X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Man, I do love my Brystom Amp, but...

Man, I love my Bryston amp but Eddie Murphy must really be hurtin' these days.
    Attached Files
    Adz
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

Wonder what the rest of his system has in it?

Don't fret - I am sure he has bought this from his p[ocket change!!

Comment

• Pieter
      • Jan 2005

What can I say? The man lacks taste and has a tin ear!

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

Those Bryston amps with the black 17" faceplates sure look good to me!
        They also seem to be right up there with the big names in amps. Now if Santa thinks I am real good this year...Mmmmmmm..lol.lol.
        ......Pat

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Pat:

The best part is those pics are of the 'older' version of the SST Bryston amps. Their new cosmetics are spectacular!
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I had my first taste of Bryston pre/pow amplifiers, namely the BP-6 C Series and the 4B SST, today.

I went to the dealer to pickup my speakers and while I was there I spent some time listening to the Totem Forest's. Short version: I was impressed by how such a diminutive two-way speaker could sound so good. Right next to them were my speakers of choice, the B&W 803S's. Curiosity struck, so I began comparing the 803S's to the Forest's. Short version: The 803S's sounded inferior!!! I was dumbfounded.

Then I began to examine what was driving each pair of speakers. Bryston was driving the Totem's and ARCAM was driving the B&W's (namely the FMJ C31 (pre) and FMJ P35 (pow)). The ARCAM CD36 CD player served both configurations.

Unwilling to accept that my 803S's could disappoint, I switched the speaker cables so that the Bryston's would be paired with the B&W's and the ARCAM's with the Totems. Relief quickly set and the 803S's were redeemed!!!

I couldn't believe it. The differences were like night and day, black and white, just unbelievable. Both pairs were more open, detailed and dimensional. They sounded so swweeet.

Needles to say, you can bet when I go for separates, Bryston will be on my short list!
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Kens1
              • Mar 2005

Bryston is indeed very nice stuff. I would also short list it for my next round of upgrades. Although, I am almost positive Totem speakers will be my next purchase. The more I listen to them the more I cannot get the sound out of my head. Even the rainmaker monitors sound better than a lot of full size speakers I have listened to. Just sweet sound and non fatuiging.
              The Totem Forest or Hawk is probably what I will settle on though. Mind you I have thought about setting up a 2 channel system in the den with the Totem Arros as well. For the money the arros are simply spectacular.

Comment

• Patt
                • Feb 2005

Now...if they would only make a black faced 200 watt (minimum) integrated.
                ......Pat

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  I had my first taste of Bryston pre/pow amplifiers, namely the BP-6 C Series and the 4B SST, today.

I went to the dealer to pickup my speakers and while I was there I spent some time listening to the Totem Forest's. Short version: I was impressed by how such a diminutive two-way speaker could sound so good. Right next to them were my speakers of choice, the B&W 803S's. Curiosity struck, so I began comparing the 803S's to the Forest's. Short version: The 803S's sounded inferior!!! I was dumbfounded.

Then I began to examine what was driving each pair of speakers. Bryston was driving the Totem's and ARCAM was driving the B&W's (namely the FMJ C31 (pre) and FMJ P35 (pow)). The ARCAM CD36 CD player served both configurations.

Unwilling to accept that my 803S's could disappoint, I switched the speaker cables so that the Bryston's would be paired with the B&W's and the ARCAM's with the Totems. Relief quickly set and the 803S's were redeemed!!!

I couldn't believe it. The differences were like night and day, black and white, just unbelievable. Both pairs were more open, detailed and dimensional. They sounded so swweeet.

Needles to say, you can bet when I go for separates, Bryston will be on my short list!
                  If you are comparing amps that way, you need to make sure the output levels are matched up. I don't know what the input sensitivity of the Arcams are, but I would suspect there are differences. Don't get me wrong, I have a Bryston BP 25 and a 6B ST. Just make sure they are matched to output at the same level as one setup playing louder than another can be perceived as sounding better by default.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                    If you are comparing amps that way, you need to make sure the output levels are matched up. I don't know what the input sensitivity of the Arcams are, but I would suspect there are differences. Don't get me wrong, I have a Bryston BP 25 and a 6B ST. Just make sure they are matched to output at the same level as one setup playing louder than another can be perceived as sounding better by default.
                    Agreed. I did just that. However, I noticed the difference even when the ARCAM gain was higher (part of my testing patterns). Furthermore, the ARCAM "signature" was very distinctive and clearly obvious to me. I believe I could have easily distingushed it from the Bryston in a blind test.

Like I said, the Totem Forests actually sounded better to me than the 803Ss when it was driven by the Bryston. When I reversed connections, the 803Ss reclaimed their position as the better speaker (to me). Again, I discovered this all by accident no preconceived notions. In fact if I had picked a preference going in I would have picked the ARCAM! Ironic to say the least.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• will1066
                      • Aug 2003

I had a chance to listen to the Forests at a show last year. Even without the best setup, they were very impressive!

Comment

• will1066
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                        Pat:

The best part is those pics are of the 'older' version of the SST Bryston amps. Their new cosmetics are spectacular!

Jim, the amps in the press release are the new look. Except that I think the membrane switches in those amps are the old ones that say "SST Power". The new switches flash the particular model number now.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

The man lacks taste and has a tin ear!
                          How can you say that about a man who put on the "Raw!" concert? In that performance, he showed he has quite an ear for spoken language and gave us a new definition for, ahem, "taste". :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Adz
                            • Jan 2004

At the time, I remember his Honeymooner's bit from the Delirious concert being the funniest thing I had ever heard.
                            Adz

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"