X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Listened to jm Lab's Micro Utopia Be

A little slice of heaven.

Spur of the moment... trudged to one of the dealers in Manhattan after work with an intent to listen to a jm Lab set. Salesmen approaches... asks me my listening habits, what I'm currently using, and what I prefer/would like to improve... To my surprise, suggested exactly what I had in mind, the jm Lab Micro Utopia Be.

With no personal discs on hand, I browsed their small library.... picked out Pink Floyd DSOTM, Clapton, Creedence, Counting Crows.

These are large bookshelves but the bass from these jm Lab speakers was still a bit startling. Probably the most solid and extended bass I've heard from bookshelves. Midrange... terrific. Voicing was crisp and liquid without being upfront but there was a slight raspiness on some tracks... Treble was extended and clean, not bright but had the right amount of bite personally... I think overall, the salesman was fairly accurate in summarizing that the jm Labs share similar characteristics with B&Ws but are definitely less bright while being more transparent and balanced across the spectrum...

Plan is go back with some of my own, more familiar CDs and get some more time in with them while listening to their lower end offerings.
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

I heard those a couple of months ago and I thought they were pretty decent sounding, my sentiments would basically echo your own.

However I would definitely check out the lower lines as well, a number of years ago we were auditioning some of the various lines and the Electra line offered a lot of performance for less money, for instance we were torn between the Mini Utopia (the small MTM, similiar to the Center L&R today) and one of the 3-way full size Electra's, that would have been a difficult decision to make for us (but then the Nasdaq crashed so play money turned into retirement money).

Andrew

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

Yep. I'd also like to listen to the Electra 907 Be when I go back. I'd to see how much of a drop off exists in performance versus the price difference.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

JM Labs, Now available in Tweeter

JM makes deal to go in Tweeter... Wow! That's like buying a ticket on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg

Yeeesh...

Comment

• Duke
          • Dec 2004

Yea the Micro's are very nice. I have the 927Be's. I have a review on avsforum.com. Just search for 927Be. My name is MikeDuke. The tweeter is Beryllium as well. The Electra’s are very good in my opinion. I have listened to all of JM speakers at one time or another. I am pretty sure that Tweeter will go up to at least the Profile range. I absouletly love JM Labs speakers. Just look at my pofile and you will see. I can not say enough good things about them. I can't see myself changing to another brand for a while.

Comment

• lvhung
            • Jun 2005

Jmlab chorus 716 is a refer. under 1000 $

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

...as far as imaging goes it is the best I have heard.
              Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"