room acoustics treatment opinions please!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basementjack
    • Dec 2004

room acoustics treatment opinions please!

In short I'm looking for peoples stories and experiences with treating their listening rooms.

I'm considering mine, but I'm afraid that I might make things worse instead of better.

Does anyone have any room treatment stories they could share? Has anyone ever made a room sound worse ?

- Jack
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Worse? No not really but overly dull was what happened to me. I installed Permacoate Linacoustic on the bottom half of my walls and put a indoor/outdoor carpet on the upper half which with the insulated acousitc ceiling tiles makes for a very dull room. That's great for movies but it sucks some of the life out of music. I've made some mod's since then with more movie posters and other tweaks that have helpped a lot but I guess a word to the wise...too much of a good thing may lead to problems.

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

Andrew: Did the insulated acoustic ceiling tiles benefit not only the sound, but also the sound transmission to your upper area?

And do you mean insulated "acoustic ceiling tiles" (separate insulation in the ceiling) or "insulated acoustic ceiling tiles"?

Greg
      Gregor

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

When I first buit my room I noticed before any of the flooring was installed I had a slight echo. After the padding (9/16") and the carpet was installed it was totally gone.

My walls are sheetrock and simply painted... no treatment whatsoever. Later on I decided to invest in a small amount of treatment just to see if I could hear any difference/improvement. I purchased these Respond panels and placed a tall one each behind my front speakers... two each in front of my front speakers on the side walls where the first two reflections were.

The difference... minimal at best... but there was a slight difference in sound. I would have to say it's for the better. Had my room been more lively in the beginning it might have made more of a difference. Bottom line though... I liked it before and after I spent the ~$500. Was it worth ~$500... ehh... not really. I'd take my money back if I could get them off the walls without damaging them and the walls and could find someone to pay me for them... but that ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"