X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

QuietRock soundproof drywall for HT

Those looking to build a dedicated home theater/listening room or otherwise soundproof an existing room may want to check out QuietRock soundproof drywall.

This website is for sale! quietsolution.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, quietsolution.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

• jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

This stuff does work wonderful. Many times it is used in Senior Apartments to deaded noise.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I moved this thread to the Spaced Out forum.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

When we start building the theater room on Orcas, I'd been thinking about using the "solitude" (1 7/16" thick) variant of this. It'll be interesting to see what this type of 'rock does to the imaging of the sound in the room, too.

P.S. I also like the 4-hour fire rating.

Comment

• Patt
          • Feb 2005

That's the first time I have ever heard of soundproof drywall.......thanks for the link
          ......Pat

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I wonder what the results would be using the solitude AND something like staggered studs....? :E
            Jason

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Interesting.
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Interesting indeed.

Comment

• Karp
                  • Jan 2005

The drywall is soundproof, but does it work by absorbing sound or reflecting it? It may prevent sound from going into other rooms, but will it make the sound in your home theater worse?
                  No matter where you go, there you are! 8)

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Greg
                    will it make the sound in your home theater worse?
                    That's exactly what I was considering in my post, too. :yesnod:

It's absorptive. Here's a quote from the literature:
                    Unique patent-pending embedded polymer layers and steel absorb sound waves and vibration unlike any other construction material on the market today.

Comment

• Tim_D
                      • Nov 2003

Cost??

Does anyone know the price of this stuff per sheet?

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

It certainly has not hurt the sound in mine....
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Amarkus1
                          • Jun 2005

I am a distributor for them. List price is $120.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet. That's for the QR-530. But it does work wonders. The sheets absorb the sound.

Comment

• SteveL
                            • Mar 2005

Wowser. I wish I had $5,520 to spend on drywall (I need 46 sheets)... plus tax...

I'm sure it's fantastic stuff, but holy cow - my total drywall order (5/8" Fire-X, 55 sheets) was under $500. I realize it's good stuff, but I'm still in shock...
                            No, that's not me in my avatar.

Comment

• Gregavi
                              • Sep 2004

I read that it was $80 per 4X8 sheet. I was going to use it until I learned the cost. Too high for me. I'll do what I originally planned, which is 5/8" drywall over 1/2" soundboard glued onto staggered stud framing. I believe this will achieve satisfactory results.

Comment

• howburger
                                • Jul 2005

Try Green Glue from Audio Alloy

I'm building my theater right now and I've decided to use the Green Glue. It sounds like the price vs. performance is much more in line. Here is the URL
                                http://www.audioalloy.com/ and here's another to a thread at the AVS forum pertaining to Green Glue.
                                Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Ok, I think I have a good idea of what I want when I win the lotto

Staggered stud framing, Green Glue on studs to two layers of alternating horizontal/vertical 5/8" QuietRock glued together with more Green Glue, acoustical sealant on every joint and seem. Ought to be able to detonate a small nuc in there and not hear it outside the room! :B :yesnod:
                                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Maybe add some RSC too
                                    Jason

Comment

• KJP
                                      • Nov 2004

My god thats expensive. I cant seem to find any absorbtion coefficient information in the data sheets for the stuff. How am I supposed to go about designing a room without that information? Always measurements after its built but what about preconstruction plans? Just throw it up and deal with whatever you get seems too haphazard to me. All the STC info looks good but it makes me very skeptical that they omit such basic information.

no?

Comment

• KJP
                                        • Nov 2004

Thinking some more about it I suppose you could just use it on walls not actually in the room just for its good looking STC.....

Comment

• Tim_D
                                          • Nov 2003

More $$$.....THX certified drywall....

Now you can get THX certified drywall....

THX AND QUIET SOLUTION ANNOUNCE THX CERTIFIED SOUNDPROOFING

Quiet Solution Introduces First THX Certified Wall and Ceiling Panels for Home Theater and Professional Studio Environments

SAN RAFAEL and SUNNYVALE, Calif., September 9, 2005 - THX Ltd., the leading provider of technologies, certification programs and quality assurance standards for the entertainment industry, and Quiet Solution, LLC, provider of award-winning soundproofing products and solutions, today announced the availability of the first THX Certified soundproofing wall and ceiling panels, QuietRock QR-545. By meeting the THX specifications for sound isolation and achieving the coveted THX certification, the QR-545 promises to deliver the professional installer/dealer community with the ultimate sound isolation solution for demanding home theater and studio designs.

Drawing from more than 20 years of experience designing and certifying cinemas, professional post-production studios and CE products, THX engineers found that the QR-545 is one of the industryís highest performing sound isolation solutions, as measured by Sound Transmission Class (STC) standards. THX will recommend the panels be used in the design of THX Certified home theaters, commercial cinemas, professional mixing and monitoring rooms, and THX Certified Games studios.

ìThe THX Certified wall and ceiling panels from Quiet Solution finally solve the problem that has plagued the media industry ñ how to isolate high-performance rooms without building a two-foot thick lead and concrete vault,î said Dr. Michael Rudd, chief of architecture at THX Ltd. ìThe QuietRock QR-545 panels represent a proven method for isolating noise-challenged media rooms of all types. Test data convinced us that QuietRock QR-545 offers outstanding sound isolation performance and meets our rigorous acoustic standards.î

Quiet Solution manufactures the THX Certified QR-545 panels using the companyís patent-pending CPG (Ceramic-Polymer-Gypsum) composite technology. In addition to being tested by technicians at THX, the 1-3/8î panels were tested by globally recognized labs at the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), which showed the industryís highest ratings, approaching STC 80, for QuietRock QR-545. This level of acoustic isolation performance is unprecedented, exceeding other techniques by 20 decibels or more. Low frequency performance exceeds 50dB in the highest-rated assemblies. This performance is achieved in a drywall-like panel that hangs and finishes just like standard drywall.

ìI have long wanted to deliver the benefits of significantly improved soundproofing technology to a much wider audience,î says Anthony Grimani, technology pioneer, CEDIA Top 5 Instructor and president of Performance Media Industries. ìNow, with THX Certification and this updated QuietRock technology, home theaters, commercial theaters, and studios can achieve unmatched acoustic isolation that worksóevery time.î

ìI have designed QuietRock panels into the most demanding music and recording studio environments for some of todayís biggest and most demanding stars and celebrities,î said Dave Frangioni, president of Audio One. ìGiven the success I have had with the earlier QuietRock products, I fully intend to start using the new THX Certified QR-545 panels in all my projects. This is exciting technology!î

Steve Haas, president of SH! Acoustics, concurs, ìMany people have tried to use techniques such as mass loaded vinyl or RC channels for 30 years with limited success. I am gratified that THX has helped to identify a true high performance solution in this important part of studio and theater design. I have used QuietRock panels in many of my largest projects for the last few years and canít wait to deploy the new THX Certified QR-545.î

The patent-pending CPG composite technology in QuietRock QR-545 uses advanced viscoelastic polymers, ceramics and gypsum in a constrained 11-layer fabrication. The standard size 4í x 8í panels are manufactured by Quiet Solution at its Silicon Valley factory and will be available from more than 250 CEDIA and building material dealers nationwide beginning in October.

ABOUT THX LTD
                                          As consumers seek entertainment experiences with greater sensation and sensory immersion, using precision science to invent new technologies has become paramount. THX is continually enhancing these consumer experiences by enabling the creation, delivery and presentation of digital content through more efficient, more powerful, and more enjoyable methods. With structured certification programs and innovative technology development, THX is embedding the science of sensation in diverse entertainment venues and influential products. Today, the worldís premier commercial cinemas, post-production studios and home entertainment products incorporate THX technologies and have achieved the coveted THX Certification. The company is headquartered in San Rafael, Calif. Its Digital Works office, offering movie and DVD mastering and post-production services, is based in Burbank. For more information, visit www.thx.com.

ABOUT QUIET SOLUTION LLC
                                          Quiet Solution, Americaís most trusted manufacturer of soundproofing products, provides world-class building materials for residential and commercial construction. Its high-tech materials provide the highest and most reliable Sound Transmission Class and Impact Insulation Class solutions on the market, as well as the first THX Certified soundproofing solution in the world. As an innovative material science and manufacturing company, Quiet Solution deploys technologies to solve large-scale problems in the construction sector. Its patent-pending, lab-tested products are based on advanced viscoelastic polymers, proprietary CPG composites, and constrained layer damping. All the companyís products are environmentally friendly and manufactured in the USA. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley. For more information visit www.quietsolution.com.

THX is a trademark of THX Ltd., which may be registered in some jurisdictions. All rights reserved.
                                          QuietRock is a registered trademark of Quiet Solution LLC.

Get the datasheet and more at www.QuietSolution.com.

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I see you are on the mailing list too.

Comment

• brendon
                                              • Aug 2004

Required Urgently!!
                                              THX certified home theater couch,carpet, light fittings ,media storage center ,popcorn and curtains to match my THX certified Marantz SR7500 amp.
                                              Where will it end? :E
                                              Brendon

Comment

• Snap
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2005

:laughat:
                                                The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by brendon
                                                  Where will it end? :E
                                                  End? You assume this will end? Silly boy. :B

Comment

• Snap
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Feb 2005

Just released for HT in bedrooms!

THX certified sheets, pillows, and beds. Sheet designed to aim the sound up to the ears of the person. Provided that you are on a THX certified pillow!

:rofl:

sorry guys...could not resist.
                                                    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• brendon
                                                      • Aug 2004

Also required any data required to test wife for THX compliance as she sits next to me on the couch and must affect sound field as much as the drywall would.How much would Lucasfilm charge to get her tested and certified? :B
                                                      Should I leave her on the couch when using setup microphone and leave room myself to get an acurate reading(kids too?).
                                                      Brendon

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

I'm not going ANYWHERE near that one. . . . :nonod:

:B

Comment

• brendon
                                                          • Aug 2004

If my amp was only THX select certified would there be any advantage to having an Ultra certified wife ?
                                                          Should I upgrade?(hmmm.. WAF could be a real bugger on that upgrade path and almost as expensive as the drywall.)
                                                          Absorbtion coefficeints Eh?Would that mean a larger wife would.....
                                                          Brendon

Comment

• prime2134
                                                            • Nov 2005

I used a product call Acousti-trac

I used a product called acousti-trac. You can run it around corners because the panels are behind a layer of fabric that snaps into a track. the track can be layout againist the wall or ceiling. Then they put the foam behind the fabric. It worked out nice. Acousti-Trac is based out of Canada but I found an installer in the states.

Comment

• KeithM
                                                              • Oct 2005

what are the values of that drywall that make it cost so much?
                                                              EDIT: is anyone else wearing there THX ceritified underwear? Man, it makes such a difference in the bass response.

Comment

• htjames
                                                                • Nov 2005

I looked at quiet rock also (at one point), and you can get it for under $120 a sheet. but there's freight. and then there's the growing pile of quiet scrap as you cut the drywall with a carbide blade in a circular saw!! Maybe I'd have the wife do that part...

One thing I've picked up that makes a LOT of sence is that STC doesn't measure my bass in the room. STC goes down to like 120 (maybe 100??) hertz, and our sound is way below that. SO high STC doesn't mean as much.

Curious, how does quiet rock do down to like 30 hertz?

Comment

• kidkj2000
                                                                  • Dec 2005

Get your very own THX Ultra III certified air purifier. It will make the air in your HT sound better.

Regarding the
                                                                  THX will recommend the panels be used in the design of THX Certified home theaters, commercial cinemas, professional mixing and monitoring rooms, and THX Certified Games studios.
                                                                  That's BS! No theater will buy the stuff at that price. Not going to happen. Maybe some mil--- er Billionaire mansion HTs, but common, get real!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

I'm sitting right now in my THX theater eating my THX certified crackers and THX certified cheese.

So when you use your circular saw (THX certified of course) to cut that drywall, does it make any sound, or is it all absorped by the drywall?

Unless you've got unlimited funds, you definitely need to chedk sound proofing capability vs. expense when choosing what construction methods and materials you use in your theater. For me, double (normal) drywall with staggered studs, Acoustiblok vinyl matting, and standard insulation worked out pretty good.

kidkj, nice avatar! Hopefully none of the guys here have a problem with it.
                                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                    😀
                                                                    😂
                                                                    🥰
                                                                    😘
                                                                    🤢
                                                                    😎
                                                                    😞
                                                                    😡
                                                                    👍
                                                                    👎
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"