X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsmag
    • Dec 2004

Looking for theater loungers

Anyone know where I can get some theater loungers locally? I am in Michigan.
    I really like these ones for the money ($2200)and if I can't find them locally I will probably order. Thanks Rob

• junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

You could try A/V Systems in Rochester/Novi.

I know they have some there, not sure what price range or brands etc...

I'm looking for some once the budget allows, to replace my old loveseat.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

In that price range, approximately $1400 - $2200 USD, you owe it to yourself to check out the Ekornes Stressless line of loungers (recliners with ottomans). They are very supportive for comfortable sitting through more than one movie and multiple CDs or SACDs without back strain or stress. Although very well made in Scandinavia, they are also comparatively light weight, so they are easy to move around for movie watching, conversation, cleaning underneath, etcetera. The premier home theater store here in Houston, Audio Concepts, sells them, as does Danish Inspirations. To find a local dealer in your area, you can call the Ekornes dealer locator information line: 1-888-331-3118

With any chair that you plan to sit it frequently, for a long period of time each time, I recommend that you sit in the specific chair you are planning to purchase for at least 45 minutes at the dealer (or at a friend's house if they have they exact same chair) before purchase. If it is still comfortable to you at the end of that time,then it will likely be a good choice foir the long haul. If you feel the need to constantly change position, or are constantly fiddling with adjustments once you've settled in, then it probably isn't the right one.

I sat in a chair that LOOKED marvelous, and would have fit my HT decor quite nicely, but it hit my shoulders the wrong way and it would have never been comfortable. Ekrones makes another model that is styled the same but has different physical dimensions, and it fit me perfectly. That's the one I bought, and it has proven to be very comfortable for the years I have owned it. In fact,.it is my preferred place to sit in the house, in preference to a special "ergonomic" desk chair, etcetera. (I'm sitttng in it right now.) :>)

It's worth spending some time looking around and trying out various alternatives before plunking down your hard earned cash, because not only are the chairs likely to be a long term investment, but they may well prove to be the detrmining factor (more imprtant than the audio and video gear) in deciding whether you want to spend an evening watching a movie IOW, if they are really comfortable and supportive, over the long run, you'll look forward to sitting in them and be glad you made a wise investment. But if they aren't, you'll wish you hadn't wasted your money on them while you sit on the floor with a pillow. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yup, LOTS of options available with recliners. Ekornes are popular. Me, I went with Salamander Design's Matteo theater seating, and really love them. Very comfortable, but don't take up much floorspace. I have tactile transducers installed in them, too. Less money than the model you mentioned.

Click HERE for the Salamander website

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Karp
          • Jan 2005

Aren't the Salamanders shown a little high-backed? It seems to me that you would want the backs below ear-level to keep from blocking sound from the surrounds.
          No matter where you go, there you are! 8)

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

They have medium backs with adjustable headrests. The cool thing is, is you really want to have no blockage behind you, you just pop the headrest off.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

rsmag: Where are the chairs from that you show in your introduction? Have you had a chance to sit on them?
              Roly

Comment

• freon
                • Mar 2005

I picked up 6 Lane Hollywood's in leather for 3k
                Peerless furniture in Lansing.
                also Art Van furniture in lansing carries the lane Majestic.
                My Media room construction page

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Even though I'm not even close to replacing my beat-up green couch with comfy leather home theater seating (probably late summer), I'm starting my research.

I went to one of my in-town furniture shops to check out what they offered. He is a Berkline dealer, and gave me some prices. For 3 "Group 90" chairs (a whole with 2 add-ons) I'm looking at just over $2k in black leather. Holy Moly!

Reading Chris' post about Salamander Designs, I found that my local hifi dealer sells their product line. Just got an eMail back, 3 chairs (a whole with 2 add-ons) in the Matteo line will run me $3500! Holy Crap!

So I'm still looking. Berkline is at the top of my list though. I need three reclining seats (or seats with ottomans) and my budget will probably be around $2k. Cupholders, black leather, and a minimum distance behind the seats when reclined are all plusses (along with cheaper price :B).

Any ideas?

EDIT:Here is a picture of the Berkline Group 90 home theater seats. I would be going with straight arm rests though and not the wedges that curve the seating. I also prefer black leather.

~Nick

Comment

• 77engineer
                    • Mar 2003

I have 2 of the 090's and I think they are great. I have them with the electric recline option and it is the only way to go. I am going to try and order 2 more for the riser a little later on this summer.

Adam

Comment

• freon
                      • Mar 2005

The lane hollywoods can be had for under 2k...I think you can get 4 of them for 2k leather in black.
                      My Media room construction page

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                        • Jan 2005

LA-Z-Boy has an HT line that I bought from.. Great quality delivered in about 10 weeks

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

While the prices may seem high, seating is not the place to "cheap out" in our home theaters. If we plan to spend a lot of time there, we owe it to ourselves to be comfortable and healthy doing it, and having proper back support is crucial to that.

Compare the cost of the seating to the rest of the equipment and then compare the cost of really good (properly supportive) seating to the cost of back surgery and/or rehabilitative physical therapy. In the end, a good seat is a real bargain. (No pun(s) intended). :>)

Burke

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                            Former Moderator
                            • Jan 2002

Did you know that in addition to beauty and Bucks, to make sure that the chair is right for you, you should sit straight-up in the chair........make sure your feet can touch the floor* (of course) Now, your lap should be level** and the crease of your leg should fit snug*** over the edge of the chair seat? At this point you can check for proper lower lumbar support**** and the height of the armrests.*****

Check it out
                            *Otherwise they'd be sticking out in the way of people wanting to pass by, You'll be pressing on veins could result in muscle cramps.

**Increases strain on your back, you tend to lean forward (Elbow on knee). Increases your body weight on the knees when getting up. (Seat's too low). Never able to get straight up and out without sliding forwards first. If you have something in your hand like a Heineken might just spill ;x(

***Ensures proper support for the whole body. Getting up made easy. No leg cramps.

****Back support needed for long movies. (No need to explain further).

*****Helps to push off when getting up and brakes your fall when sitting down. Right height means that your shoulders should not get elevated when your arm is on there. Also reduces fatigue.

And that my dear friends is what goes into just buying a simple chair 8O
                            Last edited by Clive; 04 August 2005, 23:32 Thursday.
                            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

Thank you Clive, that was very informative. I will certainly consider these ergonomics before I make my purchase.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

I've recently decided not to purchase Berkline or any other furniture with this ratio of price/quality! Took a look at some actual units from Lazboy and Berkline, and there is no way I would ever pay $2k+ for three chairs with that type of build quality! It's a pile of cheap wood, stamped steel parts, regular 'ole leather, cheap foam, and sweatshop-like stitching.

What a bunch of junk! :rofl: (JIMHO of course)

I'm either going to have to spend more money, or build some basic chairs/ottomans myself with kits.

EDIT: Tried out some Ekornes by the way, and they were kick-@$$!
                                Too rich for my blood though. :E
                                ~Nick

Comment

• junior77blue
                                  • Nov 2004

So, how much money do you have to spend to get something 'good'??

Comment

• Adz
                                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                    So, how much money do you have to spend to get something 'good'??
                                    Well, not much more. I just ordered Acoustic Innovations from BHuskins at Media Design Center. I've searched and searched and these theater chairs are solid and pretty reasonably priced for what you get. Check it out. My configuration is a captains chair (which is mine!) connected on each side to 2 love seats - about 135 inches of seating area - basically 5 chairs, 27 inch wide seating.
                                    Notice: Undefined variable: description in /home/acousticinnovations.com/public_html/templates/layout.php on line 6
                                    Last edited by Adz; 05 August 2005, 14:19 Friday.
                                    Adz

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Adam, that should be a very nice arrangement. :T What color did you get?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

I could come and lounge in your theater if you really need theater loungers. How about it guys, anybody else in?

I just don't get offering furniture when he's looking for people to lounge.
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Adz
                                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                                          Adam, that should be a very nice arrangement. :T What color did you get?
                                          I got two-tone suede. The outer frame is black and the cushions are scarlet (a really nice deep rich red). Very theater looking. I'll take pictures when they arrive.
                                          Adz

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Lex
                                            I just don't get offering furniture when he's looking for people to lounge.
                                            Lex -- I think the answer to your question is the advice to a "lounger" in the lyrics to the song "Consider Yourself" from "Oliver!":

"Consider yourself at home.
                                            Consider yourself one of the family.
                                            We've taken to you so strong.
                                            It's clear we're going to get along.
                                            Consider yourself well in
                                            Consider yourself part of the furniture."

Burke

Comment

• Lex
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Apr 2001

Ahhh ha! I see Burke.

Kidding aside, my theater, while casual live in style does feature my can sitting in what Burke recommends. Everyone else can sit on the floor, this reduces the budget to the price of 1 Ekornes chair. :B I truly love my chair which is black leather with black base. I'd like to have had the brown wood really, but I bought what was on special and in stock when I got mine so I got it for like 1200-1300 I think. I would love to have some more of these someday if and when I do a theater right.

Doug
                                              Doug
                                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Nick M
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

What do you guys think... fake Ekornes!

I need to replace my fugly couch with three chairs, and I'm capping my budget at ~$500ea. I dunno... still looking. I won't be buying anything until the end of the month.
                                                ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Well, if Ekornes are the appearance and style you prefer, those look like some great options, Nick!
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                    • Sep 2001

Nick -- From the photos, those chairs look great. But the real test is in the sitting -- for an extended period. I hope they are both properly supportive and comfortable in addition to being relatively economical.

Burke

Comment

• Nick M
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

I dunno. They look good, but as Burke said that says nothing about how they feel...

Still have a few weeks before I have all the cash in hand anyways.
                                                      ~Nick

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Apr 2001

I went with a "Conversation piece" as Lazyboy calls it. Nothing cheap about it in terms of quality and construction.

The Berklines I looked at along with the Lazyboy version and the Lane version. The Berklines were the least expensive and if you order thru avs you get a healthy discount. The local shops were quoting me $500ish with fabric while I could go the leather or suede or microfiber route for less thru avs.

I have also sat in the Ekornes and while they are nice, I would not be wanting to sit in those for multiple hours. I felt the Berkline or Lane type theater loungers were much better for movie watching. I would never buy furniture unless you can sit in it and evaluate it yourself. This is not a cheap purchase so you want your money to go along way.

I can tell you that the Lane/Berkline/Lazyboy route won't dissapoint you. They've been in the business for a LONG LONG time and do a nice job of it.

Comment

Working...
                                                        😀
                                                        😂
                                                        🥰
                                                        😘
                                                        🤢
                                                        😎
                                                        😞
                                                        😡
                                                        👍
                                                        👎
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"