X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Denon 3805 with 4ohm Load

Thinking about hooking up the Phase Tech PC series to my Denon 3805. The book says 6-8 ohm load. The Phase Tech PC series are 4 ohm nominal. Denon told me 2 stories...."Our Offical statment is 6-8 ohms :nono:" unoffical... "of course it will work :T Have at it"

My questions are....

1. Has any one done this?
    2. Did the Denon 3805 hold up?

Not in the mood to....."try it" well maybe......hhummmm :roll:

If it can't hack the load, then I unload the 3805 get another receiver and an Earthquake Amp and be done with it! Or move the 3805 to the bedroom. :T

Thanks Ya'll!

Snap 8)
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Snap,

I wouldn't take the chance on a possible 4ohm load with the Denon.

Can you run the amp out of the pre-outs of the 3805?

Just a quick thought.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Snap

I have pondered the same or similar problem.

I suspect manufacturers state 6-8 ohm to avoid any warranty claims that could occurr.

I have a bridegable amp that says only 8 ohm (or higher) speakers when bridged.

As I have 6 0hm speakers, I have pondered what may occurr if I try it in bridged mode with these speakers.

From what info I can gather it appears that all could be fine, up to a point.

That point is probably reached when the amp gives up because of the excessive heat built up by running the low ohm speakers, particularly if done for long periods or at loud volumes.

As I am sure you are aware ,checking for heat build up (above the norm) would be advisable.

So, possibly it would be ok for short periods or at moderate volumes or both.

PS Then again, dont take my word for it, what would I know I dont design or make the things, or offer the warranty. LOL

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Snap,
        The 9.1's are their only 4 ohm speaker. the 3.1's are 6 ohm. Both are 92db at that level so that means to me that it will work and work just fine. Optimally? No but it will work. 92db at 4ohm is pretty efficient.

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

I had an older Denon 3300 which was rated for the same 6-8Ohm load with a set of 4 Ohm speakers hooked up to it for quite a while (Adire 281's), and I never had any problems with the setup (but again an older model, so it may or may not be the same).

Andrew

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

Yeah Shane I was planning on upgrading to the PC series, and you are right only the towers are 4 ohm. I am still not sure if I want to chance it or not. Thanks Guys! I will let you all know what I do later on. :T
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

4 ohm isn't such the problem as much as a big impedence swing and low sensitivity ala Magnepans. Honestly I doubt it will make the 3805 sweat much.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"