X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

Satellite Radio

I'm putting together a hi-end HT system. I've seen differing opinions on the quality of satellite radio. Should satellite radio be a part of this system? Or should I just stick to CD's and DVD's?
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

Why not have it? The quality will be better than regular radio and less than CD, but if you just want to have some variety of music playback ability I think it's a great way to go.

Andrew

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

:agree: I am adding it to mine next week. I have already put it in a few Custom homes. I am putting one in the home that I am doing now.

Polk makes a sweet Sat Tunner. That is the one that I use. (No Discrete IR Commands though ) Kenwood has one that has better remote functions, but I think it looks ugly, and like the Polk one better. (Plus the polk has the nice 232 port that makes up for the lack of IR comands. And it works well with touchpads! Sorry Rambling along....)

If you go with a new Yamaha AV Receiver or the new Pioneer they Have the Sat Feature built in.

But my vote it definatly add it!

Edit:
      PS: The IR commands are not looking good for the Polk. It is not going to work very well in a house that has 2 MX-850 Remotes. :cry: Just wanted to update that.
      Last edited by Snap; 11 July 2005, 22:54 Monday.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• eddiem67
        • Jun 2004

Denons new 4806 is Sat ready
        My Car Audio

Comment

• Stockinv
          • Jan 2005

Thanks for the info. Can anyone else suggest other satellite tuners?

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

If you have digital cable or satellite TV, they have digital music stations as well.

Just something to think about before dishing out another monthly fee.

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

I don't know about quality, or how important that is to you for radio listening but, you might want to think about using internet radio through your system. One advantage it has over Sat. or Cable is that it isn't so homoginized. You can locate stations that let the DJ pick the music instead of a program director.

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Stockinv
                Thanks for the info. Can anyone else suggest other satellite tuners?
                What exactly are you looking for? I am sure that we can just go down the list of all the Sat Recievers out there.

AV Receiver with Sat Radio is Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, and the Denon 4806 (thanks Eddie)

Just the Tunners to many to list...Kenwood, and Polk. Polk is XM and Kenwood is sirrus.

If you are wanting to take the reciver with you that is a whole different animal.

More info on what it is that you are for sure wanting would help.

Can't find the Kenwood one right now sorry. :cry:

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Stockinv
                  • Jan 2005

Does anyone have the home based Kenwood Sirius Satellite Receiver? I believe the model number is DT-7000S. Can you recommend it?

Comment

• Snap
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2005

Yes that is the model that I was refurring to. I have used it. And several other custom installers that I am good friends with have used it.

Like I said it is the only one that has the discrete remote codes needed to run the system with a MX-850 or some other high end remote. The only other SAT radio that is better is the Crestron system, and .....well it is a Crestron...nothing more needs to be said.

A great unit. In fact I swapped out the Polk for the Kenwood in the house I am doing, simply for the remote abilities. I had to pull the Sirrus antenna extender today! I removed the XM one and installed the other.

I hope that it helps.

And something to make you feel good, the Kenwood is under $275! So it is not like you are breaking the bank on the unit.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"