X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

New room, new challenges!

Well, I just bought a new house today. Signed the contract tonight!

This poses a new challenge to fit my gear into the space provided.
    Like any first home buyer its not a palace, the lounge room measures 9ft x 11.5ft. Not huge.

This means that the one of the couches has to be placed against the rear wall (see drawing attached). I'm a bit concerned about the placement of the rear speakers in the new room. Since the couch is right against the wall I'll have to mount the rears right above the couch. I'm going to use my trusty Polk M3II that have been doing computer hifi duites for awhile. I belive the angle mount they provide might be a solution to the problem. If I do use the the Polk M3II angled towards the couch (not pointing downwards but angled) mounted high on the rear wall, might this be a good solution or is there something I can do better?

The surrounds are Polk RT25 's and are going to be mounted so they radiate directly outwards no tilt, is this a good idea too?

My Denon AVR-2805 does have a full auto setup with the mic but I don't want to compromise too much

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Considering the space it looks like you have it laid out pretty well to allow an open feeling of the room.
    If you were to swap places with the equipment & the couches you wouldnt have that lonley surround out in the hall but at the same time it may just give it a more closed in crowded feel as you walk into the room.
    Concerning palcement...can you try them in place temporarily before pulling any wire through the walls or before any permanent mounting?
    ......Pat

Comment

• Anton
      • Oct 2004

Thanks for your reply Pat,

When you mentioned:
      If you were to swap places with the equipment & the couches you wouldnt have that lonley surround out in the hall but at the same time it may just give it a more closed in crowded feel as you walk into the room.
      Is this the layout you had in mind (pic attached). I'd like to have everything this way but I'm thinking it's abit too cramped plus not to wife friendly.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

mmmmmmmmmm now that is a bit different.....I was thinking swapping the entertainment center & sub with the LR & RR speakers.

I'm really not a pro....maybe one will jump in here and share some experience...
        ......Pat

Comment

• Anton
          • Oct 2004

I didn't think of you suggestion, its a good one! :T

Its not the most HT friendly space, "shoe horning" two floorstanders, tv, centre, sub, 4 surrounds and equipment is going to be an interesting job to undertake. Running the speaker cable through the walls and ceiling is another thing I'll have to tackle once i get the position of everything right. I was thinking of wall mounting the equipment to save on floor space, using wall mount like the pic attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Patt
            • Feb 2005

Those wall mounted racks seem like a good way to save on space. The one you have is the best I've seen yet.
            Make sure you anchor securely to the wall studs or blocking for a solid support.
            ......Pat

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

You can find another brand HERE

PLEASE, PLEASE read the weight requirements on these wall mounts before purchasing and match it up with your gear.

Congratulations on your new purchase it will be an exciting time for you. The one safe way as Pat recomemded is to do try-outs. Work with your wife and maybe a friend (or referee).
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Anton
                • Oct 2004

Getting slightly off topic....

This is taking the conversation away from my original concerns, but....
                Last night after afew beers and some thinking I decided to design up my own wall mounted shelf unit made from steel U-Plain channel, box section steel arms, wood supports and MDF (maybe glass) shelves. It will need to hold up some weight so it would be fixed to the wall with bolts going right through the studs. Being 2200mm and about 500mm off the wall it would have to be pretty well secured. I estimate that with gear it will weight 40 to 45kg.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Anton
                  • Oct 2004

Afew more renderings....
                  Attached Files

Comment

• saurabh
                    • Feb 2005

hi anton,

You might aswell put a thick glass on top in continuity, instead of small square glasses. This will add to your space or might aswell build a wooden shelf, but frankly speaking your initial stand layout was much better and space saving and would be easier to operate than this one. Other than that, its a matter of personal preference.

keep working....enjoy!
                    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Anton
                      • Oct 2004

I did up a crude 3D model of my new lounge room (the rear wall is missing for visual purposes, all is to scale).

Does everyone think that this is a suitable arrangement? I'm going to run all the cables for the rears next week so its crunch time.

Having 7.1 with the rears right up against the rear wall with the sofa directly below worries me......anyone with a similar arrangement?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Anton
                        • Oct 2004

Well.......after having abit of a chat with my local HT guy I've set my sights on this set-up for my new houses HT/Lounge room. I'm going to make the custom wall rack from steel and have it powder coated and use glass shelving. Since floor space is at a premium wall mounting is (IMO) the best way to go.
                        The only thing I'm still sketchy on is whether to go with the full 7.1 or use 6.1. The room is small and fitting 2 rears in might be overkill not only sonically but visually also. As mentioned earlier my Polk RT25's will be doing the surrounds and for 7.1 the Polk M3II will be doing the rears. If I decide to do 6.1 I'll use the Polk CS175 for the rear, its a better cosmetic match and sonics are much closer to the RT25. The lounge room itself is 9ft x 11.5ft, with the hallway alongside it square at 11.5ft x 11.5ft.

If anyone has any more thoughts on the 7.1 VS. 6.1 in a small room it would be good to have some more opinions

The 3d models have been fun to do, flexing apart of my brain that has been unused since University. They are all to scale and pretty accurate with the finishes too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Anton,
                          I thought I'd answer your PM here - for completeness
                          The lounge room in my new house is 3.5m square and as I mentioned above, I will have to put my couch against the rear wall.
                          So....from all of this info I have some questions that are going to help me with my set-up:
                          -Are your side surrounds book shelf speakers or dipole/dipoles?
                          Bookshelf's - dipoles are more intended for longer rooms like a traditional movie theatre. In a smaller room like yours they have no / little (depends on model) forward output and the sound bounces from the rear wall and front wall mostly missing you or confusing the sound stage. I would recommend bookshelf speakers mounted above head height and angles down. I have done this in several friends houses - works a treat with better sound stage that the more diffuse dipoles.
                          -Have you experimented with angling your ceiling mounted rears at the wall behind the seating position to enhance the rear effect with some reflection?
                          Yes - and it varies the rear sound stage quite noticeably - moving it backwards in a worthwhile way.
                          -How far from the side walls are your rear surrounds mounted?
                          They line up with my side surrounds at about 850mm from the rear.

I hope this helps. And if you have the amps for 7.1 - I'd just do it! :T

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"