• Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dedicated Theater Room Size

Hi!!

I am just wondering as what would be considered the
    most practical size room for a dedicated HT room.
    This would also be housing a FPTV system and a 106"
    Screen.

We are building a new home, So I will now
    have the luxury of designing my own room
    in the near future.
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Congratulations, Trevor! It is great to be able to design an HT from the ground up, instead of having to retrofit an exisiting space.

Although you have said you are planning a dedicated HT, one preliminary consideration in the overall design is whether you will ever want to do anything else in the room besides watch movies and listen to music.
    - Will you snack or eat a meal while watching? (You may want a wetbar and microwave close by in addition to or instead of a cute popcorn cart.)
    - Play games (single or multiple player -- you'll want to be able to store the controllers out of sight when not in use, but have an easy way to plug them in close to where the players will be using them)?
    - Are you thinking about something like the D-Box tactile transducer system? That requires some extra space and other connectivity considerations.
    - Use the computer to access the internet or whatever from your primary listening position?
    - Take or make phone calls? (Chatting on the phone during a movie is not recommended, but you'll still need a phone jack in the room for TIVO to call the mother ship or whatever.)
    - Just sit and chat? If so you'll want to be able to easily move the chairs around, (not have them bolted to the floor), even if they are on different levels of risers.

First and foremost, whatever the overall uses intended for the room, you want it to be big enough to comfortably handle all the seating positions you plan to include, with adequate room around and between rows to allow safe and convenient navigation to and from the seats with other people already seated, which would probably automatically mean enough leg room for people to stretch out comfortably while seated and watching/listening.

Second, it needs to be large enough to provide proper distance from the projector to the screen so that you can set it up without "tricks" that might degrade the projeted image. That can vary depending on projector design, but there are a number of "distance calculators" available at various sites including Projector Central and DaLite.

Third, the design should allow sufficient space to allow adequate storage for your media and equipment (unless you plan to house them separately for a clean "theater look" in the dedicated HT itself).

Notice I have not said anything about the actual dimensions. You still have some conceptual planning to do (or share with us) before we start talking specific numbers. But it is good that you are asking the questions now instead of after construction has started. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Trev. Posting outside TTP???? 8O :B

One thing to consider right up front are the dimensions of the room. You'll want to go with a depth to width to height scheme that will minimize standing waves. There are several "Golden Ratios" for minimizing problems of this nature. The only one I remember off-hand is:

1.00 (width) x 0.61 (height) x 1.61 (depth)

I'll scrounge up my documentation and post the other pertinent ones. FWIW, there are three other ratios that work well. More later. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Trevor, my dedicated room is 18 feet long and 12 feet wide at the front and 14 feet wide at the back. My front row seating is at 13 feet and my screen is 105" diagonal. I will be building a riser and adding a second row perhaps over the winter. But if I had to do it over again, I'd probably make the room a little longer-- say 20 feet.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

- Just sit and chat? If so you'll want to be able to easily move the chairs around, (not have them bolted to the floor), even if they are on different levels of risers.
          My room was a retro fit but its undergone multiple changes over the last couple of years as our lifestyles have changed. In that regard I started out with a riser and two rows of seating but gave that up several months ago when it became clear that no one ever really sat in the back row and the space was better served for other things. I've not got the air hockey table and the dart board back there and its open enough for my daughter to play around in. My chairs are all easy to move around as well which makes the room more flexible.

The one thing that I have yet to change is that with only 4 wall scones my room is too dark to really entertain in so I'm going to add a few pot lights on a seperate wall switch.

As for the dimentions the golden ratio is a good place to start to minimize the nulls

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

if you can build from scratch, the golden ratio is the first thing I'd look at, before you start pouring $ on gear.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Trev,

Here are the three other ratios in height x width x depth format:

Room 1 - 1x, 1.14x, 1.39x
              Room 2 - 1x, 1.28x, 1.54x
              Room 3 - 1x, 1.60x, 2.33x

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hey Guys!!!

Thanks for all the information!
                Outstanding.:T
                Burke..;x(

There is more into the planning than what I originally thought.
                Anyways,,The room is for a dedicated Theater only..Screen 106" ,Equipment and
                my DVD's, Lasers,,and the seating.

I received the FloorPlans for the basement which indicates the area that I can
                build the room into. Basically it would be 14' wide by 19' feet long. I am not sure of the height of the basement. It's a Bi-Level though.
                Also, I can modify the size abit by positioning the audio rack to be inwall, so that it could be accessed out side of the room or a seperate door. Could do the same with the media.
                This would create a 14'x19' room with seating , screen and speakers only in the room.
                That would be the maximum size I could go.
                I could make it smaller if I needed to.
                I will get more detail and play around with design more , after Christmas , as I am pretty busy right now.

Thanks again for the input!
                Good Stuff..:yesnod:
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Also, I can modify the size abit by positioning the audio rack to be inwall, so that it could be accessed out side of the room or a seperate door. Could do the same with the media.
                  That's a must IMO.

I wouldn't go any narrower then 14' if you can help it. My room is only 12' wide and I am constantly wishing it were a couple of feet wider. 19' deep isn't too bad to work with as mine 24' deep but I use the last 5' or more as a play area for my daughter

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Trev, mine's 14' x 22'. Depth is great, but like Andrew said, I wish I had about 2 more feet in width. You can definitely make it work with 14' width, just don't try to put too much in there.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Looks like I may be able to go Wider..
                      Like 16'..However 19' seems to be my maximum length.

However, if the formula is 1.60 X 2.33
                      and the ceiling is 8 feet, Which I am not 100% sure.
                      Anyways the ideal dimesnions would be..8ftH X 12.8ftW x 18.64ftD
                      Therefore my original 14x19 works out perfect. :yesnod:
                      And yes,,All media and gear built outwards from the room dimensions.
                      How Cool is that!!:T
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Trev, I would as a rule compromise the golden rule for space comfort. If adding the 2 extra feet makes the room so much more livable, then it would be worth it in the end even if the audio is somewhat shy of optimum.

I'd also go as dark as you can walls and ceiling. It would make so much better of an experience. The ceiling I notice especially much.

Lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bent
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2003

Chris, do you find 22' depth suitable for 7.1 (seven channel)?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

22' deep should be easy for 7.1. Functionally my rooms about that given the placement of the front false wall.

Trev I'd go for 16 wide if you can as it'll make it much easier to get proper seating in. 14' wide would be doable as well but you might not be able to have the seating you want. The golden ratio is fine for planning but at the end of the day I'd rather deal with acoustic problems with some bass traps or an EQ then live with a room that you wish you could rebuild.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                              Trev, I would as a rule compromise the golden rule for space comfort. If adding the 2 extra feet makes the room so much more livable, then it would be worth it in the end even if the audio is somewhat shy of optimum.

I'd also go as dark as you can walls and ceiling. It would make so much better of an experience. The ceiling I notice especially much.

Lex
                              Lex,,That's the one thing I hate right now ,,is my ceiling.
                              Being set up in a none dedicated room. A multiple functioning room ,
                              my walls and ceilings are white. The ceiling lights up a considerable amount,
                              creating a bright room.
                              Definately not suitable for FPTV.

Space is not an issue. I want this room for movie watching only.
                              I will have other rooms for other activities available.
                              Optimum sound is going to be my goal, with a comfortable seating area.
                              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                22' deep should be easy for 7.1. Functionally my rooms about that given the placement of the front false wall.

Trev I'd go for 16 wide if you can as it'll make it much easier to get proper seating in. 14' wide would be doable as well but you might not be able to have the seating you want. The golden ratio is fine for planning but at the end of the day I'd rather deal with acoustic problems with some bass traps or an EQ then live with a room that you wish you could rebuild.
                                True!
                                The reason I had put down a size dimesion of 14' x 19' is due to the location
                                of the basement posts. The 19' is the length from the side stair case to the side wall. That is permenant.
                                The 14' in width was limited to the location of the furnace and the the basement posts.

However
                                On the floor plans we were able to relocate the furnace into a far corner.
                                Also, We just received the quote to install steel beems in the basement
                                which will eliminate the need for basement posts.
                                The cost to do this is $560, so we are going that way.
                                This means we will have total flexibility through out the design of the entire basement..:T
                                How cool is that! :B

I can go wider if I need to now,,However I will be limited at the 19' length of the room, since we will be placing the room in the front corner of the basement. I also omitted the window that would have been located at the outer wall on that side.
                                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                  • Dec 2004

As far as the Golden rule goes(1x1.60x2.33) , are you saying if you have a nine foot ceiling, then you multiply nine by 1.6 and 2.33 coming up with a room of 9x 14.4x 20.97? I am building a room with a nine foot slanted ceiling, sloping down to probably 8.5 or 8 feet, and the current dimensions are planned for 18x23. Are you saying it would be worth my time to shrink the room 2 feet in length and 3.5 feet in width? I would lose some serious space, but I think I would do it if it really improved the sound tremendously. Sorry to ask my own question here, but maybe it will help Trevor. Thanks
                                  Roly
                                  P.S. Should I start my own thread on this? Framing starts in a week!!

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Matt, these ratios were calculated to give a room size that minimizes the effects of room interactions. A few inches one way or the other might not hurt, but if you get away from them by any substantial amount, it'll increase the effects the room has on your audio.

I can attest to this. My first HT was basically an ideal "Room 2", whereas the room I'm using in our newer home is way off any of the combinations. I've been tinkering for a couple of years and still don't have the same level of satisfaction I had with the first room. It's getting close, but. . . .

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                      • Dec 2004

David: So what dimensions would I look at? The actual wall, or say I have shelves or something? Would I measure from the outside of the shelf? Bookshelves? I have to put the components somewhere, how do these subtract from the total? I can see it would be best to build the room to exact dimension and have the equipment behind the wall or flush, but what if I can't do this? Thanks for your time.
                                      Roly

Comment

• Vincehoffman
                                        • Oct 2004

Golden Ratio room dimensions.

Hey Roly,

The golden Ratio thing assumes a rectangular room. The idea behind designing a room around "golden Ratio" ideals is that the standing waves that develop in the room are evenly distributed avoiding gross irregularities in the bass. When one dimension is evenly divisable by another, the standing wave resonant frequencies for one dimension stack on top of the others creating large peaks and nulls which make placement of both your speakers and listening positions tough. In your case the slanted ceiling kinda kills the goldern ratio rectangle so don't sweat about it. Go for max size possible with the proviso that no one room dimension should be evenly divisable by another. EG 24x16x8'=bad! 24x17x9=OK. Got it? Bass traps and Abfusors are indespensable and a great way to fine tune a room but they don't work miracles. When starting from scratch, well chosen room dimensions can make your life a lot easier. Buy yourself a copy of The Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest and be enlightened.

Happy Trails!
                                        Vince@freewheelcycle.com

FYI- My dedicated room is 20.5x14x11' and based around the 3rd or 4th choice suggested in THE BOOK. seriously, jump on amazon.com and order a copy.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                          • Dec 2004

Here is a pic of my room so far. With the angled corners and the sloping room, I guess I will be fine. Thanks. I will get me a copy. There are a few HT books I need to buy.
                                          Roly
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"