 2004

I actually have tube buffer X-10V3 . It was good on my old system. Now i have plinius 9200. X-10V3 is kind of reducing the detail , but the detail is back when i unhook the tube buffer. Plinius has warm sound( as people might say) and it is a great toy IMO. So I would like to get the most out of it.

I didn't realize that tube is costly even though i think i don't have to replace it all the time. Probably it will be expensive if i want to try different tubes...

I had a chance to look at some Arcam cdp. To me, the build construction is not impressive compared to Rotel rcd-1072, but Arcam cdp 192 is awesome, but it does not play HDCD .

I think i will try DAC-1 to see if the sound is better or not.

Comment

• tboooe
                                          • Jun 2005

audiofan, did you get a chance to hear the plinius preamp? I am looking for a new preamp that is slightly on the warm side of neutral that is excellent with imaging and presentation. i woud love to hear your thoughts on plinius.

Comment

• audiofan
                                            • May 2004

tboooe,
                                            I only hear Plinius integrated amp 9200. It's warm , but not too warm, smooth and detail. The low end is great, IMO. I can feel the bass punches in my stomach. Since Plinius 9200 is excellent in my system, i would assume that pre-amp must be good too.

I used to own Rotel pre-amp/amp, but i'm pretty happy with Plinius now. The only thing i will upgrade is cdp, but not sure which one yet. Totem actually recommends Plinius cdp and Ayrex 5, Rega Apollo.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Apr 2003

I ordered some Electro Harmonic 12AX7 EHs for the Jolida. Hopefully it will help the sound which is way short of the sq of the Shanling.
                                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                • May 2004

The Jolida is not known for being the last word in detail and transparency.

But it's a great player for hundreds of my favorite rock CDs, which were not recorded to ideal standards. It is very forgiving of those bad recordings and manages to make some wonderful, musically involving, toe-tapping, air-guitar/Air-Moog Synthesizer playing good times :B :T

I love the Jolida for all that it's not.
                                                Tony

Comment

• gostan
                                                  • May 2003

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                                  I ordered some Electro Harmonic 12AX7 EHs for the Jolida. Hopefully it will help the sound which is way short of the sq of the Shanling.
                                                  Jerry: I sent JimmyP a set of the Electro Harmonix 12AX7's late last Summer after I returned my Jolida player. You might ask him if he ever rolled them in and what the results were.
                                                  Stan

Comment

• JKalman
                                                    • Nov 2005

I used to own Rotel pre-amp/amp, but i'm pretty happy with Plinius now. The only thing i will upgrade is cdp, but not sure which one yet. Totem actually recommends Plinius cdp and Ayrex 5, Rega Apollo.
                                                    Ayrex 5? I can't find info on this. Is it Ayrex or did you mean an Ayre player?

Comment

• audiofan
                                                      • May 2004

Oop...sorry, typo.

Yes, it's Ayre cdp .

Also, i heard that Arcam Diva 192 is great too, but it does not have HDCD. It doesn't matter much since i have only a couple of HDCD discs.

thanks.

Comment

• JKalman
                                                        • Nov 2005

Oop...sorry, typo.

Yes, it's Ayre cdp .

Also, i heard that Arcam Diva 192 is great too, but it does not have HDCD. It doesn't matter much since i have only a couple of HDCD discs.

thanks.
                                                        I didn't like the Arcams with the Wolfson DACs, at least the FMJ CD33. Perhaps it was just the FMJ 33CD unit though. The 192 was basically the same unit for a much cheaper price, which is why they upgraded the FMJ CD33 so quickly I heard, to make the FMJ CD36 worthwhile. You would be surprised how many discs have HDCD, they don't often list it on the cover or on the CD, you only find out when you put it in a player that lights up a HDCD light on the machine or which types it out on a LCD screen.

Comment

Working...
                                                        😀
                                                        😂
                                                        🥰
                                                        😘
                                                        🤢
                                                        😎
                                                        😞
                                                        😡
                                                        👍
                                                        👎
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"