X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I Wish I Had The Cash. . . . Elgar/Purcell Deal

It's too rich for me right now, but I thought I'd put this out there for ya. There's a DCS Elgar DAC on Audiogon for $4,875 and it's companion DCS Purcell Upsampler for $2,200. 8O

FYI, you're looking at about $20,000 worth of equipment right there.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

DAC's are a very interesting thing. Once you have speakers that cover the range and seem transparent, DAC's make the most impact IMO.

Especially for those of us spoiled by computer as a source, aka music server. Running a cal sigma dac right now, and being swayed by tubes. Also going to be trying out a theta unit.

I can't really get into upsampling though. I had tinkered with EMU sound cards and found that when I upsampled, I lost information. Someone try it, foobar or jriver upsample Norah Jones come away with me cd and I think it is seven days where a guitar solo gets faded. The engineer in me is perturbed by idea of adding resolution to 16bit/44.1 khz. Thus extremely interested in ack dack.

Right now, it seems that the tube output stage of the dac i'm using brings out a missing track or band so to speak. A friend wasn't impressed by same unit as he thought hi freq's were lost. Haven't picked that out yet myself.

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

David, I hear you loud and clear, that is an awesome deal!

8O
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"